Welcome to TMP's trying to conceive, pregnancy & parenting forums!
TTC & Pregnancy Tools: Ovulation Calculator | hCG Calculator | Due Date Calculator
The TMP Store

Preconception, Pregnancy, Parenting & You

Go Back   The Mommy Playbook > The Chatty Shack! > The Cafe > TMP Polls

Would you serve chicken that fell on the floor? - TMP Polls

View Poll Results: Would you serve chicken that fell on the floor in front of your garbage can?
Ew, no. I'd make something else or order take out. 8 30.77%
Why not? Just rinse it off. No one will no the difference. 9 34.62%
Only if it was raw. Then I'd rinse it and cook it. Germs will cook off. 9 34.62%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 29th, 2014, 05:33 PM   #1
kappers

Member #: 15875
Would you serve chicken that fell on the floor?

Okay, I keep a clean kitchen but there is a line I don't cross when it comes to the food I serve. My DH, our friend and his girlfriend think I am weird and to be honest, it grosses me out that all three of them would do the same thing. Thought I'd put a poll up in a place other than Facebook so as not to potentially embarrass DH.

If chicken would fall on your floor in front of your garbage can, would you still eat it or would you toss it and make something else for dinner/order in?

(Sorry for the typo in the one answer. Haha. Kno auto-corrected to "no". )

Last edited by kappers; September 29th, 2014 at 05:41 PM..
kappers is offline   Reply With Quote
Please register or login to remove these ads.

Old September 29th, 2014, 06:05 PM   #2
gouldie

Member #: 5706
Absolutely not. Gross.

gouldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2014, 06:06 PM   #3
Amndpu

Member #: 24477
I think I would give it a good scrub and cook if it was my whole dinner. Chicken is expensive and I would hate to waste it when I know that all bacteria will be cooked off anyways. That wouldn't happen though since my trash can isnt near where I prepare my food. Also , it's never happened before so this is just what I THINK I would do. Also, I would like to add that I would NOT serve it to other people if I had guests coming over. It'd only be okay for my family and my floors are kept very clean in the kitchen/kitchen area.

Last edited by Amndpu; September 29th, 2014 at 06:09 PM..
Amndpu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2014, 06:58 PM   #4
emme
Lead Guide

Member #: 17184
Ick. No. I'm really anal about things I eat and what I eat off of being clean. I know, I'm strange ! Haha.

emme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2014, 07:03 PM   #5
gouldie

Member #: 5706
Quote:
Originally Posted by emme View Post
Ick. No. I'm really anal about things I eat and what I eat off of being clean. I know, I'm strange ! Haha.
I don't think that's strange at all. I wouldn't eat anything that drops ... Nothing at all.

Sent from my iPhone using TMP Forums

gouldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2014, 07:38 PM   #6
28_mommy
D&D playing, tattooed mom

Member #: 25655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amndpu View Post
I think I would give it a good scrub and cook if it was my whole dinner. Chicken is expensive and I would hate to waste it when I know that all bacteria will be cooked off anyways. That wouldn't happen though since my trash can isnt near where I prepare my food. Also , it's never happened before so this is just what I THINK I would do. Also, I would like to add that I would NOT serve it to other people if I had guests coming over. It'd only be okay for my family and my floors are kept very clean in the kitchen/kitchen area.
This.

28_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2014, 09:01 PM   #7
Munko

Member #: 14753
Well...depends. Haha. If it's raw, I'd rinse it and cook it. I like to believe my kitchen is atleast clean enough that cooking would destroy anything left behind. If it's already cooked and it dropped, I'd chuck it and eat something else.

Munko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2014, 09:41 PM   #8
kappers

Member #: 15875
Okay. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who'd chuck it! Ever since my culinary arts class and learning about how germs don't all "cook off" I could never bring myself to use any porous type food that's fallen on the floor. My exception would be at home if I had garlic or onions that still had the outer layer on and it fell on a clean floor. Then I'd rewash it and peel it. (Same for anything else with a thick peel or skin I guess too and only at home.)

Ever since working in a regulated kitchen, I really abide by the rules. In my mind, food safety regulations for commercial kitchens are in place for a reason, so I stick to them in my home kitchen too. Most people don't really know all about the rules that go into it so most food poisoning cases actually stem from home prepared food that was mishandled or unsafely prepared, cooled down or reheated, even though people like to blame it on restaurants. And I'm one of those people that knows it "won't kill me", but I'd rather not get sick or put my husband at risk for missing work or my kid at risk for getting sick and needing a trip to the doctor. I'm a little obsessive about my kitchen and food safety though, so DH teases me a lot. But I'm glad I'm not the only one!

kappers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cook, fell, floor?, food