Welcome to TMP's trying to conceive, pregnancy & parenting forums!
TTC & Pregnancy Tools: Ovulation Calculator | hCG Calculator | Due Date Calculator
The TMP Store

Preconception, Pregnancy, Parenting & You

Go Back   The Mommy Playbook > Parenting & Family Forums > The Toddler Years

LeapFrog LeapReader Junior? - The Toddler Years

Old April 7th, 2015, 01:41 PM   #1
AmeliaPond

Member #: 13744
LeapFrog LeapReader Junior?

We will be going on a long (for us) car ride next month. I am trying to think of things Henry can do in the car (in his rear facing seat.) I came across this a while back....

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005ZCY36K/...7YSMV8NO&psc=1

Anyone used one before? I am trying to decide if it would be easy for him to use on his lap while we're driving.

Any thoughts on it?

AmeliaPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Please register or login to remove these ads.

Old April 7th, 2015, 01:53 PM   #2
AmeliaPond

Also, in general, I am just trying to figure out if Henry could benefit from this toy. He LOVES books. I read to him a lot. And he looks at them by himself too. He is delayed with speech and communication. The EI people said that we should work on getting him to point at things. So we've been trying to do that but he hasn't made any improvements yet. I am trying to decide if this product will encourage that or not.

Old April 7th, 2015, 05:23 PM   #3
Mindik

Member #: 14745
Laney has this and LOVES it. Once they get it figured out it's pretty neat. Anything they touch with Scout on the book page does something – tells part of the story, teaches a lesson (counting, colors, animal sounds) or plays a song. The only downfall is that you can only store two or three books at a time on there because the storage space is so, so small.

I think this would encourage him to point at things since he will have to put Scout ON something to make it make a sound. And if he finds a sound or song he LIKES he'll have to do it again and again.

The only downfall for Laney is that the books focus on basic skills - color and shape identification, animal IDs and sounds, etc. - and she's got those down really well already. But she still enjoys the books simply for the music and novelty of doing it herself.

Mindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2015, 12:58 AM   #4
AmeliaPond

Awesome. Henry does NOT know any of those things yet...no matter how much I try to teach him. So maybe this will help rather than always hearing my voice.

Old April 8th, 2015, 03:43 PM   #5
Mindik

That might actually help. I know Laney responds well to that type of thing, so I hope maybe your little guy will too!

Old April 8th, 2015, 04:00 PM   #6
AmeliaPond

Me too! I'm willing to try anything. I ordered it last night along with a few books. It should be here Friday. Even if he doesn't "get" it quite yet...maybe he will eventually.

Old April 8th, 2015, 05:03 PM   #7
Mindik

He will get it. It took Laney Lou a little bit to figure out. Now she's got 4 books and knows JUST the right places to put Scout to play the songs that annoy us the most lol. But it's an EXCELLENT toy for riding in the car because it's easy for her to hold onto and keeps her really occupied.

Old April 11th, 2015, 03:17 PM   #8
AmeliaPond

So far...it's kind of a bust...haha! He has no desire to play with it. He doesn't even want to look at the books on their own, which is so odd since he LOVES books. Oh well. Hopefully he'll show some interest in it at some point. I'll just keep showing it to him and take it from there.

Tags
junior?, leapfrog, leapreader