Welcome to TMP's trying to conceive, pregnancy & parenting forums!
TTC & Pregnancy Tools: Ovulation Calculator | hCG Calculator | Due Date Calculator
The TMP Store

Preconception, Pregnancy, Parenting & You

Go Back   The Mommy Playbook > Parenting & Family Forums > The Toddler Years

Struggling - The Toddler Years

Old March 20th, 2015, 03:23 AM   #17
gouldie

Member #: 5706
My babies didn't walk until later, all three. My middle was 16 months. I remember feeling like she was really behind also and brought it up to the pedi who said very similar things to what you were told. And I agree that social media has allowed for parents to brag making parents question the abilities of their children.

It sounds like the abilities are there he just needs some more time and he'll get there.

I think involving him in a music class will help. F takes music and I've seen her really progress since starting.

Sent from my iPhone using TMP Forums

gouldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Please register or login to remove these ads.

Old April 1st, 2015, 04:41 AM   #18
roziecakes
Maisie & Lyric's Mommy ♥

Member #: 16954
I would probably be the same way if it were me. I am a big worrier. I do know too though, that you are right. There is a huge range of what normal is, and people seem to forget that. My doctor says that as long as the kid is trying communicate in some way that you really shouldn't worry too much. I use my nephew as an example often - but he didn't walk until 19 months, and didn't talk more than a few words until he was well older than 3. He is now 4 and he can write and read some and count by 2s, 5s, 10s and talks up a storm.

I wish though that someone could give you some sort of evaluation so you can get the answers you need to help put your mind at ease.

roziecakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2015, 01:53 AM   #19
AmeliaPond

Member #: 13744
Henry is creeping up on 19 months now. Still no real progress. On occasion, we can get him to point to his nose or belly button. But with most things, it's hit or miss. I think he knows what they are...but sometimes he just doesn't want to 'answer' us.

A few weeks ago, he started saying "mup" when he wanted to be picked up. But now he just kind of whines "mamama" when he wants to be picked up. He does it to my husband and mom too though so he doesn't think he's saying "mama" or anything. I think "mup" just turned into "mama" for him or something. But he says it in a different voice then his regular babbling.

Early Intervention said we should work on getting him to point at things in books so I've been working on that to no avail so far. And we're trying even harder to get him to mimic us clapping and waving. Again, not much luck so far.

In two months, EI is going to call to check on us. If Henry hasn't improved by then, I may see about them coming out to do a full evaluation. And if he doesn't qualify, I'll see if they recommend us getting outside help until he turns 2 or whatever.

AmeliaPond is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
struggling