Welcome to TMP's trying to conceive, pregnancy & parenting forums!
TTC & Pregnancy Tools: Ovulation Calculator | hCG Calculator | Due Date Calculator
The TMP Store

Preconception, Pregnancy, Parenting & You

Go Back   The Mommy Playbook > 2014 Playgroups > April 2014 Play Group

Stopped taking bottles - April 2014 Play Group

Old July 4th, 2014, 08:19 AM   #1
chris917

Member #: 11700
Stopped taking bottles

Stevie is BF but has had one bottle of breastmilk a day since 2. Weeks old. He hates them and its always been hard to do but now he is just flat out refusing them. I'm in my 3rd kind of bottle with no luck. Anyone have any tips on how to get him to take his bottle?

chris917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please register or login to remove these ads.

Old July 4th, 2014, 09:33 AM   #2
My2rainbowgirls

Member #: 24740
Ugh, I'm in the same boat. Valentina hates when I try to put a bottle in her mouth and I've tried several different ones. Sometimes she'll suck on the bottle a little if I trick her. I'll let her start to suck on me and then slip the bottle in her mouth and she'll continue sucking for a little but then gets angry lol
I started her on a bottle at 2 weeks and only did it for a week and got lazy and she stopped taking it completely. I'm going to start trying again.
Hopefully you get him to take it again! If anything starts to work for you, let me know

My2rainbowgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2014, 11:01 AM   #3
amber1010

Member #: 22268
does he take a pacifier? if so try the same brand as the pacifier if he likes that was one tip that I got from my breastfeeding class

amber1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2014, 10:37 PM   #4
Liz M
One day at a time...

Member #: 10538
I started rubbing the nipple on the roof of K's mouth, and it helped him to accept it.

Liz M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2014, 11:37 PM   #5
Munko

Member #: 14753
Popping in too - some babies will refuse if they can smell you/the Breastmilk. Have others offer the bottle and see if baby will take it. Also, some babies (like my DD) prefer the feel of latex nipples VS silicone. More skin like. My DD took a top up bottle after every feed from days old (I have insufficient glandular tissue) then around 3 months she decided NAH, don't like those anymore! Some babies are just booby babies through and through! I was forced to wean since she NEEDED her formula.

With my DD she also preferred not to be held while taking a bottle when she did take them - if we held her she flipped but if we propped her head up an laid beside her while she ate, she'd do it. Being held = nursing to her, I guess!

Lots of little tricks you can try!

All else fails the doidy cup gets good reviews and can be used from newborn on up!

Munko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2014, 04:54 PM   #6
chris917

Thanks. Ill try everything suggested here.

Old July 8th, 2014, 05:07 PM   #7
MontanaGypsy
Loving My Precious Girls

Member #: 12924
Jumping in too. Nuk bottles were the lifesaver for me when I had to wean. My daughter was born in May 2010 she refused all bottles in July and I had to wean her in November. She wouldnt take any other bottle and that was my last option. The opening hits more of the top of the mouth like the breast. They are more expensive but in my opinion worth it.

MontanaGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2014, 08:07 PM   #8
chris917

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz M View Post
I started rubbing the nipple on the roof of K's mouth, and it helped him to accept it.
OMG! This worked! He actually took the whole bottle. Ty so much Liz I am so happy right now.