Welcome to TMP's trying to conceive, pregnancy & parenting forums!
TTC & Pregnancy Tools: Ovulation Calculator | hCG Calculator | Due Date Calculator
The TMP Store

Preconception, Pregnancy, Parenting & You

Go Back   The Mommy Playbook > Pregnancy Forums > Pregnancy Chat > Special Pregnancies

Rh Negative and have Antibodies - Special Pregnancies

Old August 3rd, 2009, 09:42 PM   #1
Nila

Member #: 6146
Rh Negative and have Antibodies

Hi ladies,

I'm a little worried (ok a little might be the wrong word... very might be more accurate!)
I have a negative blood type. I am currently in the 5th week of my third pregnancy. I have a 15 month old and suffered a miscarriage this past May. I received the injections (WinRho) for both of those events. I went to my doctor last week for this pregnancy and she sent me for the usually wack of blood work. Today I received a phone call from the doctor who is covering for my family doctor while she is on vacation. She told me that I have antibodies in my blood and that the normal procedure is to follow up every 4 weeks to monitor their levels.

So this has totally freaked me out! I asked if this might have caused my miscarriage in the spring but she said that it was hard to say because a lot of women miscarry early and it can happen for any number of reasons. I asked if I should make an appointment with my doctor earlier because of the miscarriage but she said 4 weeks would be ok. So on top of my usual worry because of my miscarriage, I'm now carrying this extra stress which I will no doubt have through out the rest of this and every other pregnancy I ever have

I was wondering if anyone has been through this before? And if you have any encouraging stories for me. Does this make me a high risk pregnancy? My next appointment with my family doctor isn't until the end of August (but I have a feeling she will call me once she is back from vacation).

Thanks!!

~ Nila

Nila is offline   Reply With Quote
Please register or login to remove these ads.

Old August 4th, 2009, 09:50 AM   #2
osu_1fan

Member #: 8066
I have a negative blood type too and in the states it just means that I have to have to RhoGam shot during pregnancy and then the baby and I have to have it at delivery. There isn't really any special precautions unless you are in a wreck or something and the possibility of the blood mixing in utero is an issue. I think that doctor might be causing you unnecessary worry.

osu_1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2009, 09:57 AM   #3
JessicaB

Member #: 7474
I have it also it can be bad if your bodys trying to fight the baby. My body never made antibodies before. I've had tons of shots. My dr gives them even if i have a tiny bit of pink spotting. My aunt is she had her 1st two kids fine, but kept having MC's after. She's had two babys since all the problems with being sensitized. Since your bodys showing you are sensitized, you prob will be seeing a high risk dr to make sure you and baby are okay.

JessicaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2009, 12:37 PM   #4
babygreenplz

Member #: 8939
I would try not to worry about it too much. It just means that you rhesus factor negative, and the only time you might have an issue with it is if your baby is positive. And the only requirement to have a healthy happy baby is to get an injection. Try to relax and just wait until you see your doctor in a few weeks.

babygreenplz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2009, 01:43 PM   #5
Nila

Member #: 6146
Sorry guys,

Maybe I didn't explain this clearly.
This is no longer a case of get the injection and your fine. My body has produced the antibodies against the positive blood (as a result of either my first pregnancy or my miscarriage) even though I received the shots with both. So if this baby has positive blood, my antibodies can cross the placenta and attack the babys blood.
Getting the shots at this point does not do anything. I am sensitized.

Thanks JessicaB - Thats great news with your Aunt having 2 babies after going through this. Its reassuring!!

I spoke with a co-worker today who is currently going through something very similar, so I was able to find out a bit more info from her, about what to expect with a high risk pregnancy. But I'm going to have to wait for my doctor to be back from vacation before I can say for sure what the next steps are.

Thanks for your replies.

Nila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2009, 02:46 PM   #6
osu_1fan

Member #: 8066
Nila-I hope you get some good answers.

osu_1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2009, 07:02 PM   #7
Luvbug
Coming down w/baby fever!

Member #: 9365
Quote:
Originally Posted by osu_1fan View Post
I have a negative blood type too and in the states it just means that I have to have to RhoGam shot during pregnancy and then the baby and I have to have it at delivery. There isn't really any special precautions unless you are in a wreck or something and the possibility of the blood mixing in utero is an issue. I think that doctor might be causing you unnecessary worry.
I think she means she has been sensitized, meaning her baby is at risk. I am in the SAME boat. I am already high risk because of placental abruption and uterine rupture (resulted in stillbirth). I do not remember getting rhogam after the birth. I am almst 5 weeks. I go back to the doc on Monday and again Tuesday so I will see if I have antibodies. We did not know the baby's blood type. I'm not sure if they took blood or not as she was stillborn.

My doc told me that the risk of hydrops (the disease that babies get when mom is sensitized) can be severe or mild (and of course in between). That most severe cases are found in women who've been sensitized and has had several pregnancies after which.

I will be praying for you!!! If you want to talk you can pm me!

Luvbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2009, 08:48 PM   #8
Leasel
Leilani & Brendan's Mommy

Member #: 133
My mom is Rh negative and had to deal with this before the days of Rhogam. She had four babies, was sensitized after #2. #3 was Rh negative, so she was fine. #4 caused much consternation with the doctors, but after all the fretting, he was born perfectly healthy, just a bit jaundiced. And he is RH positive. So all that to say my mom had a healthy Rh positive baby after being sensitized.

Also keep in mind that this baby might be Rh negative too, in which case there is no problem! (I am Rh negative, but so was my first baby, so no problems with being sensitized.)

Leasel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antibodies, rh negative