Welcome to TMP's trying to conceive, pregnancy & parenting forums!
TTC & Pregnancy Tools: Ovulation Calculator | hCG Calculator | Due Date Calculator
The TMP Store

Preconception, Pregnancy, Parenting & You

Go Back   The Mommy Playbook > Parenting & Family Forums > Oh Baby! (birth to age one)

reflux mommies- need your help! - Oh Baby! (birth to age one)

Old July 5th, 2009, 11:00 AM   #1
September
Mama 2 Five

Member #: 6131
Crying reflux mommies- need your help!

what were the symptoms that led to the diagnosis of reflux, and how long did it go undiagnosed?

no, i'm not asking for kadie, i'm asking for bela's nephew. both baby and mom-who is breastfeeding-are miserable and she is very frustrated because he vomits and spits up, among other symptoms like screaming at the breast, not sleeping well, nursing constantly, sucking on a pacifier so hard it leaves marks on his face, gaining too much weight (doc said to not feed him on demand), and high pitched wailing, very frequently and it's been going of for weeks, everyday. based on what i've read it seems to me he could have reflux but she said the doctor has been hesitant to diagnose his symptoms as anything.

mom also had/has food allergies so it's possible he could have some sort of sensitivity/allergy too, right? because of that she's debating formula, worried that something she is eating is causing this, but is struggling with the emotional side of breastfeeding/formula feeding. i would like to see her continue to breastfeed because of the benefits but told her she needed to do what she needed to do for the baby, and if formula worked better that was OK. her mom told her to try a can of Prosobee...anyone know anything about that?

September is offline   Reply With Quote
Please register or login to remove these ads.

Old July 5th, 2009, 09:57 PM   #2
filbert143
nerdgirl

Member #: 3353
I'm just copying the link to the thread that I started a few weeks ago. It had a lot of great info in it and a really good link too. It answered a lot of my questions.

http://www.themommyplaybook.com/foru...d.php?t=149957

filbert143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2009, 10:09 PM   #3
White Star
Rockin with the TMP girl

Member #: 130
Non-stop sucking. When an adult has heart burn they go chew some Tums or get a glass of milk. It's common for reflux babies to gain a lot of weight. This makes doctors downplay the seriousness of the vomiting and other symptoms because "but he's not loosing weight! If he threw up as much as you said he'd be loosing weight." sure but if the kid nurses around the clock...

crying, high pitched for hours

fussing at the breast, always wanting to nurse

arching his back

sudden screaming

The most likely allergy is dairy and soy. She could keep a food diary. It takes what mom eats about 6 hours to get into the milk. See if she can connect it to his bad periods.

Burp him often. Keep him upright as much as possible. Bouncy seat, chest to chest in a sling, roll up a blanket to put under the head of the crib mattress.

She could try larger more spaced feedings. Comfort nursing as much as it helped only triggered more stomach acid to be produced and compounded his problem. I had to cut out the comfort nursing and space out the feeds.

Once her supply is established she could try block feeding, the thicker hind milk can stay down better.

She may just have to park herself in the doctor's office with the baby and refuse to leave until something is done. I had to do it. Many times.

I'd be wary of formula until all breastfeeding options have been tried first. Formula trials with a refluxy possibly sensitive child can be a nightmare.

I know a few mothers who give Mylanta Cherry Supreme to newborns for reflux. Although I have no idea of the dosing as it's based on weight so she'd need her doctor's help.

White Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2009, 10:13 PM   #4
gracefaith
Pelvic tilts fix that!

Member #: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Star View Post
She could try larger more spaced feedings. Comfort nursing as much as it helped only triggered more stomach acid to be produced and compounded his problem. I had to cut out the comfort nursing and space out the feeds.
It was the opposite for us. Reed did much better on smaller more frequent feeds. Many babies and adults get worse heartburn on an empty stomach.

gracefaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2009, 09:50 AM   #5
September
Mama 2 Five

thanks ladies!

they tried gas drops and they worked well. could it be just gas? they also gave him some chamomile tea which eased symptoms.

both her mom and i told her to keep a food diary but she hasn't started one yet. i also told her not to hesitate to call the LC. i thought if nothing else she could take what the LC said, if it indicated an issues beyond their control, and report back to the doctor.

Old July 6th, 2009, 10:03 AM   #6
crystalblue
mom to 3 kids

Member #: 8707
The symptoms of reflux are also similar to colic- arching back; high pitched wail; constantly wanting to suck. All three of my kids have reflux and also had colic. If he improves with the gas drops it could be colic. Does the crying and other symptoms occur throughout the day or does it worsen as the afternoon progresses into night? If it worsens later in the day it could be colic.

crystalblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2009, 10:41 AM   #7
White Star
Rockin with the TMP girl

Member #: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by September View Post
thanks ladies!

they tried gas drops and they worked well. could it be just gas?
DS had lots of gas we went through bottles of gas drops. If they find something that works - go with it!

White Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2009, 11:48 AM   #8
September
Mama 2 Five

Crystal~ it's not one specific time. from what she was saying the symptoms are on and off all day and night long.

Tags
help!, mommies-, reflux