Welcome to TMP's trying to conceive, pregnancy & parenting forums!
TTC & Pregnancy Tools: Ovulation Calculator | hCG Calculator | Due Date Calculator
The TMP Store

Preconception, Pregnancy, Parenting & You

Go Back   The Mommy Playbook > Parenting & Family Forums > The Toddler Years

Delayed Motor Skills - The Toddler Years

Old January 13th, 2015, 09:54 AM   #1
BrandyGibbons

Member #: 4113
Delayed Motor Skills

My daughter turned 1 on Jan 5th and still has not rollled over, crawled, puller herself up or started cruising. She has no problem standing on her legs but can"t get her to do anything. Anyone else ever experienced this? If so any advice?

Update: I am in Ontario I have not been to the doctor since she was 6mns old. I just figured she was lazy and would start doing things as she got older so never took her till her 12mns appointment.
We go to see the doctor next week. Kennedy has now started to move around on her bum. She is starting to take steps when holding on to the couch. When I sit beside her on the stairs she will grab my leg and pull herself up. She slowly is coming around. I think she will be one of those babies that never crawls. When I saw the family doctor last week she held her up and saw her moving her legs and says that she isn't concerned.

Last edited by BrandyGibbons; January 29th, 2015 at 04:56 PM.. Reason: Update
BrandyGibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Please register or login to remove these ads.

Old January 13th, 2015, 10:05 AM   #2
Munko

Member #: 14753
Have you seen the Dr and had her assessed? If not I'd go asap. How are her other skills? Does she clap? Point? Wave? Can she grab things or reach for things? Does she eat solid food yet?

Munko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2015, 11:24 PM   #3
RabbitMama85

Member #: 12297
I also agree that it's passed time for an eval. Some babies skip a step or two, but sometimes they really do need a little bit of help and then the other milestones all fall into place. If this hasn't been part of discussion with your pedi, I would seek a different one.

RabbitMama85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2015, 03:53 PM   #4
AmeliaPond

Member #: 13744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munko View Post
Have you seen the Dr and had her assessed? If not I'd go asap. How are her other skills? Does she clap? Point? Wave? Can she grab things or reach for things? Does she eat solid food yet?
I would also be curious to see the answers to these questions.

I agree with the others. It's honestly a bit shocking if your doctor hasn't had concerns and given you referrals to an OT or something of that nature already. What did he/she say at your 1 year appointment? What about at previous appointments??

Last edited by AmeliaPond; January 16th, 2015 at 03:57 PM..
AmeliaPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2015, 04:24 PM   #5
BrandyGibbons

Member #: 4113
Thanks lady I went to my family doctor and she has send a referral in for me to see a pediatrician. Kennedy does clap and has been since 9mns. She has just started feeding herself folids this week. She has never had a problem with eating solids. She says da da all the time and has started saying ya ya and na na. I have been playing on the floor with her a lot more, standing her at the couch and sitting a couple feet away so she has to work at getting to me. My baby sitter is making sure she does lots of tummy time that she hates. Going back to my family doctor next week for Kennedy's shots will find out what is going on with the pediatrician not calling yet.

BrandyGibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2015, 04:33 PM   #6
AmeliaPond

Member #: 13744
I've never heard of needing a referral to see a pediatrician.

If she doesn't roll or crawl...what exactly does she do all day?

Does she grab for toys?

Does she sit up on her own?

AmeliaPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2015, 05:02 PM   #7
Munko

Member #: 14753
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeliaPond View Post
I've never heard of needing a referral to see a pediatrician. If she doesn't roll or crawl...what exactly does she do all day? Does she grab for toys? Does she sit up on her own?
Pedi's are referral only here, and most drs other than GP/family drs. Not sure where OP's from but it's not unusual.

OP if you are in Canada, you have access to paediatric PT, which is where I would go, to have all her skills assessed and take that to the pedi once your referral goes through. The fact that she isn't mobile is definitely concerning, however the fact that she can bear weight on her legs is encouraging. Does she seem floppy or stiff anywhere in her body? Her arms/legs/back?

Munko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2015, 05:20 PM   #8
Lindsay

Member #: 9094
I am shocked that its taken this long for a GP to suggest a pediatrician. Clearly she needs specialized care that your doctor isn't giving her.

Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
delayed, motor, skills