Welcome to TMP's trying to conceive, pregnancy & parenting forums!
TTC & Pregnancy Tools: Ovulation Calculator | hCG Calculator | Due Date Calculator
The TMP Store

Preconception, Pregnancy, Parenting & You

Go Back   The Mommy Playbook > Everyday Woman > Living Naturally > Natural Recipes

Chicken Soup. - Natural Recipes

Old April 29th, 2009, 04:02 PM   #1
MountainMama
Soylent Green is people!

Member #: 661
Chicken Soup.

Quote:
Down through the ages, homemade chicken soup has been valued and appreciated for its soothing and healing qualities when it comes to colds and the flu. I decided to investigate what it is about chicken soup that makes the ailing patient feel better, so I reviewed several studies, including the pioneering work by Stephen Rennard, MD at the University of Nebraska. All the research agrees that chicken soup helps break up congestion and eases the flow of nasal secretions. Many say it also inhibits white blood cells that trigger the inflammatory response, causing sore throats and the production of phlegm. Chicken also contains an amino acid called cysteine that is released when you make the soup. This amino acid thins mucus in the lungs, aiding in the healing process.

When combined with nutrient rich veggies, homemade chicken soup can definitely help the healing process in those who fall prey to colds or the flu!
Chicken soup is really good for you. I make it about once a week. Here is my recipe.

2-3 chicken thighs or drumsticks
3-4 carrots
3-4 ribs of celery, incl. leaves at the top.
3 parsnips
1 onion
a handful of parsley chopped
3 cloves of garlic.
2 pieces of ginger about the size of your thumb.
A couple handfuls of alphabet pasta
1/2 cup frozen peas
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp of poultry seasoning
1 tsp turmeric (optional)

There are 2 steps to this soup. One to make the broth and one to make the soup.

Step 1.
Fill a large pot with water. Add 2 cloves of garlic, 1/2 onion (do not chop the onion), 1 piece of ginger and the chicken. Boil for an hour or so. Remove chicken and pick off the meat. (The meat isnt very good if its boiled all day) Set the meat aside and return the bones to the pot. Simmer for 6-8 hours. Add more water if too much evaporates. (You can use a slow cooker if you wont be home) Remove the bones and onion and garlic and ginger and discard

Step 2.
Now you should have a pot of broth only. Chop the remaining vegetables and add to the broth. Add the seasonings. You dont have to chop the ginger as you may want to remove it when the soup is done. Simmer about 30-45 min. During the last 10-15 min of cooking add the peas, pasta, and the chicken you set aside earlier.

One of my favorite comfort foods especially when I am under the weather.

MountainMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Please register or login to remove these ads.

Old April 29th, 2009, 11:24 PM   #2
White Star
Rockin with the TMP girl

Member #: 130
Yum. Soup. Too hot now.

White Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2009, 10:51 AM   #3
crash

Member #: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Star View Post
Yum. Soup. Too hot now.