Welcome to TMP's trying to conceive, pregnancy & parenting forums!
TTC & Pregnancy Tools: Ovulation Calculator | hCG Calculator | Due Date Calculator
The TMP Store

Preconception, Pregnancy, Parenting & You

Go Back   The Mommy Playbook > Parenting & Family Forums > The School Years

Pocket money - The School Years

Old September 4th, 2013, 10:04 AM   #1
tamcoef

Member #: 24058
Pocket money

Hi Ladies,

I have a 6yr old (soon to be 7 year old) boy and I'm thinking about starting to give him pocket money based on him doing certain chores around the house.
I can't remember how old I was when I started doing chores but there seems to be more and more little things that's he has become interested in
ie,
Magazines, card collections, jokes etc

Anyone with kids this age give pocket money? Is it too soon?! What sort of chores would you suggest?? :|

I'm wanting him to understand money rather than Slave driving him to cleaning! :-)

tamcoef is offline   Reply With Quote
Please register or login to remove these ads.

Old September 9th, 2013, 06:15 PM   #2
Heatherw

Member #: 14543
Chores didn't work well with us, she didn't care if she had money to spend. I don't think it's too soon at all. I'd start with cleaning room, folding his clothes to put in his drawers, setting the table at dinner, my girls love vacuuming it's easy for them to do.

Heatherw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2013, 10:01 AM   #3
September
Mama 2 Five

Member #: 6131
My kids don't get money for doing chores around the house. In our family we're a family unit and every pitches in together.

We do give them money here and there for other reasons though for them to save or spend as they wish.

September is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2013, 12:27 PM   #4
CrazyBeautiful
Missing my angel Cameron

Member #: 1541
We don't give money for chores either but he does get money for his piggy bank

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using TMP Forums

CrazyBeautiful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2013, 06:26 PM   #5
Fayth
Lead Guide
a ninja of love

Member #: 732
We give money for extra chores, but it's not really a regular thing yet. My 7 year old does have pocket money though.

We "control" it by making him think overnight for anything he chooses to buy.

Fayth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2013, 02:24 PM   #6
XxLisaxX
*Baby Fever*

Member #: 1305
We also don't give money for chores. Everybody has a job to do in the house and they should have to do it regardless if they are being paid or not. I pay for them to play hockey, soccer, figure skating, dance, school trips, pizza day every Friday, book orders at school, and the list goes on and on. They need to understand that even though they may not physically 'See' the money, a lot of money goes into their daily lives and they should have to clean their room, clear the table, vacuum, etc etc It's common courtasy and respectful of their parents. Thats what we teach.

Now in saying that. My son 'earns' his money in other ways. He does lemonade stands at the end of our driveway on weekends. Usually makes about $10-15. He will do this every Saturday and Sunday all summer. He will then save all the money and go buy something he's had his eye on for a while.

He will help neighbors with yard work and they usually give him $2-5 depending on how long he stayed and the labour he completed. He's 7. He decided to go out and start doing this stuff on his own and I think that is teaching him more then me handing him money for doing things around the house that he should have been doing regardless.

XxLisaxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2013, 11:40 AM   #7
sondra_mama
Baby D due 7.7.14!!!

Member #: 10546
my kids get $1 / week. If they do their chores every day. if they skip a day, then they don't get their $$ for the week. too bad! lol.
anyways, both are 7. they have to make their bed and clean their room. i want to tack on a daily chore now. like, "dusting", "sweeping", "taking out the trash", etc. each day, just one task. then, eventually have 2 tasks a day on top of their room.
Chayden is very organized and saves his $$ for legos. LOL. Amarie, she does NOT care. she never does her chores. =/
they get all their $$ placed in their piggy bank. and when its time to buy at school or at the store, i will give them what they need.

sondra_mama is offline   Reply With Quote