Welcome to TMP's trying to conceive, pregnancy & parenting forums!
TTC & Pregnancy Tools: Ovulation Calculator | hCG Calculator | Due Date Calculator
The TMP Store

Preconception, Pregnancy, Parenting & You

Go Back   The Mommy Playbook > Parenting & Family Forums > The School Years

Not reading in kindergarten - The School Years

Old September 3rd, 2012, 09:44 PM   #1
Tina
formerly known as dugntna

Member #: 159
Not reading in kindergarten

We were told at back to school night that our children won't learn to read in kindergarten that they focus more on that in first grade. We are going to start Aliyah at home. Had anyone else heard that from their teachers? Austin was reading in kindergarten.

Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Please register or login to remove these ads.

Old September 3rd, 2012, 10:08 PM   #2
Misty
Administrator

Member #: 53
Interesting! The kids go to a charter school that is supposed to be ahead, but a friend said her daughter didn't learn to read in kindergarten last year here. I was shocked. I haven't asked the teacher yet, but I will at our conference.

Ethan was reading in K, too, and I slacked off on teaching Emily so she wouldn't be bored in school like Ethan was! Her homework makes it seem like she already should be reading . . . Write a sentence, take notes and draw a map, read a recipe, etc.

I am going to work with her at home, too. Ethan loves reading, and I want Emily to have that same love for books!

Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2012, 10:10 PM   #3
Tina
formerly known as dugntna

Member #: 159
I was very surprised when we were told that. I just don't understand it. I guess we just start reading at home.

Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2012, 09:49 AM   #4
dahlish

Member #: 11828
Our Kindergarten starts teaching reading and our teacher was actually surprised to learn that Jax already knows how! But I have heard from other parents in town here that some schools teach reading in Kindergarten while others wait until 1st grade.

dahlish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2012, 11:55 AM   #5
Leasel
Leilani & Brendan's Mommy

Member #: 133
The school systems in Virginia are pretty aggressive about this, so yes, they will be teaching the kids how to read in kindergarten.

Leilani's teacher sent home some information including a list of the criteria for promotion to first grade:

1. Mastery of all 26 (upper and lower case) letters and sounds.
2. Identification of 100+ sight words.
3. Reading and writing simple sentences. (I can see the dog.)
4. Write first and last name, letters, and numbers.
5. Recognition and knowledge of numbers 0-30.
6. Count aloud to 100 by 1's, 5's, and 10's.
7. Add and subtract numbers to 10.

Back in my day this was more like 1st grade work, except for the part where they are learning letters and sounds.

Leasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2012, 12:44 AM   #6
crash

Member #: 121
we don't even learn letters or sounds in our kindergarten

There are no written words in his classroom, even their cubbies are without their names, they are instead given a symbol at the beginning of the year. Thor is the star =)

He has zero interest in sounding out words anyways, so its nice it won't be something for us to fight over night after night getting him to hate it

I have a feeling he'll figure out reading on his own this year or next. Honestly I think he already can but isn't telling. He's one of those kids if you ask him to count how many cookies he has he won't do it, but if you say how many do you have he'll give you the exact number without hesitation without counting out loud. He is very against "showing his work"

He is reading things all the time and then will quickly say oh I just remember it.

crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2012, 08:29 AM   #7
Heather
Peeking in

Member #: 11118
I guess it could be different for each regional area. Here, they start learning in Kindergarten and they are supposed to have a good grasp at it before they can go to 1st grade.

I wish I had advice on teaching your kid at home but DD never wanted to learn through us but she picked it up very quickly at school.

I guess I wouldn't really be worried if they didn't start until 1st grade. That's when I started learning and I'm a very good reader with a pretty large vocabulary when I want to have one

Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2012, 11:16 AM   #8
Simply Sarah
Becoming a better me <3

Member #: 396
That kind-of surprises me too. I wonder if somehow they incorporate it into the curriculum in different ways? Like, I know in pre-k, Andrew's teacher will read the message of the day, which is on a big easel, and she shines a flashlight on each word as she reads it. Andrew mimicked this at home and took his flashlight and read two words to me that were on something. I can't remember what it was now . . .

Simply Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote