Welcome to TMP's trying to conceive, pregnancy & parenting forums!
TTC & Pregnancy Tools: Ovulation Calculator | hCG Calculator | Due Date Calculator
The TMP Store

Preconception, Pregnancy, Parenting & You

Go Back   The Mommy Playbook > 2014 Playgroups > September 2014 Playgroup

Feeling stressed :( - September 2014 Playgroup

Old December 16th, 2014, 01:01 PM   #9
Munko

Member #: 14753
Babies have a suck swallow reflex they have no control over until about 3-4 months. Which means they keep drinking bottles even when they are full. Bottles also flow much faster than the breast and their bodies don't get the signal that they're full until they're too full.

Don't feel pressured. Wait and see what the LC says and trust her, yourself and your baby. If your Dr isn't supportive after you have been told she's gained well (because she has! Almost 3lbs in 2.5 months - that's totally normal weight gain). Then you can find a Dr who is in line with your BF goals, rather than one who wants to see your baby chunk up like a FF baby when that's not necessarily how she will grow.

Another thing you can do is Google breast compressions and start doing those towards the end of her nursing sessions when she starts to slow down and the milk has slowed. It will help her get more Hindmilk (the fatty milk) more easily.

I had the Drs push and push and push more formula (I had to supplement full time and nurse full time) and it wasn't until she was fully on formula that they stopped pushing and believed she was content and growing at her own rate.

If I knew then what I knew now I wouldn't have let it stress me out so much, and wouldn't have felt so guilty that I must be doing something wrong because she wasn't growing faster. She was sleeping well, she was happy, she was developing ahead of average - she peed and pooped a lot. All signs pointed to a happy, healthy, growing baby. The scale was just a bit behind. But you have to look at the whole baby, not just the scale.

You've got this mama.

Munko is offline   Reply With Quote
Please register or login to remove these ads.

Old December 16th, 2014, 01:11 PM   #10
Munko

Member #: 14753
And, just FYI - here's the math. She's gained 45oz in 73 days (assuming you left day 3, at 6lb 3oz). That's over a half oz a day average. As Lindsay said 1/2-1oz a day is normal. Keep an eye on her weight gain going forward to make sure it's not slowing, but right now it sounds like she's doing perfect!

Some Drs are really great and knowledgable about normal growth with breast feeding, but a lot are not and they expect the rapid weight gain often seen early in FF babies.

Munko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2014, 01:25 PM   #11
Lindsay

Member #: 9094
What about length. How much has she grown there?

Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2014, 01:51 PM   #12
Altrix
aka 55555

Member #: 17653
Popping in - sort of skimmed

How long is she STTN? If it were me I'd wake her at intervals over the night and get extra feedings in there before worrying about supplementing. But of course I don't know details of how long she's sleeping and therefore how many extra feedings you could fit in?

Altrix is offline   Reply With Quote