Welcome to TMP's trying to conceive, pregnancy & parenting forums!
TTC & Pregnancy Tools: Ovulation Calculator | hCG Calculator | Due Date Calculator
The TMP Store

Preconception, Pregnancy, Parenting & You

Go Back   The Mommy Playbook > 2008 - 2012 Playgroups > 2012 Playgroups > November 2012 Playgroup

It's been a long time....how big was everyone at birth? - November 2012 Playgroup

Old November 14th, 2014, 10:56 AM   #1
ladystrawberry

Member #: 8095
Heart It's been a long time....how big was everyone at birth?

Yesterday this little guy measured 2lbs 12 ounches at 29 weeks.

I'm starting to get really nervous. She said that could mean he will be 7lbs at 36.5 weeks (when I have him).

Kieran was 4lbs 6 ounches at 36 weeks 1 day. I don't know why it's freaking me out so much, I knew this one was bigger but it just seems like a lot. Kieran didn't hit 7lbs until almost three months.

How big was everyone at birth and how did that compare to ultrasound growth measurements? Were they accurate? Doesn't 7 pounds seem like a full term 40 week baby? I always thought that's why Kieran was so little, because he was a 36 weeker.

Also, in case you haven't seen:

ladystrawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Please register or login to remove these ads.

Old November 14th, 2014, 11:03 AM   #2
Lindsay

Member #: 9094
I had an 8lb 7oz and 8lb 2 oz. Both were 40 weeks

Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2014, 11:38 AM   #3
roziecakes
Maisie & Lyric's Mommy ♥

Member #: 16954
I was 8 pounds when I was born, and I was born at 38 weeks. DH was 10lbs + when he was born and was born at 41 weeks according to my MIL.

My babies were really different from each other, although I had scans for both babies at 38 weeks and both times they told me baby would be 9 lbs.

Maisie was 7lbs 8oz. They told me that was pretty normal. Maisie was born at 40weeks and 1 day.

Lyric was 10lbs 14oz, and she was born at 39 weeks.

I think if Lyric had been born at 36 weeks she probably would have been about 7 pounds, but that is just a guess.

roziecakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2014, 03:15 PM   #4
MusicTeacher

Member #: 14277
Lyla was born at 37 wks 4 days and was 7 lbs on the dot. In the 2 weeks leading up to her birth, I had multiple ultrasounds that estimated her weight between just over 6lbs up to about 7.5 lbs.

MusicTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2014, 08:09 PM   #5
ladystrawberry

Member #: 8095
Both myself and this baby's father were 10pounders full term. I always figured I'd have huge babies but then Kieran was itty bitty. I was really hoping for no more than 6lbs. That sounds weird, but with the post-surgical pain I'm having when he's only 2lbs.....I imagine the next 50 days are going to be pretty rough as he spikes up in size. I mean, I guess it's a good thing, right? That means a really healthy baby or something??? But my jaw just about hit the floor when she said "He'll be 7lbs". That's like at the "high end" of all newborn clothes sizes that I have. I'm used to a teeny tiny preemie.

I'm so big...how much further can my body stretch? I already have stretch marks in places I never knew they happened (I didn't have one with Kieran, not even one).

This is normal to worry about right??? I was so worried about other stuff last time that I never had time to worry about the size factor. I just assumed I make teeny babies....I had no idea I'd be baking such a big one. I really have no idea what it genetically depends on, either. Since I was such a monster at birth, prior to Kieran being so little, I thought baby size depended on parent's birth weight. Like in the last four weeks don't they put on .5lbs per week? So if he were full term he'd be a 9-10 pounder?!! Ahhh!

:hides:

ladystrawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2014, 09:17 PM   #6
MusicTeacher

Member #: 14277
Don't worry about the clothes. Csection babies tend to lose more weight after birth because of fluid loss. Lyla lost a little too much weight after birth but she was in newborn stuff for a good 4-6 weeks.

MusicTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2014, 10:40 PM   #7
NavyWife

Member #: 18190
My twins were preemie 3.15 and 4.11. My second was measured to be around 6-6.5 lbs. every dr said you are tiny the baby will be about that. Well he was 8.10 at 39 weeks so you can never really go by that stuff.

NavyWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2014, 07:06 AM   #8
tellybeans

Member #: 18002
I had a 7lb-er at 40 weeks. My sis, who is built teeny like me (and avg size at birth like me) creates tank-sized superbabies 9-10lb at term or before. Every person and every baby is different. Try not to worry-- the docs are only guessing and could be way off.

tellybeans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
birth?, it's, long, time....how