Welcome to TMP's trying to conceive, pregnancy & parenting forums!
TTC & Pregnancy Tools: Ovulation Calculator | hCG Calculator | Due Date Calculator
The TMP Store

Preconception, Pregnancy, Parenting & You

Go Back   The Mommy Playbook > Due Date Clubs > Aug - Dec. 2015 Due Date Club

OT - update on my DH - Aug - Dec. 2015 Due Date Club

Old May 21st, 2015, 05:16 PM   #1
jayjay

Member #: 26054
OT - update on my DH

since you ladies were all so supportive and understanding when i initially vented about al's physical situation, i thought i'd give an update.

he saw his second opinion doctor, and his opinion about surgical options was the same as the first doctor - there's nothing surgically that can be done for him as his spine is just too far gone at this point for anything to be effective. however, this doctor did go on to explain to him exactly what all of the issues are with his back, with one of the major ones being that where his spine meets his sacrum, there is no cushioning and is just bone-on-bone, which is where the majority of his pain is coming from. the rest of it is all of his herniated and bulging discs.

the doctor put him on a 6-day steroids regimen (which has had zero effect), started him on a physical therapy schedule (i don't know WHY these doctors keep thinking physical therapy will do him any good), and will also be giving him a series of cortisone injections in the next week or two. i'm hoping at least the cortisone will provide him with some relief, even if it's only temporary. doc feels confident that the cortisone will at least bring him back to where he was before he aggravated everything.

the doctor said he WILL prescribe him painkillers, but only after he's completed with the cortisone injections. he didn't want any narcotics to interfere with the effects of the treatments he's giving him right now, which i suppose makes sense when he puts it like that, but it's still heartbreaking watching my husband have to sit there in pain all the time.

his employers are continuing to be patient and keeping his job for him while he goes through all of this, which is awesome, but also sucks at the same time because he isn't bringing in a paycheck. the HR department said they're perfectly fine with him working from home, but it's up to his supervisor to actually provide him with the work, which his supervisor has not done, and no reason as to why. it's great they're not terminating him (most companies probably would have by now), but our savings is being quickly depleted, and soon we may have to start turning to drastic measures. if he doesn't start getting some work soon, we'll have to give up his apartment and he'd essentially be forced to quit his job, since i can't afford both places on my own.

so, still taking it all day by day, and at least this new doctor is trying a few things out and not just pushing him aside as a lost cause.

jayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Please register or login to remove these ads.

Old May 21st, 2015, 08:13 PM   #2
MuppetWrangler
Mrs Wrangler

Member #: 14203
Wow poor guy, I'm so sorry. My uncle had back issues his whole life, it's pretty frustrating.

I've had cortisone shots right into my tailbone and I will say they helped tremendously, I hope it eases some of his pain.

MuppetWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2015, 08:30 PM   #3
invisible_ink
Serial Gum Chewer

Member #: 6395
Ugh, I'm so sorry Jaclyn. The fact that his...is that the L6 that's completely gone?...discs are that far deteriorated is just awful. Mine aren't nearly that bad (although eventually they will be. It's all a matter of time.) I hope the treatments help a bit, although tell him to be careful with the PT and if after two weeks it still hurts worse then not to keep going. I swear I just don't trust physical therapists with DDD...

Anyway, such a stressful situation for you both. Did the doctor say anything about fusing and his opinion on it? His bones can't rub together like that forever.

invisible_ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2015, 10:03 PM   #4
nimrastar
is TTC #2!

Member #: 19751
I agree with fusing his discs. There has got to be something permanent that can be tried, even if its at the expense of some mobility. Poor thing...

~Nim

nimrastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2015, 09:37 AM   #5
jayjay

they talked about that, and the doctor basically doesn't want to do any fusions at all. he doesn't feel that he could just do one because it would offer him zero relief, and the amount of discs he would have to do would just be too many.

as far as the physical therapy goes, the doctor only scheduled him for about two weeks worth as it is, and said they'll evaluate how it's going after that time and see if it's doing any good at all. al's just going along with it to appease him, but we all know it won't help. now, i think if they were to try PT after he's gotten some pain relief from the cortisone, that might be a different story. the doctor thinks that if he were to build up some muscle in his lower back that would provide some cushioning for his discs and relieve some of the pressure and pain.

Old May 22nd, 2015, 10:27 AM   #6
invisible_ink
Serial Gum Chewer

Member #: 6395
How many discs are affected again? He might be a candidate for disc replacement. Did they mention that? You should do some research and find some ongoing studies. I looked into it myself, but I'm not a candidate for several reasons, including that I'm not far gone enough. Al might be a good candidate for some of the research they are doing.

invisible_ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2015, 10:47 AM   #7
jayjay

i didn't even know that was a thing! i'll have to do some looking into that! i think he has 5 or 6 discs altogether that are affected - it could be 7 at the most.

Old May 22nd, 2015, 06:10 PM   #8
calucy

Member #: 21939
I'm glad they are at least offering him some help even if it's not surgical. This doctor sounds much better. Sorry he has to go through this.

calucy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
update