Welcome to TMP's trying to conceive, pregnancy & parenting forums!
TTC & Pregnancy Tools: Ovulation Calculator | hCG Calculator | Due Date Calculator
The TMP Store

Preconception, Pregnancy, Parenting & You

Go Back   The Mommy Playbook > Nutrition, Diapering and More > Breastfeeding Support > Breastfeeding Problems - Help and Support

Latch causing cracking - Breastfeeding Problems - Help and Support

Old November 2nd, 2010, 07:13 PM   #1
CalamityJane

Member #: 11181
Latch causing cracking

Hi, DS is almost 6 weeks old and I love breastfeeding, except for the pain. I've been to lactation several times and I though we were getting better at bf'ing. I'm not hurting nearly as much. So I have a small issue... here are the details.

1) I am using Dr Newman's APNO (it helps some) for healing
2) DS has a major tongue thrust issue, which I'm working to correct
3) I have an over abundant supply.

Okay, I get a crack on my right side. That's the side he has the nost latch trouble on. Any ideas how to work through this?

CalamityJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Please register or login to remove these ads.

Old November 2nd, 2010, 07:38 PM   #2
MountainMama
Soylent Green is people!

Member #: 661
Thats tough. The problem should resolve with time. If he is having troubles with latching, have a look at the baby led latch sticky and see if baby led latch can help.

Make sure the wound always has lanolin on it and dont let it dry out. That will encourage the fastest healing. Its called moist wound healing. If it dries out to form a scab, it may take a little longer to heal.

If baby led latch doesnt work, make sure the baby is opening his mouth nice and wide before you put him on. Also dont be afraid to keep him snug against the breast. He may be sliding off as he feeds, which will cause discomfort.

MountainMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2010, 04:08 PM   #3
CalamityJane

Went back to lactation yesterday to see the "veteran" consultant. She discovered that I have several issues. 1, breast isn't emptying all the way, which is causing lots of tissue pain. 2, I do NOT have a systemic yeast problem (hurray). 3, I've developed Renaud's as a result of the damage.

She showed me more latching, still playing with it. Using the Newman's ointment still and now taking lots of calcium and magnesium, plus vitamin d3 for the Renaud's, which she says will go away eventually. Gonna go back next week and fine tune the latching.

Also, baby has some reflux so he's latching badly when I put him on his left side, which explains the nipple damage. Trying to only latch on his right side.

Old November 7th, 2010, 11:58 PM   #4
MountainMama
Soylent Green is people!

Member #: 661
Well i guess you would have to do cradle hold for one breast and football hold for the other. Whatever works right. I am glad you have some help to figure all this out.

MountainMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2010, 01:16 PM   #5
CalamityJane

Me too, I think when I'm done I might wind up getting certified to do lactation. I'm learning a lot. For starters I've always had Renaud's and never known it. Now I'm treating it and working on latch. Things are getting better.

Old November 8th, 2010, 01:18 PM   #6
peet
love my gauslings

Member #: 11263
Try putting breast milk on the crack too! Sounds weird. But there are a lot of healing properties in breast milk.

peet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2010, 01:21 PM   #7
CalamityJane

Thank you, yes and I found out its not possible to have systemic yeast in the milk ducts while breastfeeding because yeast can't survive in breast milk. Who knew?

Tags
causing, cracking, latch