Welcome to TMP's trying to conceive, pregnancy & parenting forums!
TTC & Pregnancy Tools: Ovulation Calculator | hCG Calculator | Due Date Calculator
The TMP Store

Preconception, Pregnancy, Parenting & You

Go Back   The Mommy Playbook > The Chatty Shack! > The Cafe > TMP Polls

To circumcise or not? - TMP Polls

View Poll Results: Would you circumcise?
Have previously and would / will do it again 22 26.51%
Have previously and won't do it again 8 9.64%
Haven't previously but will / would 13 15.66%
Haven't previously and won't / wouldn't 35 42.17%
Undecided 5 6.02%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 24th, 2013, 02:59 PM   #17
Altrix
aka 55555

Member #: 17653
Wow. I have to say that someone else pressuring anybody into a life-changing alteration like that disgusts me. I know everyone wants "what's best" for their grandchild, and I feel like this is going to bite me in the butt if my daughter decides to circumcise her boys one day and I'm all up in it trying to convince her...but there's saying something clearly once and getting your opinion/wishes out there, and then there's just plain being rude and disrespectful.

Everyone in my family asked if Baby was a boy would we circumcise, and I told them they'd find out if they were one of the few family members who are lucky enough to change his diaper one day. I mean, seriously, it's none of your business. Why do people need to know

Altrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Please register or login to remove these ads.

Old April 24th, 2013, 03:00 PM   #18
September
Mama 2 Five

Member #: 6131
Daddy is not circumcised but I wanted to do what I felt was best for our son regardless, so I researched and read and researched and read. In the end I decided not circumcising was in his best interest. Both of our sons are intact and the more I learn the happier I am about that.

Start with the WHOLEnetwork. Here is there "Research Cicumcision" page
http://www.thewholenetwork.org/resea...cumcision.html

September is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2013, 03:01 PM   #19
sarahbearah

Member #: 17166
We circumcised our son. I left it in DH's hands. I personally felt like he would be the more realistic between the two of us to make the decision. (not saying that women arent able to choose that, it was just how I felt about it). So ds got circumcised like his dh.

If we have another boy, we would do it again.

However, I won't lie and say that I was overly fond of it.

sarahbearah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2013, 03:08 PM   #20
Munko

Member #: 14753
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55555 View Post
Wow. I have to say that someone else pressuring anybody into a life-changing alteration like that disgusts me. I know everyone wants "what's best" for their grandchild, and I feel like this is going to bite me in the butt if my daughter decides to circumcise her boys one day and I'm all up in it trying to convince her...but there's saying something clearly once and getting your opinion/wishes out there, and then there's just plain being rude and disrespectful.

Everyone in my family asked if Baby was a boy would we circumcise, and I told them they'd find out if they were one of the few family members who are lucky enough to change his diaper one day. I mean, seriously, it's none of your business. Why do people need to know
ITA! It's no ones business what someone else's penis looks like. My sister has a friend who circumcised her twins, and my nephew is intact. Every single time she sees this "friend" which is less and less, the woman brings up my nephews penis and how he should be circumcised. She says ridiculous things like "he wouldn't dribble pee if he were circumcised (I beg to differ!)" or "his penis only looks that big because he has foreskin" (why she's even looking I don't know?) my nephew is almost 4 and she can't let it go. I just don't even see where it's any of her business at all! For some reason it's another one of those hot button topics that some people feel the need to pressure people into one way or the other. My sons privates will be just that, private!

I forgot to say that for us, too, it's almost impossible to find a dr willing to do it here where we live. The rate of circumcision is under 9% here so it's the "norm" to not circumcise. So that plays a part in our decision too. I didn't want to have to hunt down a random dr I know nothing about to have it done!

Munko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2013, 03:09 PM   #21
Laura32

Member #: 16633
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahbearah View Post
We circumcised our son. I left it in DH's hands. I personally felt like he would be the more realistic between the two of us to make the decision. (not saying that women arent able to choose that, it was just how I felt about it). So ds got circumcised like his dh.

If we have another boy, we would do it again.

However, I won't lie and say that I was overly fond of it.
I hear you on thinking that of the two DH would be the more realistic to make the decision. After all, he has one, I don't. I didn't argue with DH about it, but expressed that I was surprised and thought we would for hygiene and left it at that. Ended up finally doing the research today.

Thanks for your honesty!

Laura32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2013, 03:19 PM   #22
sbmartino
We are complete :)

Member #: 12870
Laura, you will be surprised how many people have an opinion on this topic that is VERY personal. DS is not circ'd, nor is DH. I think the fact that insurance now considers it cosmetic is very telling. For me, the choice was easy, everything I read said there's no medical reason (normally) to do it. DH has gone 31 years and had no hygiene issues. The key is to teach your son how to clean it properly! My mom is a nurse, and was very adamant that I circ him, but when I presented her with current research, she understood and agreed with our decision! Just be prepared for people to fight your decision, I never understood why others gave a crap about MY son's penis! Lol!

sbmartino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2013, 03:27 PM   #23
rachel02
It's a GIRL!

Member #: 17646
We circumcised ds and dh is also circumcised and we will circumcise Duke also. To be honest, I have never heard of any not circumcising their sons until I joined this forum. It's extremely common in the area I live in. We decided to circumcise based on religion and the fact that dh is circumcised and is very glad that he is. I think everyone should make the decision for themselves, after all it is your baby!

rachel02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2013, 03:31 PM   #24
Laura32

Member #: 16633
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel02 View Post
We circumcised ds and dh is also circumcised and we will circumcise Duke also. To be honest, I have never heard of any not circumcising their sons until I joined this forum. It's extremely common in the area I live in. We decided to circumcise based on religion and the fact that dh is circumcised and is very glad that he is. I think everyone should make the decision for themselves, after all it is your baby!
Where I grew up, everyone was circumcised too. I've never even seen one in person that wasn't.

Laura32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
circumcise, not?