Welcome to TMP's trying to conceive, pregnancy & parenting forums!
TTC & Pregnancy Tools: Ovulation Calculator | hCG Calculator | Due Date Calculator
The TMP Store

Preconception, Pregnancy, Parenting & You

Go Back   The Mommy Playbook > Parenting & Family Forums > The School Years

Monster High? - The School Years

Old November 13th, 2012, 08:35 PM   #1
KrisNotChris
It's a BOY!!

Member #: 20894
My 6 year old DD has been begging me lately to buy her the Monster High DVDs (as well as toys, clothes, and accessories), because all her friends have them.

I checked www.commonsensemedia.org (which I tend to trust for most movies and tv shows I let her watch), which says the show is not generally recommended for children under 7 or 8.

My daughter is very easily influenced by what she watches, and I worry that the way the girls dress might be a little too... exposed... for her.

Am I being too overprotective? Has anyone else let their younger girls watch them? How did it turn out?

KrisNotChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Please register or login to remove these ads.

Old November 16th, 2012, 08:49 AM   #2
Heatherw

Member #: 14543
I have a 7 yr old. She is a HUGE monster high fan. We have the dolls, and we watch the movies. I've never had DD tell me she wants to dress like them(besides Halloween she was thinking of being Clawdeen). I dont think the clothing is nothing that they haven't already been exposed too elsewhere. KWIM. In the movies I thought the dolls were pretty well covered up. leggings and tight clothing and a few are wearing short skirts. I honestly dont see anything wrong with it, I say let her. Plus she's young to where you are buying her clothes and have a say in what she wears.

Heatherw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2012, 02:34 PM   #3
Mommytogirls

Member #: 18920
My daughter is 8. She loves Monster High. I don't see any problem with it. She has the dolls, watch's the show's and I'm even getting her monster high stuff for Christmas.

Mommytogirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2012, 02:20 AM   #4
pamplemousse
♥ Byron's mommy ♥

Member #: 2393
Urgh, they look like Bratz mixed with Avril Lavigne

pamplemousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2013, 01:41 AM   #5
shan1985

Member #: 23090
I personally don't like my girls watching those movies or having the dolls I tell my family not to buy them any if that stuff. Their clothes are to revealing. I use to be OK with it until I found my kids trying to dress like them

shan1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2013, 06:39 PM   #6
XxLisaxX
*Baby Fever*

Member #: 1305
Looks like I have some research to do! I have no clue what monster High is lmao

XxLisaxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2013, 09:07 AM   #7
chels

Member #: 18268
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxLisaxX
Looks like I have some research to do! I have no clue what monster High is lmao
Just popping in. I've watched it a couple times with my sd. Sd is 6, and I really didn't see anything wrong with it. On a guess, I'm pretty sure we watched worse shows than that growing up-I.e.-roadrunner. Or even Buggs bunny lol. Our cartoons were of characters shooting each other and trying to kill each other. Talk about violent lol. But you know, I think most of us turned out ok , and I don't remember once trying to copy those shows

I think as long as she knows cartoons aren't real then you should be fine

chels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2013, 10:41 PM   #8
lilytang114

Member #: 23168
My daughter is 8 and she watches Monster High. Luckily my daughter is very understanding and mature for her age so she doesn't get too sucked in or influenced by it.

lilytang114 is offline   Reply With Quote