Welcome to TMP's trying to conceive, pregnancy & parenting forums!
TTC & Pregnancy Tools: Ovulation Calculator | hCG Calculator | Due Date Calculator
The TMP Store

Preconception, Pregnancy, Parenting & You

Go Back   The Mommy Playbook > 2008 - 2012 Playgroups > September - December 2009 Playgroup

Dealing with other kids - September - December 2009 Playgroup

Old February 9th, 2016, 08:46 AM   #1
Megan's Ark
Lead Guide
Dreams Come True

Member #: 5354
Dealing with other kids

Ok ladies. . .I need help/advice and I know you are the perfect ones to ask. Our GS troop is CRAZY!!!! We have several girls who don't listen, talk over others, won't sit still etc. Those girls then get some of the other girls wound up and it can take forever to get the troop calm enough to do the activities we have planned.

I'm hoping we don't have to break the troop up. . .but the girls do work better in smaller groups (it's easier to control) but even then each group has a few girls who aren't respectful enough to sit and listen.

Sooooo advice/thoughts/tips on how to control the crazy???

Megan's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Please register or login to remove these ads.

Old February 9th, 2016, 09:45 AM   #2
Dante

Member #: 7104
Do we share the same girls?????????

Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2016, 10:04 AM   #3
Dante

Member #: 7104
This year we are a K/1 troop of 14. I think next year we are splitting into Daisy K and Daisy 1. We try to break up our 90 mins with 10-15 mins of a quiet activity & then 10 mins of a loud, active activity. Plus letting the girls set the agenda seems to help. And promising a dance party at the end has worked for us!

I'm about to lose my mind over my Sunday School class along the same lines. We have anywhere from 2-18 each Sunday with no help. I alternate months with another teacher who I fear will quit. We have the pre-k, k class. I even see S & A get jacked up. . Once a week with a different make up in hard to manage. We have rules but really no consequences since you can't be booted from Sunday School. Next year we are doing an awesome new curriculum that is inter-generational & will be much more meaningful we believe. Hope we survive til then.

We do a lot of positive supports, give special jobs, & do fun things but a group of 4 boys are so disruptive whenever they show up.

Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2016, 10:31 AM   #4
Megan's Ark
Lead Guide
Dreams Come True

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante View Post
Do we share the same girls?????????
Kids these days just blow my mind. Anytime I do scouts or help out at school I give another prayer of thanks for wonderful teachers who have to put up the the poo day in and day out. Drives me crazy.

Old February 9th, 2016, 10:34 AM   #5
Megan's Ark
Lead Guide
Dreams Come True

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante View Post
This year we are a K/1 troop of 14. I think next year we are splitting into Daisy K and Daisy 1. We try to break up our 90 mins with 10-15 mins of a quiet activity & then 10 mins of a loud, active activity. Plus letting the girls set the agenda seems to help. And promising a dance party at the end has worked for us!

I'm about to lose my mind over my Sunday School class along the same lines. We have anywhere from 2-18 each Sunday with no help. I alternate months with another teacher who I fear will quit. We have the pre-k, k class. I even see S & A get jacked up. . Once a week with a different make up in hard to manage. We have rules but really no consequences since you can't be booted from Sunday School. Next year we are doing an awesome new curriculum that is inter-generational & will be much more meaningful we believe. Hope we survive til then.

We do a lot of positive supports, give special jobs, & do fun things but a group of 4 boys are so disruptive whenever they show up.

Oooo I really like the dance party idea. . .gives them something to look forward to.

And I can only imagine how frustrating it would be in Sunday school. There are a few girls who I would love to boot out of our troop for that reason. . .but how do you kick a kid out of GS

Good luck with your crazy kids too Dani. . . I know it's frustrating to us as adults but I have also seen some of the girls in our troop getting upset with the girls who are keeping them from having the best GS experience they can have. Makes me sad for them.

Old February 9th, 2016, 07:53 PM   #6
Cinnamon320
Mama to 3 and 3 angels <3

Member #: 4404
I have a group of boys in my class who just don't care. I have 13 boys and 8 girls. It's kind of sucky to be a good kid, because the bad kids take all of my attention.

Cinnamon320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2016, 09:10 AM   #7
Megan's Ark
Lead Guide
Dreams Come True

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamon320 View Post
I have a group of boys in my class who just don't care. I have 13 boys and 8 girls. It's kind of sucky to be a good kid, because the bad kids take all of my attention.
Yes. . .I remember that even from when I was in school. I felt like I got punished for being good and doing what I was supposed to do. I hate that the girls feel like that. Which is another reason we want to get on this with GS. . .it's bad enough they get it in school, GS is supposed to be fun while getting some life lessons in. We also have the advantage of having several moms as co-leaders. If some of what we plan to do doesn't work I may suggest just taking the demon children into their own separate group

Old February 12th, 2016, 09:20 AM   #8
Megan's Ark
Lead Guide
Dreams Come True

Oh and I have to add a big Thank You!!! I really don't know how teachers do it day in and day out with some of the attitudes kids have these days. You ladies are amazing!!

Tags
dealing, kids