Welcome to TMP's trying to conceive, pregnancy & parenting forums!
TTC & Pregnancy Tools: Ovulation Calculator | hCG Calculator | Due Date Calculator
The TMP Store

Preconception, Pregnancy, Parenting & You

Go Back   The Mommy Playbook > 2014 Playgroups > September 2014 Playgroup

Breastfeeding questions - September 2014 Playgroup

Old October 4th, 2014, 10:29 AM   #1
MH1984

Member #: 25871
Breastfeeding questions

So I'm soo new to breastfeeding as I didn't with my first 2. And I'm really adamant I want to stick this out no matter how hard it will get and not have to supplement with formula at all.

First off I have scabs on my nipples and I want to know if this is normal? Like this may seem dumb but I'm worried it's preventing milk from fully coming out as it seems that scabbed. I've tried the nipple cream but they still scab up.
Because I had a c-section they told me it could take 4-5 days for my milk to come in, I'm on day 5 and still don't think it's fully in, it's like inbetween if that makes sense? My boobs are hard and feeling somewhat full-ish but not 100%. I've been trying to pump to help speed up it coming in and also so dh can help feed at night. I've been able to pump 1.5oz yesterday that was out of both boobs, and about 2-3pumping sessions. Doesn't seem like much.
So now I'm paranoid she isn't getting very much. Like she feeds and seems content but sometimes she is latched on for 20 min or more and I know I don't have that much supply in there. It's all soooo confusing.
Is it normal to not have a full supply yet?
Also when we give her the bottle I pump she eats that in like 1 min easily, and I have slow nipples, I'm using advent bottles right now.

Anyways any tips, advice or anything regarding breastfeeding I would love! I don't know anyone to ask questions to.

My dh is soo into breastfeeding it's cute!! He's gotten right in there with me to help get her latched etc lol. Love it!!!

MH1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please register or login to remove these ads.

Old October 4th, 2014, 10:53 AM   #2
Lindsay

Member #: 9094
Couple of thoughts

Pumping is ZERO indication of supply

Keep applying lanolin yo your nipples, but scabs aren't normal. Have you had her latch checked?

20 minutes isn't a long time to nurse at all.

At this stage, if you absolutely must supplement, I'd use a syringe not a bottle.

Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2014, 10:54 AM   #3
RabbitMama85

Member #: 12297
Quote:
Originally Posted by MH1984 View Post
So I'm soo new to breastfeeding as I didn't with my first 2. And I'm really adamant I want to stick this out no matter how hard it will get and not have to supplement with formula at all. First off I have scabs on my nipples and I want to know if this is normal? Like this may seem dumb but I'm worried it's preventing milk from fully coming out as it seems that scabbed. I've tried the nipple cream but they still scab up. Because I had a c-section they told me it could take 4-5 days for my milk to come in, I'm on day 5 and still don't think it's fully in, it's like inbetween if that makes sense? My boobs are hard and feeling somewhat full-ish but not 100%. I've been trying to pump to help speed up it coming in and also so dh can help feed at night. I've been able to pump 1.5oz yesterday that was out of both boobs, and about 2-3pumping sessions. Doesn't seem like much. So now I'm paranoid she isn't getting very much. Like she feeds and seems content but sometimes she is latched on for 20 min or more and I know I don't have that much supply in there. It's all soooo confusing. Is it normal to not have a full supply yet? Also when we give her the bottle I pump she eats that in like 1 min easily, and I have slow nipples, I'm using advent bottles right now. Anyways any tips, advice or anything regarding breastfeeding I would love! I don't know anyone to ask questions to. My dh is soo into breastfeeding it's cute!! He's gotten right in there with me to help get her latched etc lol. Love it!!!
First of all, it sounds like you are doing great and all of that's normal! So breathe and relax

Scabbed nipples isn't a problem in itself, as long as you are not having lasting pain while nursing, or if it's still hurting when you are not nursing. You can try coconut oil on the scabs to help loosen them up, combined with lanolin, and even hand express milk and rub it on the nipple to let air dry. All of that should help heal the nipple.

