Welcome to TMP's trying to conceive, pregnancy & parenting forums!
TTC & Pregnancy Tools: Ovulation Calculator | hCG Calculator | Due Date Calculator
The TMP Store

Preconception, Pregnancy, Parenting & You

Go Back   The Mommy Playbook > Due Date Clubs > May / June 2015 Due Date Club > Journals

Kim's May Baby Journal! - Journals

Old February 25th, 2015, 12:04 AM   #65
Kim
Beauty from Pain

Member #: 13082
I totally forgot to update here for my 28 week biophysical, so I'm just gonna copy and paste what I wrote in the main forum:
Quote:
The appointment went pretty good. The baby is active and the NST looked perfect. She is measuring 2weeks ahead again, but she has been for most of the pregnancy. Her estimated weight this time is 3lb8oz!! So she's up a full (estimated) pound since two weeks ago. They said at this stage the estimate can be + or - 8 oz, so the smallest she is is 3lb and the biggest is 4lb. Anatomically everything looks good. She passed the biophysical with full marks for everything. She's breech this time, with her head on my right side.And she's adorable! I'll post some pics in the gallery.

Ok, so that's the good stuff. Now the areas of concern are that I have polyhydramnios (too much amniotic fluid). There was no anatomical reason evident. She looked to see if she could determine if there's a bowel blockage in the baby to explain why there's so much fluid, but like I said, all was well.
The other reason could be gestational diabetes, but she reviewed my test from last week and it was negative for GD.
Another explanation could be chromosomal abnormalities but usually if that's the case they'd see a small baby and high fluid. Also the serum screen was negative and there's no sign of any physical issues with the baby
Another explanation is that there is no reason, which is what I'm hoping for! She did say that with so much fluid I could go into labor early.

Another area of concern is that my cervix is funnelling internally. That means the outer os (vaginal side) is closed and long, but the os into the uterus is opened. She's not concerned right now because my cervix is so long. All of that means that we can't alternate the biophysicals between here and home anymore So we have to come in here every two weeks.

Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Please register or login to remove these ads.

Old February 25th, 2015, 12:08 AM   #66
Kim
Beauty from Pain

30 weeks!

It is so nice to be in the 30s finally. I feel like I can breathe a little sigh of relief, even though there's still a long way to go. I had my appt with my OB today.
I only gained a pound in a bout a month, so that's nice. My BP is great. My uterus is measuring 34 weeks, yikes!
He told me that the polyhydramnios is truly polyhydramnios, with 37cm of fluid measured (whatever that means). He said that 25cm is considered the high end of normal.

I do have my next biophisical appt in town with my high risk OB this Thursday coming. I'm really curious to see what the fluid measurement is now, and of course I'm excited to see the baby!

Old March 21st, 2015, 03:27 PM   #67
Kim
Beauty from Pain

33w4d

Geez it's been a long time since I updated this. I had a biophysical done at 30 weeks, another at 32 weeks and we're heading into town next week for my 34 week one. At the 32 week one she was measuring 5lb1oz, estimated of course.
She was head down with her back and bum to the right.
I think we're pretty solid on the name Anna Rose. I like it, it's simple but pretty.
At 31 weeks I had some brown spotting. I went in for assessment and my cervix admitted a fingertip, was posterior and long. The NST strip was ok after a bit of trying to wake the baby up. Ten the spotting disappeared.
Yesterday it came back again. I have no idea what it is or where it's coming from. My OB didn't offer any potential explanations last time so I'm planning on asking him the possible causes at my next appt. it's still there today but very minuscule amounts.
The baby is active lately which is nice. I don't think anyone here or irl actually get that I still wake up every morning expecting the baby to be gone. It's so morbid but I won't get out of bed until I feel her kick and it's almost like I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't. I still don't 100% believe that we're going to get her here safely. I pray and pray that she's ok. It would seem like a miracle to me if she arrives ok. I know I probably need to see someone about these feelings. I thought they'd go away after I passed 18 weeks, and certainly by this point. I guess I just won't feel safe until she's here and ok.

Old April 19th, 2015, 12:46 AM   #68
Kim
Beauty from Pain

37w4d: I haven't updated in so long. We have an induction date for this Wednesday, April 22. So no May baby for me. I'll be 38w1d on the day of induction. A part of me was expecting them to deliver me early, but it was still a huge shock to me to leave my 37 week OB appointment with 9 days between me and the baby's arrival. And now it's down to 4 days.

