Welcome to TMP's trying to conceive, pregnancy & parenting forums!
TTC & Pregnancy Tools: Ovulation Calculator | hCG Calculator | Due Date Calculator
The TMP Store

Preconception, Pregnancy, Parenting & You

Go Back   The Mommy Playbook > 2008 - 2012 Playgroups > 2010 Playgroups > March - April 2010 Playgroup

Acid Reflux, or Heartburn? - March - April 2010 Playgroup

Old August 25th, 2009, 11:46 AM   #1
Coney Island Baby

Member #: 8383
Acid Reflux, or Heartburn?

Sorry for asking such a naive question at my ripe old age of 34... but... what is the difference between heartburn, and acid reflux? I don't know which of the two I'm experiencing, but it's something. I get it the worst after I eat. It feels like mild nausea. And it's like a weird feeling at the top of my throat, which feels like I might puke a little, but I never do. And then my chest sometimes also feels odd, like I have a gas bubble there. I hit it lightly with my fist, and it makes me burp. And when I do, I almost throw up a little.

This isn't anything I had before being pregnant, so I'm sort of new to this odd... symptom? And I don't know which of the two I have. Or do I have both?

Thanks!

Coney Island Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Please register or login to remove these ads.

Old August 25th, 2009, 11:52 AM   #2
Tes

Member #: 3696
I think it's the same

It's no fun, whatever it is. Tums were my BEST FRIEND while pregnant.

Tes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2009, 12:08 PM   #3
Coney Island Baby

So heartburn and acid reflux are the same thing? Ok, see, I didn't know that. lol I've just never really had this issue before, so I know it MUST be a pregnancy thing.

I have also never had a hemorrhoid before, and I sincerely hope I don't get introduced to one of those, too, on this 9 month journey. *shudder*

Ahhh... now there's a funny burning in my chest, that feels a bit better every time I burp. But the burps burn a little. I feel SO SEXY! Thanks for clearing that up for me!

Old August 25th, 2009, 12:14 PM   #4
Tes

Member #: 3696
Take some Tums

I got hems too It's from pressure later on and constipation. Although, they weren't bad this pregnancy at all...

Pregnancy is a basket of fun Good and bad stuff...well worth it though.

But don't suffer with your heartburn...just take some Tums and call it a day.

And don't lay down after you eat and eat smaller, lighter meals if it becomes a problem.

I got heartburn from 7dpo on. It woke me up on 7dpo and i was like, hmmm this is odd

I haven't had it since I gave birth.

Tes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2009, 12:41 PM   #5
Coney Island Baby

OHH!! I always lay down after I eat, because the feeling makes me feel miserable. So I lay down, to feel better, and I feel worse. Which makes me not want to get up, and to lay down even longer.

Now I will try not to lay down after eating, instead! Good to know. Thanks so much!

It woke me up too, about 12 dpo, in the middle of the night. I was suspicious then, because I never get this sort of thing. But it feels like it's been getting WORSE lately. BAHHHH!!!!!

Thanks again sweetie!

Old August 25th, 2009, 01:14 PM   #6
daniellemax

Member #: 9589
I think acid reflux actually feels like something is in your throat burning. Heartburn is just more of burning and hurting in your chest, I am not totally sure that makes since. But eat tums and DO NOT lie down after you eat.

daniellemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2009, 03:05 PM   #7
TXmommy24

Member #: 6860
I agree...try to stay in an upright position for as long as possible after eating. I take a Pepcid 30 min before I eat and it helps me SO much!

TXmommy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2009, 11:28 AM   #8
Hayduk1980

Member #: 5708
I've been getting acid reflux lately and it's basically when you eat then throw up a little in your mouth. Just that acid feeling, not nauseous, just comes back up. From what I understand, heartburn actually has a burning sensation - I haven't had that.

Hayduk1980 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
acid, heartburn?, reflux