Welcome to TMP's trying to conceive, pregnancy & parenting forums!
TTC & Pregnancy Tools: Ovulation Calculator | hCG Calculator | Due Date Calculator
The TMP Store

Preconception, Pregnancy, Parenting & You

Go Back   The Mommy Playbook > Nutrition, Diapering and More > Breastfeeding Support > Breastfeeding Problems - Help and Support

HELP! - Breastfeeding Problems - Help and Support

Old April 21st, 2012, 01:10 PM   #1
LuckyMommy

Member #: 12388
Sad HELP!

I was exlusively pumping for 4 weeks now, made a ton of milk. Every 3 hrs I would pump 4oz from each breast. Over the last week I have been gradually trying to let my milk dry up. I would space out the pump sessions an extra hour for a few days, then another hour apart and so on. Also I was not emptying my breasts completely. I would leave only pump 3 oz instead of the full 4.

Yesterday they came to pick up my pump, now I have only a manual one. It's not as effective pumping though. My right breast is "full" but not painful at all. Just heavy. The left breast 1/2 of it is completely red and hard. I tried to manually express milk last night with massage and hot compresses and was unable to get ANYTHING out. Today I have tried pumping for 45 mins to try to relieve the pain and again I can barely get anything out in 45 mins which is totally not normal for me pumping (I could empty a breast in 15 mins usually)

I feel achey, tired, shivering (it's 90 degrees here) and have a headache.

Any suggestions what I can do with my left breast? I want my milk to dry up, but this is just ridiculous and so painful now and frustrating since I am trying to so hard to express the milk and I can't get it out

LuckyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Please register or login to remove these ads.

Old April 21st, 2012, 03:49 PM   #2
RabbitMama85

Member #: 12297
Are you trying to completely dry out? No milk for baby at all? or are you trying to just level your supply for on demand?

RabbitMama85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2012, 04:37 PM   #3
Lindsay

Member #: 9094
THe shivering screams fever to me...and the redness with the fever says mastitis to a nonmedical professional. When can you get in to see your doctor??

Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2012, 01:54 PM   #4
LuckyMommy

I was trying to let myself dry up completely. And I have been taking my temperature like crazy and I haven't had any kind of fever. The only thing I can think of is maybe my horomones are all whacky from PP and stopping BFing. I was able to manually express a few drops here and there and I have been trying to massage the red area to get it to soften and hopefully come out. It isn't AS red as it was, and it isn't as hard as it was either so I think it's working slowly but surely. I just wish it would go away already!!

Old April 22nd, 2012, 05:42 PM   #5
Lindsay

Member #: 9094
Here is a list of symptoms: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/mas...CTION=symptoms

I will say that I had two occassions, PP, where my hormones had effected my temperature. On two occassions, I woke up very warm, got up to go to the bathroom, and instantly got cold. By cold I mean my body hurt because I was sivering so much and the only way I could get warm was if DH was practically laying on top of me to share body heat. It was unbelievable. I was actually sore fo ra few days after because I got so tense while shivering!

Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 10:04 AM   #6
LuckyMommy

I emailed my Dr. and some random office person called me back. I explained everything and her response was dont touch the breasts at all and I have to bind them to get them to stop making milk.

This doesn't sound right to me. And binding your breasts when they are super engorged hurts just to think about it. Everything I read online says binding will increase risk of mastitis and infection.

What's your opinion?? Should I bind like she said? I really don't want to. It sounds like a totally incorrect solution to me.

Old April 24th, 2012, 10:15 AM   #7
Leandra

Member #: 11815
A firm bra will bind them. I have. Bound and done sudafed to help dry up before.

Leandra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
help!