Welcome to TMP's trying to conceive, pregnancy & parenting forums!
TTC & Pregnancy Tools: Ovulation Calculator | hCG Calculator | Due Date Calculator
The TMP Store

Preconception, Pregnancy, Parenting & You

Go Back   The Mommy Playbook > Parenting & Family Forums > Oh Baby! (birth to age one)

co sleeping - Oh Baby! (birth to age one)

Old January 16th, 2014, 12:36 AM   #9
RabbitMama85

Member #: 12297
Someone linked me to this, and I think it's an interesting read. Bottlefeeding is addressed in #7 and benefits of co sleeping other than just breastfeeding is in #3 http://cosleeping.nd.edu/frequently-asked-questions/#3

Last edited by RabbitMama85; January 16th, 2014 at 12:40 AM..
RabbitMama85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please register or login to remove these ads.

Old January 16th, 2014, 12:43 AM   #10
RabbitMama85

Also, bed sharing is bed sharing, and anything in the room is co-sleeping. So even if you have a bassinet next to your bed, you are co sleeping.

All just terms, but I do like to see people using them properly so much negativity is found when you say "co sleeping" but the reality is that almost everyone does it, even if they are not sharing a bed.

Old January 16th, 2014, 01:15 AM   #11
Sindorella

Member #: 16096
Here are several sources that list safe bed sharing and/or co-sleeping guidelines. From what I have seen, it isn't really recommended to have babies sleep between the parents in the bed. They should be along side the mother, not in between both parents.

http://cosleeping.nd.edu/safe-co-sleeping-guidelines/
http://safebedsharing.org/safetyguidelines.html
http://kellymom.com/parenting/nighttime/familybed/

There is also some recommendations on Dr. Sears site, but there they say that you should always use a guard rail or push the bed against the wall and every other source I have seen warns strongly against that. Maybe the bed sharing moms can weigh in more on that.

Sindorella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2014, 02:10 AM   #12
RabbitMama85

I use a guard rail because my bed just isn't big enough for the amount of moving dd does.

The other option, which many people do do, is put the mattress without the frame or boxspring on the floor. So if baby rolls off, it's likely only 4-5inches depending on your mattress.

Both are equally popular within my circle. It just depends on what you are comfortable with and the habits of the baby (still sleeper, or "violent" like my dd). Our rail has the breathable mesh netting that is currently popular as the "breathable bumpers". I don't really like the idea of dd falling off a bed, regardless of how few inches, so that's what we are comfortable with. However, I can't remember how old she was when we started using it...could have been around 3-4 months. Might have been later...

I resisted bed-sharing for as long as I could before just accepting that we somehow became one of "those" people. I think some parts of life will be easier the next time around now that I've figured out what works for my family.

Old January 16th, 2014, 08:15 AM   #13
AmeliaPond

Member #: 13744
My cousin and her husband used something like this between them in the bed...

http://www.amazon.com/Summer-Infant-...sleep+bassinet

AmeliaPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2014, 10:59 PM   #14
rebaguirre

Member #: 26440
I was scared of dh rolling on my baby also so what I do is I lay down with her and put a middle between dd and sh. Or I face out and have my dh behind me. I love it!

rebaguirre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2014, 11:05 AM   #15
wannabamommy2

Member #: 12213
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitMama85 View Post
Also, bed sharing is bed sharing, and anything in the room is co-sleeping. So even if you have a bassinet next to your bed, you are co sleeping.

All just terms, but I do like to see people using them properly so much negativity is found when you say "co sleeping" but the reality is that almost everyone does it, even if they are not sharing a bed.

wannabamommy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2014, 05:22 PM   #16
mommynature

Member #: 26405
I've co slept with my son since he was born it worked for breastfeeding and naturally he slept longer and through the night quicker, he still had a bassinet and now has a crib that he sleeps in but on most night Los when I'm really tired or he's fussy he's in my bed. At first it was hard because I was afraid I'd squish him but you soon learn you won't I actually sleep better when he's with me. My bed is pushed against my wall so I put him against the wall and I'm on the edge and we have never had a problem. He is now 7 months old.

Last edited by mommynature; June 28th, 2014 at 05:25 PM..
mommynature is offline   Reply With Quote