Welcome to TMP's trying to conceive, pregnancy & parenting forums!
TTC & Pregnancy Tools: Ovulation Calculator | hCG Calculator | Due Date Calculator
The TMP Store

Preconception, Pregnancy, Parenting & You

Go Back   The Mommy Playbook > Nutrition, Diapering and More > Breastfeeding Support > Breastfeeding Problems - Help and Support

New Mommy needs advice - Breastfeeding Problems - Help and Support

Old January 27th, 2014, 06:55 AM   #1
MC0414

Member #: 22637
New Mommy needs advice

Hello ladies,

I had my baby girl on 1/19/14. She was 5 weeks premature. I wanted to breast feed so bad and I am getting to, but with some help. In the hospital stay she lost like 2.5oz the first night so they had me supplement with formula. I was upset, but I knew I needed to do what was best for my baby especially since she was a premie. Well I immediately got a pump brought to my room so I could pump and it helped me get a supply. Baby is a lazy eater and doesn't suckle well at all. She'd rather latch and cuddle than latch and suckle. So anyways to my point...I am happily pumping and bottle feeding my LO. She is one week one day today. I am pumping every 2-3 hours for 20 mins at a time and I am consistently getting a little less than 1 oz out of my left breast and 1oz out of my right breast. What are some tips/tricks to get my supply up. I want to start stock piling my milk so when I go back to work she will have plenty. I will continue to pump while working too. Also, how long does Brest milk keep in refrigerator and in freezer? Thanks in advance for the help!!

MC0414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please register or login to remove these ads.

Old January 27th, 2014, 07:21 AM   #2
Lindsay

Member #: 9094
Is your plan to get her to nurse or are you going to exclusively pump?

Her belly is still tiny, so about two ounces should be plenty for her at this point. I wouldnt consider that low supply.

The easiest way to increase supply is to pump more frequently and for longer. Pump every two hours instead of 2-3, and don't watch the click, watch the pump. Stop pumping a few minutes AFTER the last drops.

Back of the fridge--6 to 7 days
Back of freezer, about 6 months
Chest freezer, a year

And remember that you don't want to shake your milk, just swirl it.

Good Luck

Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2014, 07:55 AM   #3
gouldie

Member #: 5706
My almost four month old is taking two ounces every two or so hours so I would say you're doing just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using TMP Forums

gouldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2014, 07:55 AM   #4
MC0414

Lindsay thank you so much for the advise. I am glad I am not experiencing a major supply issue. I will definitely try the every two hours and just until milk flow stops. Maybe I have been pumping too long? Is that possible? I would love to feed on the breast, but I am open to just bottle feeding. It's the milk I want her to get. I still do skin to skin contact with her even if she doesn't latch.

Old January 27th, 2014, 08:27 AM   #5
Lindsay

Did the LC have you try a shield in the hospital? They are a pain, but since she's used to bottles, that could help.

I have other thoughts but i don't know enough about preemies

Old January 27th, 2014, 08:34 AM   #6
MKmom

Member #: 26002
Lindsay, I have never head before about swirling vs. shaking milk. Why is that? Thank you,

MKmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2014, 09:05 AM   #7
MC0414

No a shield was never used. How do they work?

Old January 27th, 2014, 09:09 AM   #8
Lindsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKmom View Post
Lindsay, I have never head before about swirling vs. shaking milk. Why is that? Thank you,
Shaking breaks up the good stuff in the milk just like microwaving, swirling doesn't bc its gentler

Tags
advice, mommy