Welcome to TMP's trying to conceive, pregnancy & parenting forums!
TTC & Pregnancy Tools: Ovulation Calculator | hCG Calculator | Due Date Calculator
The TMP Store

Preconception, Pregnancy, Parenting & You

Go Back   The Mommy Playbook > Pregnancy Forums > Pregnancy Chat > Special Pregnancies

Untreated Hypothyroid until 2nd tri? - Special Pregnancies

Old January 14th, 2011, 02:38 AM   #1
Sevenladybugs

Member #: 13453
Untreated Hypothyroid until 2nd tri?

I just found out on wed that my T4 is very low. I am 21 wks and my Dr has put me on Levothyroxone 75mcg. I see an endocrinologist for other issues, and when my levels were tested in June they were at .78 for my free T4 and the normal level is .8 minimum. At the time I was not planning on being pregnant, and he said he felt this was normal for me, since my TSH and T3 were normal. I called him to let him know as soon as I got the positive pregnancy test and he said see you next June! So I trusted that my levels weren't an issue and my OB just said let's retest you at 20 wks. Well my level was .5 this time.

When I looked it up on the internet looking at scientifically valid sources they state the critical time for the baby is before 12 wks before they make their own thyroid hormones! My baby could have developmental delays now, and a loss of IQ points averaging 7-8 pts. I already have 2 children with developmental delays so this really upsets me (Aspergers not caused by anything like this, in fact they have very high IQ). There are also other risks that this put me at. I am glad we are treating it now, because there are other complications such as abruptio placenta it can cause, but I really am scared that my baby is going to have permanent harm from this. Has anyone else been through this and have any advice?

Sevenladybugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Please register or login to remove these ads.

Old January 24th, 2011, 06:06 PM   #2
Dani1978

Member #: 7729
Hey, girl. I don't have any response for you... other than to let you know I feel for you and may find myself in a similar situation.... I recently switched OBs and my new OB wants to check my thyroid because I have been very hot and having night sweats. Supposedly, that is an indication of some thyroid issue.... I am almost 22 weeks. If the results are bad, I missed the critical time for intervention as well.... Hope this isn't the case for either one of us!

Dani1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2011, 08:31 PM   #3
Sevenladybugs

I'm sorry you are going through this too Dani

Old November 10th, 2012, 01:01 PM   #4
mandkplusone

Member #: 20945
Hi there,
I'm new to the site and was just wondering if either of you had an update on how the pregnancies went with the hypothyroidism? I was 11 weeks yesterday and just found out this past Wednesday that my bloodwork looks like I have hypothyroidism. I am worried about the first trimester being a critical time & the effect on the baby's brain development.
Thanks.

mandkplusone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2013, 07:43 PM   #5
mrs. grant

Member #: 22416
It sounds like you and your doctors caught the issue, worrying at this point will only make things worst. You are a strong woman and your baby sounds strong too. You will do fine, but you have to not work yourself up any more. We are all here for you too.

mrs. grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2013, 02:03 AM   #6
Sevenladybugs

Ben was premature (water broke at 32 wks) but he is a very healthy 22 month old now and VERY smart. No effects from the late introduction of thyroid replacement. I didn't start levothyroxine until I was halfway through my pregnancy and he was just fine.

Tags
hypothyroid, tri?, untreated