Welcome to TMP's trying to conceive, pregnancy & parenting forums!
TTC & Pregnancy Tools: Ovulation Calculator | hCG Calculator | Due Date Calculator
The TMP Store

Preconception, Pregnancy, Parenting & You

Go Back   The Mommy Playbook > Due Date Clubs > Aug - Dec. 2015 Due Date Club

I feel like a chicken - Aug - Dec. 2015 Due Date Club

Old May 28th, 2015, 10:54 AM   #1
invisible_ink
Serial Gum Chewer

Member #: 6395
I feel like a chicken

Not just A chicken, but that one chicken from the kids book that's all, "Anyone want to help me make bread?" And all the dogs and cats and mice and whatnot are like, "Nah, I'm good." And so I make the bread and everyone just swoops in and eats it without helping at all.

I am living in one giant house with my parents, my brother, and then of course DH and our kids. Does anyone else do dishes? No. They don't even rinse and stack them. They just throw them in the sink, and if I'm lucky I can catch it and rinse it before it gets crusty. Does anyone else sweep? Or mop? Or dust? Or clean bathrooms? No. They just come home from work, all of them, throw their crap wherever, eat whatever they want, and leave the mess for the tired pregnant lady to clean up.

Granted, my mom is usually really helpful, but she's been working overtime lately, so it's down to just me. And lately she's been adding to the mess instead of pitching in to help. I think she's just tired.

WELL I'M TIRED TOO.

DH usually helps on his day off, but this morning he woke me up like, "Hey I'm really tired can you get up with the kids?" This, after telling me last night to stay up late with him because he was going to let me sleep in. I didn't say a word. I get it. He works long hours (LIKE I DON'T??) so I got up and made the kids oatmeal and got them dressed.

Then he rushed downstairs as I was writing in my journal and getting ready to clean up after breakfast, and he was all, "I have to go run an errand. You good?" I was literally on my hands and knees cleaning up a milk spill at this point, and he just walked right past me without even offering to help.

DUDE is it okay if I SHOWER before you leave maybe? Can I get dressed and take one freaking minute for myself. He got all annoyed at me for taking 20 minutes to get my crap together. Honestly.

And THEN just now he called and said, "Oh Dad just called and said that they are bringing a new dishwasher over. I'm really sorry. I know I said I would unload the dishwasher for you, but can you do it?"

FOR REAL people. I'm getting so dang tired of doing everything around here. Everyone here is and adult. My brother, who doesn't even pay rent, has to be forced to do anything helpful. He just eats food we all buy but never ever ever in the history of ever has he bought his own groceries, let alone, God forbid, something to share.

Huff. I'm just feeling petulant today. And tired. And I can't wait until we have our own house in July. I'm really really really thankful my parents had this big house they could let us stay in while we've been here, but its just too much trying to divvy up the workload and not get angry at people.

And I don't want to be angry. I'm usually overflowing with gratitude but sometimes...sometimes y'all I just want to kick things.

invisible_ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Please register or login to remove these ads.

Old May 28th, 2015, 11:30 AM   #2
jayjay

Member #: 26054
go on strike. just stop doing stuff (besides stuff for your kids) for like two days straight.

jayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2015, 12:20 PM   #3
rideswithchrist
beyond blessed

Member #: 8881
That is a hard situation! I am glad it is only temporary for you because it is stressful to also be bearing the burden of other people outside of your hubby and kids.
I was glad we only stayed with my in-laws for 4 months when our duplex caught fire, ya just need your own space!

rideswithchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2015, 12:23 PM   #4
Benjamin'sMommy

Member #: 14367
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
go on strike. just stop doing stuff (besides stuff for your kids) for like two days straight.
I agree with this.

Benjamin'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2015, 12:26 PM   #5
rideswithchrist
beyond blessed

Member #: 8881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin'sMommy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
I agree with this.
And really- that may just help, just focus on you and your kiddos and leave the rest to everyone else.

rideswithchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2015, 01:53 PM   #6
calucy

Member #: 21939
I would definitely not clean up after your brother. Ever!!! Your parents are letting you live there so ok it's nice to pitch in and help out a bit but you shouldn't be in charge if everything.

Maybe you guys need a chore wheel or something. When I lived with a large group of people we always need to assign duties. Otherwise everyone just expects things to magically get done.

calucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2015, 03:22 PM   #7
invisible_ink
Serial Gum Chewer

Member #: 6395
Thanks girls! I'm so glad you get me I can't go on strike because then that starts fights with hubby. He's VERY anal about making sure we keep my parents house in really clean condition. Even though we pay rent, it really is the courteous thing to do. I think sometimes people get busy and I accidentally end up taking on a bit more of the workload, and that just makes me frustrated.

I kinda like the chore wheel idea, but since we're leaving in July I figure I might as well just stick it out. Needing our own space--yes!!

Also I made my brother unload the dishes before he left for work. Usually I just have to ask him. He's a pretty tidy person but he's totally oblivious. And cheap. He's this hilarious young guy who pinches pennies and refuses to "waste" his money on food when there's a fully stocked kitchen on hand.

NOT that he stocks the kitchen Anyway, thanks for letting me vent. I feel better.

invisible_ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2015, 03:29 PM   #8
nimrastar
is TTC #2!

Member #: 19751
I was going to grin and giggle and say get your midwife on board. Have her order a week of bed rest, netflix, and good books, and just watch the rest of them appreciate you as they struggle to keep up with the place.

I'm such an evil person sometimes. Do't get mad- get even.

~Nim

nimrastar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicken, feel