Welcome to TMP's trying to conceive, pregnancy & parenting forums!
TTC & Pregnancy Tools: Ovulation Calculator | hCG Calculator | Due Date Calculator
The TMP Store

Preconception, Pregnancy, Parenting & You

Hi moms & moms to be! mom message board Welcome to The Mommy Playbook message board - a ttc, pregnancy and parenting forum.

Our mommy forums are filled with fun, chatty & supportive women.  We'd love it if you'd join us!  You'll find there's something here for everyone.  Our trying to conceive - fertility forums are a great place to share your stories & chat about getting pregnant.  The pregnancy and parenting forums are filled with way too much to list here, but we do have to mention Due Date Clubs!

Membership is absolutely free and registration is fast and simple so come on in and join our community of mommies and moms to be today!! Members enjoy fewer ads, access to private forums, private messaging and so much more!  

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please feel free to contact us.

Go Back   The Mommy Playbook > Nutrition, Diapering and More > Breastfeeding Support

Brestfeeding and supplementing questions - Breastfeeding Support

Old March 25th, 2012, 09:26 PM   #1
LaRhonda86

Member #: 17722
Brestfeeding and supplementing questions

Hello ladies, I am thinking about breastfeeding when my baby is born. I tried (briefly) with my son, and want to give it another try. I tried to exclusively breast feed, and I really wanted a break sometimes. Would it be ok to breast feed most of the time, but maybe on occasion give a bottle of formula? I was thinking I could give a bottle when we are out and I can't really get away to feed, or when I desperately want a nap and my husband could watch the baby. Have any other moms done this with success?

Also, I was wondering about leaking milk while asleep. When I tried before I would wake up with wet hair because my milk had leaked and ran up my chest. How can I keep dry at night?

LaRhonda86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please register or login to remove these ads.

Old March 25th, 2012, 09:34 PM   #2
Lindsay

Member #: 9094
You need absorbant breast pads at night...there are lots out there. For most, the leaking doesnt last long.

As for supplementing, yes you can give a bottle of formula, but for at least the first few months, anytime you give a bottle you need to pump anyhow or you risk diminishing your supply.

HTH

Lindsay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2012, 09:38 PM   #3
September
Mama 2 Five

Member #: 6131
Breastmilk is made on a supply/demand basis. Any supplementation can impact supply, especially if it's before your supply is well established and your baby is a good nurser. After your baby learns how to nurse and your supply is well established an occasionally bottle won't hurt, some mothers even pump and bottle feed regularly with no issues but you typically have to even it out with either pumping or extra nursing sessions. If you'd like to supplement I would suggest you look into pumping and giving pumped milk instead of formula, one reason being to keep your supply where it needs to be.

As far as leaking at night, or leaking in general, I am a heavy leaker and have found resuable pads made out of organic hemp to be very absorbent. The ones I use are from The Willow Store (online), though there are other brands.

Regarding getting away to nurse-completely not necessary! Put your baby to breast anytime, anywhere (s)he needs to nurse. It's your legal right.
Quote:
Va. Code 2.2-1147.1
Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a woman may breast-feed her child at any location where that woman would otherwise be allowed on property that is owned, leased or controlled by the Commonwealth as defined in 2.2-1147.

Va. Code Ann. 18.2-387
No person shall be deemed to be in violation of this section [Indecent exposure] for breastfeeding a child in any public place or any place where others are present.

September is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2012, 09:46 PM   #4
Katyanne
Raymond's Mom

Member #: 10243
For the first few months, I used disposable pads at night, they were the only thing that kept me dry! The reuseable ones are really comfy though, and they can help I've heard that you can also use towels if you aren't into disposable pads, I had a friend use them!

I agree with the other ladies with supplementing. For the first few months, your milk is really supply and demand, if you do too much supplementing, your milk supply will dip. I would suggest as they said, pumping if you needed to get away.

Also, if you're concerned about public feeding, you could always invest in a good cover and nursing tops. They make public feeding very comfortable and discreet, no matter how modest you are (like me! lol)

Good luck with nursing your new LO!

Katyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2012, 09:50 PM   #5
September
Mama 2 Five

Member #: 6131
I used disposables, only one brand of disposables (Lansinoh) held me. Then I discovered the reusable hemp pads and never looked back! They're beyond awesome and I recommend them to everyone, especially those with over supply and/or over active letdown like me.

ETA: Here are the ones I use: http://www.willowpads.com/products/h...e-nursing-pads
Well, well, well worth the money! I have 5 or 6 pairs and only use one or two sets in a 24 hour period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katyanne View Post
For the first few months, I used disposable pads at night, they were the only thing that kept me dry! The reuseable ones are really comfy though, and they can help I've heard that you can also use towels if you aren't into disposable pads, I had a friend use them!

I agree with the other ladies with supplementing. For the first few months, your milk is really supply and demand, if you do too much supplementing, your milk supply will dip. I would suggest as they said, pumping if you needed to get away.

Also, if you're concerned about public feeding, you could always invest in a good cover and nursing tops. They make public feeding very comfortable and discreet, no matter how modest you are (like me! lol)

Good luck with nursing your new LO!

September is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2012, 09:50 PM   #6
smashleigh
lucky :)

Member #: 13147
The problem with supplementing once in a while is that it snowballs. Soon you are having supply issues and supplementing even more you would have to supplement at the same time of day so your body knows not to make as much milk during that time, which I don't think is what you want to do.

When I was new to bfing and not comfortable with nursing in public, I would just feed her before I left the house. If she got hungry while we were out, I would feed her in the backseat of my car in the parking lot. Worked for me! Then I didn't have to worry about dragging around bottles and finding somewhere to warm it up!

smashleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2012, 09:58 PM   #7
smashleigh
lucky :)

Member #: 13147
Oh and I have totally done the "I'm going to sleep! If she gets hungry, there's a bottle in the fridge!!" and then I just pump however much she ate when I wake up from my nap heaven! He has also been on baby duty at night and I've just pumped in the morning. I don't recommend that until your supply is well established though, bc I was short a few ounces overnight.

But it is totally possible once things are established!

smashleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2012, 09:15 AM   #8
reddlox

Member #: 11243
I also wanted to mention something that I'm not sure everyone knows. One of the benefits of breast milk is it's ability to help form a protective lining on the stomach and GI tract. This lining helps to protect the body from allergins. I'm sure you've heard that breastmilk can help babies to be less susceptible to allergies, right? Well, this lining gets stripped with the first bit of formula you use and won't come back. For the best protection for you baby from future allergies, nursing exclusively without formula is necessary until at least 6 months. Pumping and feeding breastmilk would be OK though. You can read more about this in The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding if you're interested.

reddlox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brestfeeding, questions, supplementing

The Mommy Playbook > Nutrition, Diapering and More > Breastfeeding Support