Welcome to TMP's trying to conceive, pregnancy & parenting forums!
TTC & Pregnancy Tools: Ovulation Calculator | hCG Calculator | Due Date Calculator
The TMP Store

Preconception, Pregnancy, Parenting & You

Go Back   The Mommy Playbook > 2008 - 2012 Playgroups > 2012 Playgroups > July 2012 Playgroup

Sleeping Question - July 2012 Playgroup

Old December 14th, 2012, 09:24 AM   #1
misslisa

Member #: 11227
Sleeping Question

Hi! For the past several weeks, maybe even longer, Grayson has been eating much less during the day and then eating a lot in the evening and through the night. So, this is sorta what his eating schedule looks like. Of course it changes a little day by day:

midnight- nurses/ or eats 4 oz
3:30am- nurses/ or eats 5 oz
7:00am- eats 3-4 oz
9:00am- eats 1-3 oz
12:00 noon- eats 2-4 oz
4:00pm- eats 4 oz
8:oopm- eats 4 oz
10:00pm- nurses/or eats 4 oz

You can see that during the evening and night time hours (8pm-7am) he is eating roughly 21 oz (5 feedings), and between 9am-4pm he is eating half that much (3 feedings), 11 oz. Is that normal? Do most babies eat more in the evening/ sleeping hours? I would really like for this trend to flop. Eating more during our awake hours and less during the sleeping hours. Is there anyway I can start to transition this change?

misslisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Please register or login to remove these ads.

Old December 14th, 2012, 09:33 AM   #2
AJH1544
My DH's #1 Fan

Member #: 16785
So this is what ive heard and read:

Your bm changes consistency through the day. Your milk in the evening or at night is leas volume but more fat and calories, which in theory is longer to digest and more satisfying to baby, thus allowing them to be satisfied longer at night leading to sleeping longer because they arent hungry. So what i would consider is what time the bm you are giving in a bottle came from. Purists would say you want to give bm pumped at the same time if day that you are feeding it. For example, give lo morning bm in the mornings, noon bm at noon, etc

AJH1544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2012, 11:22 AM   #3
Munko

Member #: 14753
Do you work? I notice he only nurses at night (or that's how you wrote it anyways) if that's the case he may be reverse cycling in an attempt to reconnect with you and hold off for the good stuff straight from the tap while you're together.

Do you always feed him when he wakes at night? Has DH tried to put him back down for you? He may be frequently waking and not really needing food, but taking it because its offered? We found this with DD - I was feeding her everytime she woke, then it started to get excessive and we tried putting her back to sleep before trying to feed her and it worked about half the time, so she wasn't really hungry half the times she was waking up.

Also, 4-5oz is large for a bottle for a breastfed baby, he may be waking more because he's not getting as much from the breast as he's used to getting from the bottle. Does he seem to last longer after a bottle at night? You might try cutting his bottles down (day and night) and see if he'll eat more frequently through the day, he may take more over-all and sleep better at night if he's not trying to fill up all night long.

Munko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2012, 02:20 PM   #4
misslisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munko View Post
Do you work? I notice he only nurses at night (or that's how you wrote it anyways) if that's the case he may be reverse cycling in an attempt to reconnect with you and hold off for the good stuff straight from the tap while you're together.

Do you always feed him when he wakes at night? Has DH tried to put him back down for you? He may be frequently waking and not really needing food, but taking it because its offered? We found this with DD - I was feeding her everytime she woke, then it started to get excessive and we tried putting her back to sleep before trying to feed her and it worked about half the time, so she wasn't really hungry half the times she was waking up.

Also, 4-5oz is large for a bottle for a breastfed baby, he may be waking more because he's not getting as much from the breast as he's used to getting from the bottle. Does he seem to last longer after a bottle at night? You might try cutting his bottles down (day and night) and see if he'll eat more frequently through the day, he may take more over-all and sleep better at night if he's not trying to fill up all night long.
Yes, I work during the day from 7am-330pm, then I watch my 2 year old and my 5 month old in the evenings. I only get a chance to nurse after my 2 year old goes to bed. Otherwise he distracts me and Grayson. My husband works second shift. I don't offer breast or pumped bottle after midnight. I offer the 10pm, but not the midnight, 3:30am or the 7am. He wakes up crying. I've tried to offer a paci, but several times he refused it, he never has been a paci baby. Maybe I should try that again? IDK, at that hour, I just want to do what works to get him back to sleep since I have to be up for work at 530am! Do you think I should? Myabe I should just try soothing him back to sleep instead of feeding?? No, he seems to last longer between feeding in the early morning, I guess because he's been eating so much through the night! LOL! In the morning he only eats a couple ounces here and there. How much should a breastfed baby eat a day? Hard to tell unless you are xpumping. Great advice!

Old December 14th, 2012, 02:22 PM   #5
misslisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJH1544 View Post
So this is what ive heard and read:

Your bm changes consistency through the day. Your milk in the evening or at night is leas volume but more fat and calories, which in theory is longer to digest and more satisfying to baby, thus allowing them to be satisfied longer at night leading to sleeping longer because they arent hungry. So what i would consider is what time the bm you are giving in a bottle came from. Purists would say you want to give bm pumped at the same time if day that you are feeding it. For example, give lo morning bm in the mornings, noon bm at noon, etc
hmmm...interesting! He doesn't always get "matching" milk. I will start indicating AM and PM on the pumped bottles and see if that helps.

Old December 15th, 2012, 09:22 PM   #6
Steener11

Member #: 13584
Here is Jack's schedule (although it may not be helpful, because he's formula fed, maybe it will be?)
8:30am - 8oz
12:00pm - 8 oz
3:30 - 8 oz
6-6:30 - 8 oz
10:30 - 8 oz

He will occasionally leave an ounce or two, but he's more often still hungry after it at this point. I'm going to try some rice cereal I think. He's 5 months, but I can't give him more than 8oz!! That's just too much I think.

Both of my boys had pretty much this same schedule. I did have to kind of "train" him, though. A little bit before I went back to work, I would hold him off from his 5am feeding for a half hour or so every night by holding/rocking him, and then he got used to the longer stretch.

Sent from my iPhone using TMP Forums

Steener11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2012, 09:23 AM   #7
beat4dahead
Praying for my little one

Member #: 16911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steener11 View Post
Here is Jack's schedule (although it may not be helpful, because he's formula fed, maybe it will be?)
8:30am - 8oz
12:00pm - 8 oz
3:30 - 8 oz
6-6:30 - 8 oz
10:30 - 8 oz

He will occasionally leave an ounce or two, but he's more often still hungry after it at this point. I'm going to try some rice cereal I think. He's 5 months, but I can't give him more than 8oz!! That's just too much I think.

Both of my boys had pretty much this same schedule. I did have to kind of "train" him, though. A little bit before I went back to work, I would hold him off from his 5am feeding for a half hour or so every night by holding/rocking him, and then he got used to the longer stretch.

Sent from my iPhone using TMP Forums
Wow, so Jack sleeps all night?

beat4dahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2012, 12:24 PM   #8
misslisa

Grayson used to sleep through the night, but over the past 2 months he gets up at 3:30! I want him to go back to his old schedule!

Tags
question, sleeping