Welcome to TMP's trying to conceive, pregnancy & parenting forums!
TTC & Pregnancy Tools: Ovulation Calculator | hCG Calculator | Due Date Calculator
The TMP Store

Preconception, Pregnancy, Parenting & You

Go Back   The Mommy Playbook > Nutrition, Diapering and More > Breastfeeding Support > Breastfeeding Problems - Help and Support

trouble feeding need advice - Breastfeeding Problems - Help and Support

Old July 26th, 2012, 08:37 PM   #1
Melbino

Member #: 19729
trouble feeding need advice

My daughter is 4 months old and 2 days old. In the hospital I exclusively breastfed. I wanted nothing different. Everything went well. She was a natural and it seemed to come natural to me. She came home jaundice and had to have the bili light. As my milk hadn't come in fully the doctor told me to supplement after feeding with a small amount of formula to "top" her off, and it also would help with the jaundice as breastfed babies are more likely to have it. I unwillingly did wanting what was best for my baby. Once the formula was in the house my husband would use it while I was sleeping thinking he was doing me a favor by not waking me. This upset me. I've tried pumping and I get maybe 2 oz from one breast and 1/2 oz to an ounce from the other. She wants about 4oz per feeding now I think from having larger feeding from the formula. I don't have that much and she gets irritated and un latches, even screams while feeding. I can't figure out what to do. I do not want to resort to formula ill feel like a failure but, its seeming to be my only option as its getting worse and worse. She doesn't have latching problems just seems as though she's not satisfied with it at all wants nothing to do with it and now prefers formula. What can I do? Any suggestions?

Melbino is offline   Reply With Quote
Please register or login to remove these ads.

Old July 27th, 2012, 10:52 AM   #2
September
Mama 2 Five

Member #: 6131
It's a vicious cycle. If you want out of it you need to stop the formula completely and begin putting her to breast around the clock.

Some women, a lot of women, do not respond well to the pump. Don't judge your supply by what you are or are not pumping.

If there is truly a supply issue due to all the supplementation, the only way to fix that is putting her to breast around the clock. There could be a few other reasons why she screams while nursing that could be unrelated to supply.

You need to see a LC ASAP.

September is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2012, 12:02 PM   #3
RabbitMama85

Member #: 12297
I agree with all of the above. talk to a LC and stop supplementing

RabbitMama85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2012, 12:07 PM   #4
chels402
RN Extraordinaire!!

Member #: 15723
What the above ladies have said. The only way to increase your supply is to put baby to the breast often. Also, I had some success with fenugreek and Organic Mother's Milk Tea.

chels402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2012, 02:42 PM   #5
Melbino

Member #: 19729
Thanks ladies.. I've been in contact regularly with a lactation consultant who has become a good friend throughout this process. She also suggested around the clock feedings. Which is what I ultimately did try, same problem. She said she wasn't sure what the problem was, but had given me lots of encouragement and tons of advice. I think its more frustrating than anything. I don't want to be stressed while trying to feed and dread feeding times. She is a VERY fussy baby to begin with I think that coupled with the feeding issue is just making it hard. I'm also going to try the mothers milk to see if that could help before I even think about giving up. Gosh just saying giving up hurts I'm typically not the type for that. I need to suck it up and try absolutely everything..

Melbino is offline   Reply With Quote