Welcome to TMP's trying to conceive, pregnancy & parenting forums!
TTC & Pregnancy Tools: Ovulation Calculator | hCG Calculator | Due Date Calculator
The TMP Store

Preconception, Pregnancy, Parenting & You

Go Back   The Mommy Playbook > Parenting & Family Forums > The Toddler Years

Walking - The Toddler Years

Old December 11th, 2014, 10:09 AM   #1
AmeliaPond

Member #: 13744
Walking

I have a dumb question. When they say the normal age range for walking is 12-15 months (or whatever)...do they mean that by that time they are full-on walking all the time? Or just that they are physically able to walk?

I am just curious because Henry is physically able to walk (though he's not all that steady most of time) but he still chooses to crawl everywhere.

AmeliaPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Please register or login to remove these ads.

Old December 11th, 2014, 10:49 AM   #2
Munko

Member #: 14753
Able to walk. By 18 months you want to see them primarily walking, however, even at 18 months it's not that pressing. Many toddlers will prefer to crawl until they're steadier on their feet.

I'd say by 18m at the latest, I'd expect he'd be primarily walking as his means of mobility. If by then he's still very unsteady on his feet and choosing to crawl, I may be concerned something is going on since he's had 3 months to develop that skill and it hasn't come much further.

Munko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2014, 11:35 AM   #3
AmeliaPond

Okay, thanks.

He took his first steps about a month ago. And now we've seen him walk across an entire room and turn and whatnot. But for the most part, he'd rather crawl or cruise on the furniture.

Old December 11th, 2014, 12:08 PM   #4
calucy

Member #: 21939
I think that's pretty normal, my Ot was saying they need to build muscle so it's a lot of effort to walk. So for them they may work on it for a bit each day until they get better at it.

Emrys is now walking more than crawling but it took several weeks. He just started to figure out how to get up from a seated position without holding on to anything which I think is making the difference.

calucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2014, 12:09 PM   #5
AmeliaPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by calucy View Post
I think that's pretty normal, my Ot was saying they need to build muscle so it's a lot of effort to walk. So for them they may work on it for a bit each day until they get better at it.

Emrys is now walking more than crawling but it took several weeks. He just started to figure out how to get up from a seated position without holding on to anything which I think is making the difference.
Yeah, Henry hasn't figured that out yet. He still have to use something to steady himself/pull up on.

Old December 12th, 2014, 01:18 AM   #6
roziecakes
Maisie & Lyric's Mommy ♥

Member #: 16954
Yes, I agree. It is *able* to walk. I know a good amount of moms whose little ones aren't fully walking by 15 months. My nephew included. He did not walk until 19 months, but now is a completely normal toddler who runs around everywhere, he turns 4 tomorrow

roziecakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2014, 10:24 AM   #7
AmeliaPond

Thanks everyone. I guess I always thought it meant he should be fully walking by now. I'm glad he's still falling into the normal range. Woohoo!

(Though I really, really hope he's ditched crawling by vacation because I am totally grossed out thinking about him crawling on a hotel floor...ha!)

Tags
walking