Welcome to TMP's trying to conceive, pregnancy & parenting forums!
TTC & Pregnancy Tools: Ovulation Calculator | hCG Calculator | Due Date Calculator
The TMP Store

Preconception, Pregnancy, Parenting & You

Go Back   The Mommy Playbook > 2008 - 2012 Playgroups > 2009 Playgroup

Reflux baby moms *cross posted* - 2009 Playgroup

Old October 8th, 2009, 09:26 AM   #1
Casey

Member #: 6646
Reflux baby moms *cross posted*

So Lincoln is on 2 ml of Zantac twice a day and is not spitting up nearly as much now. However, he still CANNOT sleep flat on his back. He literally either wakes up immediately or w/in 5 minutes. I have tried the wedge and elevating his mattress, neither makes any difference. I have let him nap a few times on his belly and he does well with that but my pediatrician said DO NOT let him sleep on his belly at night b/c of SIDS. He's hardcore about it and I'm a first time mommy so I'm just too nervous about it. So Lincoln either sleeps in his carseat or swing. He has been sleeping 5-7 hours a night lately but I want him to be able to sleep in his bed! Oh yeah, and I'm mixing a tsp. of rice cereal in a breastmilk bottle before bed per the peds advice.

Here's the main part of my question: my pediatrician doesn't want to do anything else (more medication, different medication, etc.) b/c he's gaining well and thriving. But he still gets uncomfortable after feedings quite often and he can't sleep in his bed, would you see another ped or just wait for him to grow out of it? (Did I mention how frustrating it is to have to maneuver a sleeping baby into some sort of buckles EVERY TIME you put him down. ) Would love some opinions, thanks!

Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Please register or login to remove these ads.

Old October 8th, 2009, 11:38 AM   #2
MOMMYTO3BOYS
Loving that fluffy butt!

Member #: 4146
I know that they tell you not to let your baby sleep on his belly. That being said but of my first 2 were NICU babies and and they taught them to sleep on there belly and that is the only way they would sleep. With Abram I make sure he is elevated and on his side, he perfers facing his left. If I lay him on his back his is awake and screaming instantly!

MOMMYTO3BOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2009, 12:10 PM   #3
Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOMMYTO3BOYS View Post
I know that they tell you not to let your baby sleep on his belly. That being said but of my first 2 were NICU babies and and they taught them to sleep on there belly and that is the only way they would sleep. With Abram I make sure he is elevated and on his side, he perfers facing his left. If I lay him on his back his is awake and screaming instantly!
Can you tell me specifically exactly how you elevate him? What do you use, etc.?

Old October 8th, 2009, 10:08 PM   #4
MLB

Member #: 8835
Have you every heard of the Nap Nanny? http://www.napnanny.com/

I think we're going to be getting one soon.

This is my third baby with severe reflux and I'll say this much... When you have a doctor who won't address the fact that the baby is in PAIN, you need to switch. We had a doctor who just wanted to let my oldest grow out of it but she was in obvious pain and that bothered me. We finally had a choking incident that landed her in the ER and the doctor there was outraged that she wasn't on medicine yet. She had pretty significant damage to her esophagus and she didn't outgrow her reflux until she was well over a year old. If we hadn't had the meds, what a miserable first year of life she would have had. If your instincts are telling you he needs more, then definitely get a doctor who will do more. Harrison is on 2ml of Axid twice a day and it's helped so stinking much, I can't even believe it. The Axid is for the erosion of the esophagus, too so it definitely helps.

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents. He also sleeps on his tummy during naps. There's sort of an unspoken rule when it comes to reflux babies about that. My doctor is all for it because she had refluxy babies of her own.

MLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2009, 08:28 AM   #5
andrewswife
My baby is running!!

Member #: 4108
Our Gastro Pedi said almost all babies have some degree of reflux and they wont even give Meds to them unless they are not gaining weight or refusing feeds .. So at least your lucky you have meds Alexa cant have anything

Anyways..

I seen this on my local Craigslist and it looked very interesting after googling it, It appears to be covered by insurance.

http://www.resqwedge.com/RES-Q_Infan...ents_Page.html --

andrewswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2009, 08:55 AM   #6
MOMMYTO3BOYS
Loving that fluffy butt!

Member #: 4146
I have a wedge with blankets under it and then the dr told me to put phone books under the legs to raise the bed even more then I roll a blanket and put it at the bottom of the wedge so he can't get down to far. Hope that helps!

MOMMYTO3BOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2009, 09:08 AM   #7
Casey

Thanks ladies! I'm seeing a new ped this afternoon and I'm going to take the info on this Res-Q wedge thing and see if I can get her to prescribe it. Thank you!

Tags
*cross, baby, moms, posted*, reflux