I hate when people use the phrase "milk comes in" because it leave moms believing there isn't anything there until it "comes in" but colostrum is something, and it's good for baby! Some women do have milk come in over night like a force that can't be contained, but with both of mine, I really didn't have that. It came more like a rising tide, if that makes sense. Everyone is different, but there is SOMETHING there, and what's there is fine. If you google search "size of newborn stomach" you will see how small baby's tummy really is, and you will feel better about how much you are pumping. They really don't need very much in the beginning. Also, pumping is not, nor will ever be, a perfect way to measure how much baby is getting. If you are concerned, do a weighed feeding. Go to a dr appointment early, weigh baby when you get there, then feed, and weigh baby immediately after (naked both times), so you can see how much baby is getting from you. That will be more accurate.

Being latched for 20 minutes is completely normal! Getting milk out of a breast is hard work. Unless you have over active letdown (which isn't a good thing) where it literally sprays out of you.

Here is the recommended way to bottle feed a breastfed baby http://youtu.be/UH4T70OSzGs it is slow, just like breastfeeding, but it keeps baby from sucking it down too fast and let's them feel full when they are full. I'm going to link to kelly mom about pumping and bottle feeding baby once I get the link. Lots of good information. Kellymom is an awesome site for information on breastfeeding.

RabbitMama85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2014, 10:57 AM   #4
RabbitMama85

Member #: 12297
And I agree with Lindsay, check and double check the latch. Check for tongue tie and lip tie...pediatricians DO NOT check these very well. Find an LC or a breastfeeding support group like LLL or breastfeeding USA.

Kellymom on bottle feeding http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/f...ottle-feeding/

RabbitMama85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2014, 11:18 AM   #5
Altrix
aka 55555

Member #: 17653
Popping in -

I agree with what the other ladies have already said, especially about getting checked for latch/lip/tongue tie issues. I had scabs on my nipples as well, and the LC I saw was very happy with our latch, but it turned out afterwards that she had a tongue and lip tie which is likely what gave me the issues (she's still nursing at 2 though with no corrections).

At 5 days old, 20+ minutes is very normal, you may have to make sure she's staying awake and eating the whole time though so that she's emptying your breast, not sleeping .

I've never (personally) been a fan of early pumping unless it's medically necessary because I think it can very easily lead to more issues than it solves if done incorrectly, so if you see an LC, I suggest you talk to them about that too, and how you can best balance that going forward if you wish to continue doing both.

Best of luck and feel free to pop into the BFing forum (link in siggy below) here on TMP for support!

Altrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2014, 10:46 PM   #6
MH1984

Member #: 25871
Thank you everyone for the replies!!!!
Wow so many things to consider, I am now seriously wondering if we are having latch issues. Thankfully we see a nurse Monday morning and I will get her to check or bring in the LC. I don't think it's a lip/tongue tie but don't know what that quite looks like.

MH1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2014, 10:58 PM   #7
afwifey

Member #: 21610
Quote:
Originally Posted by MH1984 View Post
Thank you everyone for the replies!!!! Wow so many things to consider, I am now seriously wondering if we are having latch issues. Thankfully we see a nurse Monday morning and I will get her to check or bring in the LC. I don't think it's a lip/tongue tie but don't know what that quite looks like.
Good luck with nursing Mel!!!! Hope you get some concrete answers on Monday!

afwifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2014, 11:30 PM   #8
Lioness

Member #: 23766
My little man had a tongue tie that I had to have clipped. The end of his tongue will look like a heart. My original Ped said that a tongue tie will not interfere with latch, but it does. I had to switch peds. My LC found the tie and said that was the cause of my nipples scabbing. I had toe curling pain for weeks. Over a month. Here's a pic of my son before I had his tongue tie clipped:

image-1507253359.jpg

image-4028890441.jpg

Read my personal blog! http://bebeautifulwithsherrie.weebly.com

Lioness is offline   Reply With Quote