Welcome to TMP's trying to conceive, pregnancy & parenting forums!
TTC & Pregnancy Tools: Ovulation Calculator | hCG Calculator | Due Date Calculator
The TMP Store

Preconception, Pregnancy, Parenting & You

Go Back   The Mommy Playbook > Parenting & Family Forums > The Preschooler Playground (ages 3-5)

Anyone else not starting Kinder until 6? - The Preschooler Playground (ages 3-5)

Old October 11th, 2013, 03:21 PM   #1
Casey

Member #: 6646
Anyone else not starting Kinder until 6?

My oldest, Lincoln, has a mid-July birthday and I do not intend to start him in Kindergarten until he is 6. I am getting quite a bit of backlash from family/friends b/c he is clearly gifted and they are afraid he will be "bored" b/c he will be ahead of his peers.

But I am a teacher and know what Kindergarten has become and I do not feel that he is developmentally ready. We do hands-on learning, read and talk about stories and explore his interests/questions at a deep level, but he is not interested in sitting still to write for more than about 5 minutes and he is not interested in trying to learn to read (although he knows the letters and their sounds). I intend to let him enjoy his learning at a developmentally appropriate level as long as possible b/c I see firsthand every day the devastating results that occur when children are asked to complete tasks that they simply are not ready to do yet.

Thoughts?

Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Please register or login to remove these ads.

Old October 11th, 2013, 03:34 PM   #2
Fayth
Lead Guide
a ninja of love

Member #: 732
You know your child best! Although, I wouldn't make a final decision until late summer. Lil m, my oldest, has a July birthday. The year before I would not have thought he was ready, but by the time he was 5 he was totally ready.

Kindergarten isn't kindergarten anymore. It's sad

Fayth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2013, 03:39 PM   #3
gouldie

Member #: 5706
My oldest won't start until she's 6 because she has a September 5th birthday and the cutoff is September 1st. She's already excelling in preschool now so I'm a bit nervous about her having a second year of preschool also but we don't have much of a choice.

gouldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2013, 04:11 PM   #4
Hamslice

Member #: 6324
I agree, you know your child best! I have an August birthday and was 6 when I went to kindergarten. I was always one of the oldest in my class, but that wasn't a big deal.

Hamslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2013, 07:10 PM   #5
Mommytogirls

Member #: 18920
My dd has a mid july birthday. I am really torn on letting het start at 5 or 6. She is only 3 now so i do have a little while to decide. My oldest dd also has a july birthday and she started at 5. She did ok in kindergarten but first and second grade she struggled so much. I put her in a tutoring program the summer between 1st and 2nd and half of 2nd grade. It helped her and by 3rd she was caught up to most of the other kids. She's now in 4th grade makes really good grades and loves school. I just hate that she struggled so much and hated school during that time. It was awful. Every child is different though so my youngest dd might be ok.

Mommytogirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2013, 03:05 AM   #6
MamaBee

Member #: 8034
I think you know what's best for your child! I'm kind of glad that my girls' birthdays both fall after our Sept. 1st cutoff so I don't have to make that decision. I think it will be nice to have them on the older end of their grades.

That being said, in our district, you have to be 5 to enter kindergarten. If you're 6 prior to Sept. 1st, you automatically go to first grade, and they'll move you down to kindergarten after two weeks if you're not showing signs of success. I think it's an absolutely ridiculous policy!

Is Lincoln in a preschool program now? And if he starts kindergarten at 6 and clearly excels, would there be the option to move him into first grade?

MamaBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2013, 06:21 AM   #7
Dante

Member #: 7104
I have lost sleep over this very issue since I was pregnant with my Sam with a September due date! I think it really depends on the child. We have no choice because Sam misses the cutoff. There is an early entry option but we'd have to undergo psycho/educational evals to prove she is "gifted" & then she would not be placed in our base school. With our 2nd child a year behind her in school that would be tricky.

I really struggle because my Sam is an old soul. She is very mature for her age, a rule follower, & excels in academics & social skills. I know she would do well going to kdg & turning 5 a few weeks later. Her preschool teachers last year & this year tell me how they attempt to challenge her but as a teacher myself I know she gets pushed to the side because she is who she is & doesn't require the attention. She is also always paired with a needy friend which has kind of forced her into the "nurturer" role. Not a bad thing but I think that will always be the case.

I'm just torn on this because I know who my girl is and I know what our kdg classes are like. I can only hope the extra year will be much more valuable for decision making in the teen years!

My baby has a late may bday. She would be one to hold back as she is my party girl where Sam is my serious girl!

We even struggle with preschool with her bday. We are repeating a 3's class this year so we can do 4's class next year even though her teacher said she would do well in a 4's class. this year her class has 11 boys (many of whom turned 3 this summer) and 4 girls. I volunteer in the class weekly and there is a giant range of skills.

And not that physical size matters in developmental matters but my newly 4 year old is in the body of a 6 or 7 year old. She is a good 8 inches taller than the tallest kid in her class.

Last edited by Dante; October 13th, 2013 at 06:23 AM..
Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2013, 01:50 AM   #8
pamplemousse
♥ Byron's mommy ♥

Member #: 2393
You know your child best AND the curriculum. I say do what you feel is right.

My son will be 5 and a half when he starts school.

^ Mistakes? Blame (M)iKeyboard.

pamplemousse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kinder, starting