Welcome to TMP's trying to conceive, pregnancy & parenting forums!
TTC & Pregnancy Tools: Ovulation Calculator | hCG Calculator | Due Date Calculator
The TMP Store

Preconception, Pregnancy, Parenting & You

Go Back   The Mommy Playbook > Nutrition, Diapering and More > Breastfeeding Support > Breastfeeding Problems - Help and Support

New Mommy needs advice - Breastfeeding Problems - Help and Support

Old January 29th, 2014, 09:36 AM   #17
Lindsay

Member #: 9094
Do you happen to have flat nipples?

I did with ny first and used a shield for about 3 months. By then pumping and nursing broke down the tissue enough so they were no longer flat and she would latch

Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Please register or login to remove these ads.

Old January 30th, 2014, 02:24 AM   #18
RabbitMama85

Member #: 12297
Another idea for when you are supplementing is to use a SNS http://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com...ing-system-sns

It's basically a little tube that you would hold against your nipple while baby "nursed" and they get the extra milk they need from the tubes, but it allows for you to have natural nipple stimulation, baby learns to get comfortable with that spot (smell, touch, way being held), and obviously all the amazing benefits of skin to skin. I don't think it would be a good portable option, but if baby isn't nursing and you need to get baby to eat when you are home, its another way to encourage nursing at the breast, plus it will only help your supply. Talk to your LC about it if you are still in contact and see if she thinks it would benefit you.

RabbitMama85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 09:02 AM   #19
MC0414

Member #: 22637
Danielle. I used that I. The hospital and that's what started all the problems!!

Back to my nipple shields...she has officially stated sucking so hard on the shields that is so painful for me that I am exclusively pumping for her...she is still getting the goods and that's what matters. And no Lindsay I don't have flat nipples...I really just believe that being out on the bottle at 1 day old just really deterred her from the softness of my nipple. I want to keep trying but I feel so bad because the poor baby gets so upset because she is hungry and does not get instant satisfaction from the breast! I've even tried starting early so she not so hungry just to see if we can get a latch and it's been unsuccessful. For now pumping is working for us and I am going to continue this route. I have increased to 30 minute (or close to that) pumps and have been getting a pretty good supply. I am currently on my second 24 hrs of strictly pumping. Yesterday I pumped 19.26 oz which is less than the recommended production for me being two weeks PP but it's better than nothing...and she isn't acting like she's not getting enough to eat. I will see what today shows. I have my dr appt tomorrow and will ask my dr at that time if I need to be taking any supplements to help my production.

MC0414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 09:25 AM   #20
Lindsay

Member #: 9094
The average breastfed baby, AFTER four weeks old takes in about 19-30 oz per day.

Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 05:30 PM   #21
MC0414

Member #: 22637
Well that makes me feel good!! I should defiantly have that supply by 4 weeks. She's 2 weeks today!!

MC0414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2014, 05:42 PM   #22
mommynature

Member #: 26405
When I first started breastfeeding I had trouble getting my milk supply up so I took a brewers yeast vitamin twice daily and it really helped me out.

mommynature is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, mommy