Welcome to TMP's trying to conceive, pregnancy & parenting forums!
TTC & Pregnancy Tools: Ovulation Calculator | hCG Calculator | Due Date Calculator
The TMP Store

Preconception, Pregnancy, Parenting & You

Go Back   The Mommy Playbook > Parenting & Family Forums > Oh Baby! (birth to age one)

Can someone talk to me about Mamaroos? - Oh Baby! (birth to age one)

Old August 25th, 2014, 04:40 PM   #9
MissusE

Member #: 26564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altrix View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissusE View Post
Yeah, I think we're going to pass on it. If they didn't grow out of them so fast I'd consider it, but it looks like they grow out of the Mamaroos by 3 months and you can't even use it for a newborn without a special insert that's like another $50. I can't see spending $250 on something for 2-3 months of use. Thanks for your input, ladies.
Wait, you can't use it for a newborn?

Why do you say, "it looks like they outgrow them by 3m"? Is that based on reviews or product specs?

Now I'm really curious why anyone would buy that.....

ETA: ok, I looked up the weight limit because I was curious, it's 25lbs which is the same as the new swing I just bought for #2, and when they're able to sit up on their own, which is essentially the same warning but different wording. So it looks like it's the same idea as swings. I think the newborn insert is more of a "comfort" thing rather than a 'need'. You could easily just but a folded blanket down to cradle baby a little more nicely?
My college profs are echoing in my head, "Cite your sources!" and I guess this is why! DH did most of the research on this one and reported back that they outgrow it by 3 months and you need an insert. I could've sworn I read the same thing about outgrowing it but now I can't find it anywhere.

As for the insert, I guess I just saw it and assumed it was a necessary add-on, and all of the threads on other forums I'd read never mentioned using it on a baby less than 4 weeks or so, so I assumed they must be waiting so they could avoid buying the insert. And then my husband said "Oh, and lookie here, you have to buy a newborn insert, too!" and I figured he'd gathered the same thing and it must be true, buuuut again, now that I'm digging deeper I don't see anything that says you have to. Huh! Maybe I should rethink this.

MissusE is offline   Reply With Quote
Please register or login to remove these ads.

Old August 28th, 2014, 02:41 AM   #10
pixxie
loving my baby!!

Member #: 14787
I got one as a gift back in 2012 and I sold it within weeks. The fabric was too hard and it didn't move fast enough. The major buzzkill was that it didn't fully recline, so my dd kept slipping down and constantly had her chin on her chest.

A few weeks later, a new version came out that addressed literally every one of those issues. I never bothered to check it out but I hear rave reviews. It's not something I would ever purchase, but I'm curious about the new version.

pixxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2014, 04:39 PM   #11
AmeliaPond

Member #: 13744
I watched a video of one on youtube and noticed it moved kind of slow. I wondered how it would work with a baby that weighs the higher end of the limit.

AmeliaPond is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mamaroos?, talk