Welcome to TMP's trying to conceive, pregnancy & parenting forums!
TTC & Pregnancy Tools: Ovulation Calculator | hCG Calculator | Due Date Calculator
The TMP Store

Preconception, Pregnancy, Parenting & You

Go Back   The Mommy Playbook > Nutrition, Diapering and More > Breastfeeding Support > Breastfeeding Problems - Help and Support

New Mommy needs advice - Breastfeeding Problems - Help and Support

Old January 27th, 2014, 09:09 AM   #9
Lindsay

Member #: 9094
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC0414 View Post
No a shield was never used. How do they work?
It's placed over your nipple and feels more like a bottle or pacifier.

What suggestions did the LC have?

Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Please register or login to remove these ads.

Old January 27th, 2014, 11:50 AM   #10
MKmom

Member #: 26002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKmom View Post
Lindsay, I have never head before about swirling vs. shaking milk. Why is that? Thank you,
Shaking breaks up the good stuff in the milk just like microwaving, swirling doesn't bc its gentler
Thank you. You learn something new every day.

MKmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2014, 06:56 AM   #11
MC0414

Member #: 22637
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC0414 View Post
No a shield was never used. How do they work?
It's placed over your nipple and feels more like a bottle or pacifier.

What suggestions did the LC have?
To basically just keep trying and not get discouraged. I've even pumped a little to get the milk flowing and to enlarge the nipple and she still doesn't want to suckle...loves to snuggle though. I'll take the snuggles as long as it still producing she is getting the best either way. Plus I like that DH and other family members can feed her. DH fed her while I pumped this morning.

MC0414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2014, 07:28 AM   #12
Lindsay

I would find a different LC that could actually provide advice

Old January 28th, 2014, 08:33 AM   #13
MC0414

That's what I was thinking. This was the last at the hospital and she really did just rub me the wrong way...to the point DH could tell I didn't like and/or feel comfortable with her.

I have been pumping every two hours I did have two three hour pump as one occurred while I was at the dr with LO. Well I took my pump, but left my horns at home. Then the other was because I was just so exhausted because LO had her feeding then an hour later woke up and wanted more. At that point my extras got depleted, but now I am one ahead again and currently pumping, but I will be feeding again in an hour or so. She must be hitting an early two week growth spurt or something because she woke me up every two hours to feed three times last night and normally she will start showing she is hungry right at three hours.

Last edited by MC0414; January 28th, 2014 at 08:41 AM..
Old January 28th, 2014, 05:22 PM   #14
MC0414

Heart

OMG Lindsay thank you so much for the advice on the breast shields. I got some today and my baby girl latched and suckled for 12 mins and pretty much emptied my left breast! She got sleepy so I pumped both breasts!!!

Old January 28th, 2014, 05:36 PM   #15
Lindsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC0414
OMG Lindsay thank you so much for the advice on the breast shields. I got some today and my baby girl latched and suckled for 12 mins and pretty much emptied my left breast! She got sleepy so I pumped both breasts!!!
YAY! I will say, they CAN decrease supply bc there is a possibility of reduced milk transfer, but I your case, I think it can only help get her back to the breast. They can be a pain to wean from. But it ca be done. Also, make sure you have e when you go out!

Old January 29th, 2014, 09:26 AM   #16
MC0414

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC0414
YAY! I will say, they CAN decrease supply bc there is a possibility of reduced milk transfer, but I your case, I think it can only help get her back to the breast. They can be a pain to wean from. But it ca be done. Also, make sure you have e when you go out!
I've tried to get her to latch without and she still won't. I honestly think my nipple is too "soft" for her. It's ok if I have to pack them and the pump and bottles with me wherever I go she is getting the best!! I'd do anything for this baby girl!!

Tags
advice, mommy