Welcome to TMP's trying to conceive, pregnancy & parenting forums!
TTC & Pregnancy Tools: Ovulation Calculator | hCG Calculator | Due Date Calculator
The TMP Store

Preconception, Pregnancy, Parenting & You

Go Back   The Mommy Playbook > Parenting & Family Forums > The School Years

Newish & Question :) - The School Years

Old March 6th, 2013, 01:43 AM   #1
Ethansm0m

Member #: 19784
Newish & Question :)

Hi everyone I posted this in preschooler group but also thought Id post here also as hes kind of in the middle age wise I mainly use the April DDC forum and stalk a bunch of others but I have a 5 year old son named Ethan and Im Krystal, were expecting our princess soon and thought Id start checking out the preschool forum he doesn't start K until this August as he has a late birthday in Dec. I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you

I do want to start out by asking you all for some advice with my DS........he gets very upset and sometimes it seems like he's to mad to even calm down, he will go from bring ok and nice to being upset and mad just by something simple I tell him. We've tried taking away his toys, time out, no tv, throwing his toys away(not literally) and nothing seems to help. It seems this age is harder than any age 2 or 3 incident lol I'm just running out of options. 90% of the time he's a very good well mannered boy who listens and even seems to be calmer than other boys his age but when he's bad he's BAD! Any advice is appreciated......

Ethansm0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Please register or login to remove these ads.

Old March 14th, 2013, 08:06 AM   #2
Heatherw

Member #: 14543
Hi Krystal, I wish I had some advice for you. I'm kinda of in the same situation, My seven year old DD has been acting just like your son since she was five. Maybe it's an age thing ,I don't know, they seem more sensitive at this age though. A simple no can turn a smile in to tears with her. Plus I had my youngest when she was almost 5 and it seems like that is when it started especially after she arrived. Maybe he's starting to get a bit of that sibling jealousy, even though she's not here yet kwim. I wish I could help, I hope it's just a phase and can figure out why he's acting like he is.

Heatherw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2013, 08:51 PM   #3
crash

Member #: 121
Sounds like your consistent with negative reinforcement which is great but maybe he needs some positive reinforcers. The best one is 10 minutes of in time with mom!

Give him some outlets for his anger. Acceptable ways to handle it.

Start small, tell him

All morning i need you to only use x (screaming at your pillow) for any anger you feel and then talk to me about how you are feeling. We'll celebrate with _________ after lunch. Eventually he won't need the reinforcement :-)

My son went through a lot of rage last year this is what the pediatric psych recommended.

crash is offline   Reply With Quote