Welcome to TMP's trying to conceive, pregnancy & parenting forums!
TTC & Pregnancy Tools: Ovulation Calculator | hCG Calculator | Due Date Calculator
The TMP Store

Preconception, Pregnancy, Parenting & You

Hi moms & moms to be! mom message board Welcome to The Mommy Playbook message board - a ttc, pregnancy and parenting forum.

Our mommy forums are filled with fun, chatty & supportive women.  We'd love it if you'd join us!  You'll find there's something here for everyone.  Our trying to conceive - fertility forums are a great place to share your stories & chat about getting pregnant.  The pregnancy and parenting forums are filled with way too much to list here, but we do have to mention Due Date Clubs!

Membership is absolutely free and registration is fast and simple so come on in and join our community of mommies and moms to be today!! Members enjoy fewer ads, access to private forums, private messaging and so much more!  

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please feel free to contact us.

Go Back   The Mommy Playbook > TTC - Trying To Conceive Forums > Trying To Conceive

The Great Orgasm Debate. Yes? Or No? - Trying To Conceive

Old April 21st, 2009, 06:19 PM   #1
Coney Island Baby

Member #: 8383
The Great Orgasm Debate. Yes? Or No?

So I tried googling for the answer to this question, but I kept on getting very inconsistent replies. And I Googled my little heart out, until I gave up and decided to just ask all of you. It's not even anything that ever occurred to me before, until I read it somewhere today. (On that link about what to do & not do during your 2ww).

Is it dangerous to have an orgasm while you are waiting for implantation to occur? Some people were saying that the vibrations and involuntary muscle contractions can disrupt the delicate task of implantation, and cause you to miscarry before you even know that you were ever pregnant. They were all insisting that you should not have any orgasms during your 2WW. And others were insisting that this was not true, and an old wives tale. But it does make some medical and scientific sense to me. Enough so, it is true that I am now feeling slightly anxious about having a big O anytime soon. Especially from 7-10 dpo, when implantation is said to occur.

What have you heard? Where do you stand on this issue? This is all new to me.

Coney Island Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Please register or login to remove these ads.

Old April 21st, 2009, 06:20 PM   #2
ladystrawberry

Member #: 8095
Whoa...... I have never heard this at all....and if this has any validity to it, I am going to feel majorly guilty after this past cycle.

ladystrawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2009, 06:25 PM   #3
Coney Island Baby

I know, right? I had never heard of this either! But you know that link that somebody was sweet enough to post for me (forgive me, I forgot who posted it), about ways to help you through your 2ww? On that link, it mentioned this. And my brain went, "WHOA! Is that TRUE?!?!" So I started to google, and now I plan to look through my books that I have here about pregnancy.

When I googled, it took me to some other message boards where this was being discussed, and even though I didn't join those boards, it let me read the thread. Many of them who are doing IVF were told by their doctors to NOT orgasm for a few days after a treatment, for this reason. And other women on the board said that was ridiculous, and this was of some debate. (And while I am not currently doing IVF because I have only just begun to TTC, if women who are doing IVF were told not to orgasm in order to avoid this side effect, doesn't it stand to reason that the rest of us should all do the same?)

Now I'm wondering if I just shouldn't take any chances. I don't know. I mean... I really like having orgasms. A lot.

But I also REALLY want a baby. So... I don't know. Can the contractions that happen in your pelvic region during an orgasm really make waves wild enough to prevent implantation? Do you understand what I'm asking?

So weird that this never occurred to me before today. I'm all confused now.

Last edited by Coney Island Baby; April 21st, 2009 at 06:28 PM..
Old April 21st, 2009, 06:36 PM   #4
MomofBoys
Loving being a Mommyx3

Member #: 7391
From what my doc has told me its perfectly fine to have orgasm after TTC...It WILL NOT cause a Miscarriage ...

Actually my DR encourages orgasm..He said the contractions can actually help guide the egg to the uterus and help implantation, and may even help reduce Ectopic Pregnancy..

MomofBoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2009, 06:39 PM   #5
TXmommy24

Member #: 6860
I asked our dr. about this too. She said that there is no harm done at all.

TXmommy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2009, 06:40 PM   #6
MamaBlee

Member #: 24374
If it helps, I have never had an orgasm during sex, ever. And I've been pregnant more than once. Don't worry if you don't get off It'll happen.

ETA-guess I didn't read this post right, I thought you were asking if you had to orgasm in order to get pregnant.

MamaBlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2009, 06:42 PM   #7
ladystrawberry

Member #: 8095
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharliesAngel86 View Post
If it helps, I have never had an orgasm during sex, ever. And I've been pregnant more than once. Don't worry if you don't get off It'll happen.

ETA-guess I didn't read this post right, I thought you were asking if you had to orgasm in order to get pregnant.
Aaack, that's unfortunate!

But yeah, I had lots of happy times during the 2WW last cycle.....I certainly hope that didn't cause what happened to happen!

Now I'm paranoid.... DH is not going to be happy when I tell him no sex during the next 2WW!

ladystrawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2009, 06:46 PM   #8
Coney Island Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomofBoys View Post
From what my doc has told me its perfectly fine to have orgasm after TTC...It WILL NOT cause a Miscarriage ...

Actually my DR encourages orgasm..He said the contractions can actually help guide the egg to the uterus and help implantation, and may even help reduce Ectopic Pregnancy..
OH THANK GOD!!! I like your answer best! Hahaha! Now THAT is what I want to hear! I hope your OBGYN is right, because that would be awesome.

Tags
great, orgasm, yes?, debate

The Mommy Playbook > TTC - Trying To Conceive Forums > Trying To Conceive