Welcome to TMP's trying to conceive, pregnancy & parenting forums!
TTC & Pregnancy Tools: Ovulation Calculator | hCG Calculator | Due Date Calculator
The TMP Store

Preconception, Pregnancy, Parenting & You

Go Back   The Mommy Playbook > Parenting & Family Forums > Adoption/Foster Parenting

Thinking about adoption - Adoption/Foster Parenting

Old January 28th, 2014, 09:31 PM   #9
hope4serenity
Lead Nut!

Member #: 16242
D How is Little M? I think of you guys often! (sorry for the off topic question)
Ashley I hope you can find a way to make your family complete

hope4serenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Please register or login to remove these ads.

Old January 28th, 2014, 11:25 PM   #10
TurkeyMama
AKA MillerMammaWannaBe

Member #: 19772
Little M is thriving despite the freezing temps around here. He has a pretty good cold right now but hasn't really let that stop him. We are dealing with some treacherous three's but hey what preschool age mama doesn't at some point! *Seriously if you know of a trick please let me know it, lol!

Ashley, I don't know what all you looked into regarding private infant adoption but there are some agencies that have a sliding scale for their fee's. Off the top of my head I know one near me only charges 10% of your annual income with a minimum of $7,500. There may be some agencies near you that do the same.

TurkeyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2014, 12:07 PM   #11
muttmatch
Mom to a perfect baby boy

Member #: 16653
D,
Thank you TONS for that information. A lot of it was new to me and very helpful. We were looking into foster to adopt as money was a large concern (coming up with $12,000 for an adoption just doesn't seem feasible for us) I do understand the heartbreak that is most likely to happen. My husband is very much against going through everything we went through to get Matthew (especially the IVF's) I like the idea of adoption, helping a child that needs a stable home and both he and I agreed to foster older kids once our children were out of the house. We may look into the private as you suggest and see if they offer a sliding scale. DH is not really wanting to deal with it right now as the whole thing stresses him out, but I am by nature a planner and like to have an idea of what to expect. Thank you for your help!

muttmatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2014, 03:16 PM   #12
TurkeyMama
AKA MillerMammaWannaBe

Member #: 19772
Ashley, I am the same way. We are probably a good year or two out from pursuing the domestic adoption yet I am already looking at agencies. A good thing to keep in mind is that you can use an agency out of state and have a agency closer to you perform the home study and such. The other thing is there are lots of grants and such that you can get to help with domestic adoption expenses. So you may only have to pay out of pocket for the home study (most grants require you have an approved home study to be considered). Those can run around the $1,500 to $1,700 range.

DH and I are all about getting out of debt and we were on track to pay off a large portion of it in the next 3 years before we began the adoption. Since we ended up having to take out an adoption loan that sort of put that plan in the trash lol. So don't get totally discouraged just by looking at the overall fee's alone. There are ways to do it without going into debt. They just take awhile longer and a bit more effort, aka lots of writing grant applications.

TurkeyMama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adoption, thinking