Welcome to TMP's trying to conceive, pregnancy & parenting forums!
TTC & Pregnancy Tools: Ovulation Calculator | hCG Calculator | Due Date Calculator
The TMP Store

Preconception, Pregnancy, Parenting & You

Go Back   The Mommy Playbook > Pregnancy Forums > Pregnancy Chat > Special Pregnancies

Low progesterone and supplements HELP :( - Special Pregnancies

Old March 24th, 2010, 09:01 PM   #1
flosskat
flosskat

Member #: 11219
Crying Low progesterone and supplements HELP :(

Hello all, I have my first prenatal appointment tomorrow, but my blood work has already been drawn. I am dated at 6 weeks via ultrasound on tuesday. My doctor called today to tell me my progesterone is 9.6 and he would like it at 11.2 or higher for the first trimester. He would like me to use Prometrium progesterone suppositories at bedtime for several weeks to help raise them. Has anyone had experience with progesterone supplements? I know they are controversial because the medical field is unsure if low progesterone "causes" miscarriages, or if the progesterone is purposely low and uterine lining not created because the body knows the pregnancy will be lost due to other reasons. My HCG levels are 17,203, which my doctor was happy with. I also had very little dark brown spotting last night with no pain that subsided as quickly as it began and the hospital said my cervix was closed and diagnosed me with "threatened miscarriage"............. This is our first pregnancy and I am very nervous......... any advice? thoughts?

flosskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Please register or login to remove these ads.

Old March 24th, 2010, 09:04 PM   #2
1blessedmomma
Thankful for my blessings

Member #: 341
First welcome!! I know a lot of the ladies here have been on the supplements and are now in there 12-14 weeks of pregnancy! I would definitely take them because they do help!! Sometimes Dr.s use the m/c terminology but a lot of the time it is just because of the spotting. Try to stay positive! You are in a great place for support!!

1blessedmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 09:08 PM   #3
Gabriella'sMommy1109
Loving Mommyhood :)

Member #: 5898
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashandbrons View Post
First welcome!! I know a lot of the ladies here have been on the supplements and are now in there 12-14 weeks of pregnancy! I would definitely take them because they do help!! Sometimes Dr.s use the m/c terminology but a lot of the time it is just because of the spotting. Try to stay positive! You are in a great place for support!!
Absolutely. Many of times they use that term because of the spotting. I hope everything goes well. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Gabriella'sMommy1109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 09:48 PM   #4
flosskat
flosskat

Thanks. It's nice to know people have had success stories with the supplements. I just started them tonight and I am 6 weeks today. I appreciate all the support. If you know any of the ladies with the experience, please send them my way!

Old March 24th, 2010, 11:20 PM   #5
oicu814me2
Mama Sandy

Member #: 3023
I took the suppositories with this pregnancy and my last and they definitely helped. My progesterone at only 4 weeks this time was only 9.3. Never had a repeat draw but had my 12 weeks u/s last week and baby is moving and looks great and I am DONE with the suppositories now. I say definitely take them because they won't hurt anything so it's worth it to me. I also had a loss at 9 weeks that is presumed was caused by low progesterone before the pregnancies I supplimented. Good luck

oicu814me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2010, 01:38 PM   #6
flosskat
flosskat

I just had my first prenatal appointment today and it looks as though everything is doing well with my cervix and no more spotting. It was only that one time. She seemed very hopefully about the progesterone working and I am scheduled for a followup ultrasound in 2 weeks due to the spotting. They are not planning on retesting my progesterone. Hopefully all is well. I am leaving for a vacation out of the country for 10 days starting tomorrow and definitely don't want something to happen outside the USA. Anyone else who still has supplement experiences... please keep me updated! thanks

Old March 25th, 2010, 03:11 PM   #7
MOMMYTO3BOYS
Loving that fluffy butt!

Member #: 4146
I have had to take progestron supplements with all 3 of my pregnancies. If I had not taken them I would not have been able to carry any of the boys. The DRs aren't sure why but my progestron deosn't go up like everyone elses does! Once we started progestron in each pregnancy we were never tested again!

MOMMYTO3BOYS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
progesterone, supplements