Welcome to TMP's trying to conceive, pregnancy & parenting forums!
TTC & Pregnancy Tools: Ovulation Calculator | hCG Calculator | Due Date Calculator
The TMP Store

Preconception, Pregnancy, Parenting & You

Go Back   The Mommy Playbook > Nutrition, Diapering and More > Breastfeeding Support > Breastfeeding Problems - Help and Support

latching problem - Breastfeeding Problems - Help and Support

Old December 19th, 2012, 01:41 AM   #1
stardon22

Member #: 13867
latching problem

Kathryn will not latch. And if she does only sucks TWO times and that's it. She begins to fight and scream. HELP!!

stardon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please register or login to remove these ads.

Old December 19th, 2012, 06:54 AM   #2
pixxie
loving my baby!!

Member #: 14787
Have you tried using a nipple shield. I bought mine at Target and it was so helpful to at least get her to eat while we gradually worked on her latch.

pixxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 07:41 AM   #3
stardon22

Member #: 13867
I have one. But she mainly sucks on the tip. I'm so lost =(

stardon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 08:00 AM   #4
MrslovesMr

Member #: 11927
How old is LO...honestly it's just so hard in the beginning, it takes time for both of you to figure it out and LO is probably tired all the time...keep working at it and it will come together. If your really worried then I suggest seeing a LCD, they really help with latching on and stuff.

MrslovesMr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 09:04 AM   #5
Dante

Member #: 7104
Honestly it is so difficult in the beginning. A poor latch and only nursing for a few mins could be a number of things and some of them easy to fix! Can you get to a lactation consultant so she can troubleshoot what is going on with your little one? Lots of times they have them in hospitals. Or you can do a quick search to find a LLL mtg. They are super awesome and will offer more support to you than you have ever dreamed of truly.

Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 10:41 AM   #6
pixxie
loving my baby!!

Member #: 14787
I agree with the other ladies about getting a certified LC to help, or at lease contact your LLL right away. It's hard for me to know exactly what the problem is without seeing it. Did you try a different hold? The football hold, using the nipple shield, was the only latch/position we could use in the beginning. Good luck and hang in there mama - you're doing great!

pixxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 11:03 AM   #7
Tiffer

Member #: 18319
My lo had the same problem a few weeks ago when he was about 2.5 weeks. He basically went on a nursing strike for 24 hours. We tried for hours on end with no success. I ended up giving him pumped milk in a bottle. I had to feed him somehow! I did go see an LC a few days later and it was very helpful. But the day after the strike he was nursing ok. Just keep trying and make an appointment with an LC. Even a phone consult made me feel better during the strike. I really think that nursing is the most challenging aspect of having an newborn. Hugs and good luck!!

Tiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2012, 01:24 AM   #8
RabbitMama85

Member #: 12297
Definitely get some help! LLL or Breastfeeding USA will help for free, but I know some people that swear that an LC saved their nursing relationship. At this point in time, any artificial nipple will just make the nursing relationship more complicated since bottles are easier.

Its always tough in the beginning, just make some reachable goals (until Xmas, then until the new year...) for now and work your way to bigger ones.

RabbitMama85 is offline   Reply With Quote