Welcome to TMP's trying to conceive, pregnancy & parenting forums!
TTC & Pregnancy Tools: Ovulation Calculator | hCG Calculator | Due Date Calculator
The TMP Store

Preconception, Pregnancy, Parenting & You

Go Back   The Mommy Playbook > Parenting & Family Forums > The Toddler Years

Struggling - The Toddler Years

Old March 19th, 2015, 10:43 PM   #9
AmeliaPond

Member #: 13744
I honestly don't know what a therapist could even do with him at this point. I mean, doesn't a lot of speech therapy involved repeating and trying to get the child to mimic and whatnot??

AmeliaPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Please register or login to remove these ads.

Old March 19th, 2015, 10:48 PM   #10
Munko

Member #: 14753
I wouldn't worry, when I assessed for EI I looked for 0-2 words at 18 months, so basically meaning if they had under 3 words they'd be flagged as someone to watch.

Obviously many kids are saying much more than 2 words at 18m, but the kids who aren't it often doesn't mean anything. Right now receptive language is way more important than expressive. If he understands you when you give one step directions, you know he's making sense of the words he's hearing.

Munko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2015, 10:50 PM   #11
Munko

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeliaPond View Post
I honestly don't know what a therapist could even do with him at this point. I mean, doesn't a lot of speech therapy involved repeating and trying to get the child to mimic and whatnot??
Not at early ages. It's mainly play, that encourages them to talk. Once they're older (early school age) then it focuses more on what they're saying. At the little ages they just want them communicating period and play games/do activities to encourage that, and that help them
Get a better picture of what's going on.

Old March 19th, 2015, 10:51 PM   #12
AmeliaPond

I have to say, I have good days and bad days. Yesterday when I wrote my post was one of the bad ones. Today has been good. Henry has been 'communicating' in his own ways today and actually wanted to interact with me more. So it was nice. Days like this, I don't mind that he's slightly behind because he's still doing a good job with a lot of things.

Old March 19th, 2015, 10:54 PM   #13
AmeliaPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munko View Post
I wouldn't worry, when I assessed for EI I looked for 0-2 words at 18 months, so basically meaning if they had under 3 words they'd be flagged as someone to watch.

Obviously many kids are saying much more than 2 words at 18m, but the kids who aren't it often doesn't mean anything. Right now receptive language is way more important than expressive. If he understands you when you give one step directions, you know he's making sense of the words he's hearing.
He CAN follow directions. But it's hit or miss. I definitely think there's a lot he understands. But I also think he ignores me a fair amount. I often wonder if he has just learned to tune me out since he listens to me all day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munko View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeliaPond View Post
Not at early ages. It's mainly play, that encourages them to talk. Once they're older (early school age) then it focuses more on what they're saying. At the little ages they just want them communicating period and play games/do activities to encourage that, and that help them
Get a better picture of what's going on.
I feel like my husband and I do a lot to encourage talking. I mean, I do think it's helpful to have an outside party because of the 'tuning out' thing above. It's nice when my mom is able to come over once a week because it's a new voice to listen to.

Old March 19th, 2015, 11:10 PM   #14
Dante

Member #: 7104
So, take a deep breath & continue the great things you are doing. In the next 6 months things could really start to click for him. If not, you can utilize the EI services at that point.

Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2015, 11:57 PM   #15
Munko

It's normal for them to "ignore" and it will only get worse but if he's shown you he can communicate his needs (pointing, taking you to something, bringing an empty cup to you, etc) and he does seem to understand a fair bit of what you're saying, he's likely fine and just needs some more time.

I find the best way to test if they understand is to make a game of it. Throw a few toys out behind him and ask him to bring you a specific one, then ask him to go get another, then ask him to get something further away, then ask him to find something random (can you go touch the couch?) etc.

Old March 20th, 2015, 12:03 AM   #16
AmeliaPond

I ask him for stuff a lot and sometimes he'll get it, sometimes not. One of the questions they asked was whether or not he'll look for something in the other room if we ask for it and he does do that a lot of time. Sometimes I really do think we have a very stubborn boy on our hands.

I'm not sure he'd understand what it means to go touch something random though. He understands "go get" or "where is."

Tags
struggling