Welcome to TMP's trying to conceive, pregnancy & parenting forums!
TTC & Pregnancy Tools: Ovulation Calculator | hCG Calculator | Due Date Calculator
The TMP Store

Preconception, Pregnancy, Parenting & You

Go Back   The Mommy Playbook > The Chatty Shack! > The Cafe > TMP Polls

To circumcise or not? - TMP Polls

View Poll Results: Would you circumcise?
Have previously and would / will do it again 22 26.51%
Have previously and won't do it again 8 9.64%
Haven't previously but will / would 13 15.66%
Haven't previously and won't / wouldn't 35 42.17%
Undecided 5 6.02%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 24th, 2013, 02:42 PM   #9
Sindorella

Member #: 16096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyris View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindorella View Post
Quote:
We circumcised two of our sons, the other two are left intact. I would HIGHLY recommend not circumcising. My short, sweet answer.
I am totally curious what made you change your mind when it came to circumcision. You don't have to answer, I am just being nosy.

Our eldest son's circumcision was botched. I was pressured into having it done by my mother (I was a teen mom when he was born). I thought I had made the right choice because I felt like my own mother wouldn't steer me wrong - but in my heart I felt like it wasn't the right choice (for me). After all that it made me not want it for son two. But my in-laws pushed my husband on having it done anyways. It caused a huge strain between us and he later admitted it was a poor choice based on all of our research and our past experiences with DS1 and he just did it because of the pressure from his parents (which was not cool and I'm still a tad hurt and angry about).

When DS3 and 4 came along we were both finally able to come to the agreement that we wouldn't let anyone pressure us into doing it again because we knew already what the right choice for us was. We made that choice based on personal experience, research and a few recommendations by pediatricians who told us it really wasn't necessary unless there was a true medical need (such as deformity at birth and that type of thing).

Then after our third son's birth we learned that our insurance wouldn't even cover it because it was a cosmetic procedure. Lucky for us, we didn't care anymore.
Oh man, going through that must have been terrible. Good for you for standing your ground later though! I have a feeling my husbands dad will give us a hard time about it, for some reason he cares , and I worry that my husband will cave if his dad confronts him. I will tell him what's what though.

Sindorella is offline   Reply With Quote
Please register or login to remove these ads.

Old April 24th, 2013, 02:48 PM   #10
Laura32

Member #: 16633
Wow. What an experience! So sorry you had to go through that.

I gotta say... leaning more towards not doing it. I was when I posted the question, but yeah...

I do worry that MIL might say something about it... and DH doesn't really let her know when it's time for her to butt-out about something. She's not my mom and she's so nice I just can't. I'm not worried about my parents... even if they ask me, the answer will be "Does it matter?" which is Laura speak for "Not up for discussion". And they are well versed in Laura speak.

Laura32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2013, 02:48 PM   #11
Xyris
Illuminated with Love

Member #: 1456
Be prepared. For some reason my in-laws felt it was their business. They even took the time to print out propaganda (booklets, pictures, research and studies on you SHOULD circumcise) and present it to my husband with a letter. They did this when they found out we had chosen not to. Our preemie was still in NICU and they presented us with this. So my husband had a lot on him and I'm not surprised he caved in the circumstances.

The best advice I can give you all is to just not tell anyone..... if they bring it up try to just say "we've made our choice based on research and recommendation" which makes it sound more official rather than saying "well we don't really want to". Even though that's all that should matter in this situation.

When they see baby's penis it'll be a surprise!

Last edited by Xyris; April 24th, 2013 at 02:50 PM..
Xyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2013, 02:51 PM   #12
Laura32

Whoa. The nerve of some people... no offense.

I don't think she'd go that far. She knows DH are pretty stubborn once we make up our minds about something.

Old April 24th, 2013, 02:52 PM   #13
Laura32

Quote:
When they see baby's penis it'll be a surprise!
I like that idea! LOL!

Old April 24th, 2013, 02:53 PM   #14
TheRefereeOfTheHouse

Member #: 22593
Our first son was not circumcised our last two are. And we will continue to do that.

The reason being: Our first son had a UTI every single month from the day he was born until he turned 1... and every UTI meant a stay int he PICU it was horrible. They almost did a late circumcision because he had to be on such a strong dose of Antibiotics, finally he out grew at one. We were so scared it would happen to our other two but thankfully no infections whatsoever. Just a personal choice we have made.

Last edited by TheRefereeOfTheHouse; April 24th, 2013 at 02:56 PM..
TheRefereeOfTheHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2013, 02:54 PM   #15
Laura32

I see that a couple of people have answered that they would do it again or will do it. Please feel free to answer on why you would. I like to hear all sides of the topic.

And this is not a debate thread and I certainly don't want it to be, so I'm hoping everyone will play nice if they disagree about something.

Thank you!

Old April 24th, 2013, 02:55 PM   #16
Laura32

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRefereeOfTheHouse View Post
Our first son was not circumcised our last two are. And we will continue to do that.

The reason being: Our first son had a UTI every single month from the day he was born until he turned 1... and every UTI meant a stay int he PICU it was horrible. They almost did a late circumcision because he had to be on such a strong dose of Antibiotics, finally he out grew at one. We were so scared it would happen to our other two but thankfully no infections whatsoever. Just a personal choice we have made.
Thank you for sharing, Brittany! Under those circumstances I can see why you did. I'm so sorry your DS had a rough first year.

Tags
circumcise, not?