Welcome to TMP's trying to conceive, pregnancy & parenting forums!
TTC & Pregnancy Tools: Ovulation Calculator | hCG Calculator | Due Date Calculator
The TMP Store

Preconception, Pregnancy, Parenting & You

Go Back   The Mommy Playbook > Parenting & Family Forums > Oh Baby! (birth to age one)

Formula and Reflux - Oh Baby! (birth to age one)

Old July 13th, 2009, 10:30 PM   #1
codajo

Member #: 5796
Question Formula and Reflux

I thought we had this under control but I'm thinking not so much! Travis has been vomiting again and acting extremely uncomfortable when he eats. I got so excited when he moved up to 4oz, but he vomited one day and now we're lucky to get him to eat 3oz at a feeding. We have an appointment tomorrow. Right now he's taking Zantac (has been for about a month) and eating Good Start Supreme Soy. I'm not sure about either one of those anymore. DH's mom works for a pediatrician and hers said that they prescribe Prevacid and do not like the Good Start formula. I've heard that thicker formula helps with the vomiting/reflux? I didn't know if anyone had advice. I know I've posted something about this, but I'm hoping to get some info before I go in the office tomorrow so I can have some information to support my case!

codajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Please register or login to remove these ads.

Old July 13th, 2009, 11:17 PM   #2
Rydien

Member #: 2073
DD's on Zantac and it seems to work okay. What I really noticed a difference with was thickening her formula. Her pedi. recommended I add rice cereal to it. There's also a formula made just for reflux, but I can't remember the name of it now.

Rydien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2009, 06:51 AM   #3
shanna

Member #: 3415
Shaela is on Enfamil AR LIPIL. The AR is added rice I think. Anyways, it has Rice cereal already in it! They gave it and Zantac to her! You should ask the doctor about that!

shanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2009, 08:58 AM   #4
Melina
Loving Mommyhood!

Member #: 4552
Katie was on Good start protect plus and I took her to a new pediatrician that put her on similac alimentum (the hypoallergenic formula) and is switching her medication to prevacid. so far she doesn't seem more comfy but she does spit up FAR less than she used to. we're down to maybe twice a day, and they're not nearly as huge as they used to be. the alimentum IS expensive, but its thicker. We tried thickening the good start w/rice cereal and it gave her tummyaches I think, because she ended up unhappier than before.

Melina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2009, 09:16 AM   #5
crystalblue
mom to 3 kids

Member #: 8707
All three of my kids had reflux. My pediatrician recommended thickening the formula with rice cereal. We put a tablespoon of rice cereal for every ounce so it is thick but not so much that they can't drink it. Also, all three are lactose intolerant and we put them on Lactose Free formula which also helped to cut down on the reflux.

crystalblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2009, 10:56 AM   #6
Gir
Single Mommin' It

Member #: 7852
Madison had reflux, so we had to put her on Enfamil AR. It worked great! The AR stands for Added Rice. The only thing I hated about that formula was that you mix it up, and have to wait 5 minutes for it to thicken before giving it to the baby, and when you have a hungry, demanding baby, those 5 minutes feel like forever! It also stains clothes a lot easier, so you have to be careful with that as well.

Gir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2009, 12:26 PM   #7
gracefaith
Pelvic tilts fix that!

Member #: 173
A lot of refluxy babies are sensitive to dairy AND soy, so a hypoallergenic formula may make a big difference for you.

gracefaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2009, 06:56 PM   #8
Caitlin

Member #: 4496
Quote:
Originally Posted by gracefaith View Post
A lot of refluxy babies are sensitive to dairy AND soy, so a hypoallergenic formula may make a big difference for you.

This is what we discovered with Aiden. He has improved SO much since being on Prevacid and Similac Alimentum.

Caitlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
formula, reflux