Welcome to TMP's trying to conceive, pregnancy & parenting forums!
TTC & Pregnancy Tools: Ovulation Calculator | hCG Calculator | Due Date Calculator
The TMP Store

Preconception, Pregnancy, Parenting & You

Go Back   The Mommy Playbook > Parenting & Family Forums > Oh Baby! (birth to age one)

Reflux advice needed *cross posted* - Oh Baby! (birth to age one)

Old September 2nd, 2009, 02:37 PM   #1
Casey

Member #: 6646
Reflux advice needed *cross posted*

Please share any advice you have on dealing with a reflux baby. For example, keep them upright for at least 30 minutes after eating, let them sleep upright, etc... Anything is welcome.

Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Please register or login to remove these ads.

Old September 2nd, 2009, 02:56 PM   #2
filbert143
nerdgirl

Member #: 3353
I found this online for you...

Quote:
Feed smaller amounts per feeding (at least 1 ounce less than you have been). Maintain the total feeding time at less than 20 minutes. For nursing mothers, try nursing on one side per feeding and pumping the other side, then alternate sides for next feeding.
Wait at least two and a half hours between feedings because it takes that long for the stomach to empty itself.
Avoid tight diapers because they add pressure on the stomach. Also, do not put pressure on the abdomen or play vigorously with your child right after meals.
After meals, try to hold your baby in an upright position. Use a front-pack, backpack, or swing for 30-60 minutes. Reduce time in a sitting position (eg. infant seats).
Constant sucking on a pacifier can inflate the stomach with swallowed air. In addition, sucking on a bottle with too small a nipple hole can also contribute to spitting up. If the formula does not drip out at a rate of one drop per second, clean the nipple better or enlarge the hole.
Burping is less important than giving smaller feedings. Burp the baby 2 or 3 times during each feeding. Do not interrupt the feeding rhythm to burp, wait until the baby pauses and looks around. Burp each time for less than a minute.

filbert143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 03:00 PM   #3
White Star
Rockin with the TMP girl

Member #: 130
Incline the crib mattress as high as you can or get a wedge from a medical supply store but they run about $60.

The bouncer/swing will be your best friend.

Smaller more often feedings or bigger farther apart feedings - try see if either helps your baby

White Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 04:08 PM   #4
Casey

Member #: 6646
Thanks ladies!

Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 07:18 PM   #5
White Star
Rockin with the TMP girl

Member #: 130
I meant to type more but Ethan pulled out my keyboard cord.

If you plan on medicating remember certain medications are very weight sensitive [Zantac has to be raised every half pound] and most medications will stop working over time. Also some doctors are simply afraid to treat reflux with the amount of medication required. DS takes more Prevacid than most adults I know to control his reflux and took twice as much when he was 3-15 months when his reflux was worse.

Allergies or sensitives can be a contributing factor dairy, soy, eggs, are the most likely.

White Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 08:40 PM   #6
codajo

Member #: 5796
Travis has reflux. You may want to check with your doctor, but he is on Prevacid (amazing) and cereal in every bottle! He lived in his bouncer for the longest time! It was perfect. When sleeping we propped the head of his mattress. Smaller more often feedings. He was doing 3oz every 2 hours up until last week. Burp frequently. Keep upright, they say, at least 30 minutes after eating.

I think that's all I can think of now!

codajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2009, 12:01 AM   #7
LGregory
Jamberry Nails Consultant

Member #: 6349
Well all of the ladies above pretty much said what I was going to. One thing that helps Chloe a lot is patting her back after eating for a long time. She's usually very fussy at night and the only way she'll fall asleep is if I keep patting her back. Sometimes I have to put a little effort in doing so... I also read that sucking can help sometimes. So a pacifier might help some too.

LGregory is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
*cross, advice, needed, posted*, reflux