The reasons behind the early induction are
1: the abnormal uterine artery dopplers combined with slightly elevated inhibin A way back at 19 weeks and persisting at 24 weeks. It can mean that my placenta isn't the greatest, the blood flow is impaired, and that the placenta may fail before or at term.

2: the polyhydramnios. I've gone from 37cm at my 28 week u/s, to "normal" at my 30 and 32 week scans, to 32cm at the 34 week scan, and 29cm at the 36 week scan. So I've bounced between severe poly, to no poly, to mild-moderate poly. Very confusing, I know.
So the issues with poly are that it can indicate a problem with the baby. Whether it be chromosomal or structural. My quad screen was negative but ever since I heard my induction date I've been panicking a little. It could be esophageal atresia, or a fistula, or nothing at all. I'm hoping and praying for the nothing at all option.
The other issue with poly, and the reasoning behind the early induction, is that due to the excess fluid the baby may not engage well and the cord can slip between the baby and the cervix, causing cord prolapse. This can be fatal for the baby and is an emergency requiring and immediate emergency c-section. That is why he wants me to have a controlled rupture of membranes, in hospital, to hopefully avoid prolapse or in the event to be in the right place. Abruption is another risk with poly as the uterus is overextended with the fluid. When that pressure is released with rom, the uterine walls kind of over deflate and can lead to separation of the placenta. Again, an emergency and potentially fatal for the baby and me as well. So I think the poly is the main reason behind inducing early.
3: baby girl is measuring big. Not normally a reason for inducing early, but with the extra fluid a bigger baby can mean increased chance of early labor. He doesn't want me to go in labor at home due to the above risks with the poly.
4: anxiety. He'd never induce early based solely on the fact that I am almost convinced this baby won't survive to term. But I think it played a role in when he chose to induce.
I am having a rough time lately with worry. I've been coping well, but when he had a hard time finding the baby's heartbeat the other day I had a panic attack on the bed. My pulse jumped to 130s and my blood pressure went through the roof. I was shaking and hyperventilating and basically having flash backs to the night we couldn't find Gabriel's heartbeat. Except that we never did find his. And those moments when he couldn't find hers were like my worst nightmare all over again.

So. I had to type all of that because I am feeling absurdly guilty about inducing early. I want her to stay inside me as long as she needs to. I actually want to go to 40 weeks. I feel sometimes that I'm being judged for allowing him to induce early. However, I just want her alive. And that's the bottom line. I want her here. Here where we can help her if she needs it. Here where I can see her and know if she's in trouble. Here where we can lay our hands on her to fix it if her heart stops. It all sounds so morbid, but it's true. Those are my daily thoughts. Just. Get. Her. Out.

My anxiety has been creeping up all week. Somehow I feel like we're not going to get to have her. Like now that we have a date to deliver, that's when it all goes sour. Like there's some external force somewhere just waiting to rip the rug out from under us. I alternate between worrying about her heart stopping, to worrying that the quad screen was wrong and she'll have a chromosomal defect, to worry that the poly is caused by some horrible un-fixable structural issue.
Tonight I spent an hour googling "false negatives on quad screen", hoping that the internet would calm my fears and tell me that false negatives are really rare and that I have nothing to worry about. Instead I found pages where dozens of women wrote that their quad screens were negative but their babies were born with trisomy 13,18 or 21. Not reassuring. At. All.
Poor DH has been starting every conversation about the baby with "if all goes well, this time next week she'll be here". If all goes well. If. Anyway, this has turned into a rambling journal entry that I really had no intention of writing. But I feel like I'm about to explode if I don't get it out. I know people think I'm a little nuts for having these feelings. But when you go through what we've gone through in the past couple of years. It's hard to just relax and believe that everything will be ok.

Last edited by Kim; April 19th, 2015 at 12:51 AM..
Old July 10th, 2015, 12:02 AM   #69
Kim
Beauty from Pain

I have to finish this before tmp shuts down posting.
Anna was born on April 23, weighing 8lb1oz. Perfect in every way. No reason seen for the polyhydramnios. She is 11 weeks old now and thriving. We are incredibly blessed to have her in our lives