Welcome to TMP's trying to conceive, pregnancy & parenting forums!
TTC & Pregnancy Tools: Ovulation Calculator | hCG Calculator | Due Date Calculator
The TMP Store

Preconception, Pregnancy, Parenting & You

Go Back   The Mommy Playbook > Parenting & Family Forums > The Toddler Years

Traveling with a Toddler - The Toddler Years

Old August 10th, 2014, 03:31 PM   #1
AmeliaPond

Member #: 13744
Traveling with a Toddler

We'll be flying to California in February. Our son will be almost 17 months old at that time. We're going to Disneyland and visiting the in-laws. We'll be there for 8 nights.

Any tips for flying with a toddler?
Any tips for staying in a hotel with a toddler?

What are your "must bring" items? (Or "must buy" when you arrive items?)

AmeliaPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Please register or login to remove these ads.

Old August 10th, 2014, 03:58 PM   #2
calucy

Member #: 21939
I can report back in January on this as we will be travel king to the UK again.

But a lot of the websites I read suggested bringing a couple new toys for the plane that your child hasn't played with before.

calucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2014, 04:08 PM   #3
tellybeans

Member #: 18002
We just flew to the US and back in July when DS was 19mo. I use a soft baby carrier and that helps him fall asleep, particularly during a long layover. It's a bit harder on the plane when you are confined and they are overstimulated by all of the new stuff. We loaded all electronics with his favorite shows and he watched as much as he could. We bought a pair of toddler earphones for the occasion and he was pretty good with them. Not the best parenting style but a lifesaver for an extremely busy toddler in a confined space! We also asked for a bassinet seat even though he is too big for it, because we were able to get a bulkhead seat and have some more room. He also couldn't annoy anyone in front of him with the tray tables or kicking seats. I made 'play packs' with small, new toys like finger puppets, a buckle toy, a travel magnadoodle and stickers. I wrapped things in wrapping paper so he would spend more time 'discovering' them. I would put small stickers onto his hands and let him pull them off and decorate a piece of paper. The airline gave a set of markers and I let him draw all over himself which he got a huge kick out of since it's not normally allowed. Also had some books. Favorite snacks and treats are great as well, particularly things that take a long time to eat. We had several different containers to open/close and store things in. Definitely a sippy cup/bottle and maybe a lollipop or two for take off and landing to make sure they are clearing their ears. The airline should have milk for you, but you can also take liquids through security if they are in a bottle/child cup. You can also take baby foods-- we had no problem with those 'smoothie' pouches. We asked the staff to give us two meals at first, so one adult ate and the other fed the baby. Then the 3rd meal was served a few minutes later and we switched roles. Really hard to keep the food on those tiny trays with a wiggle monster! We let him do some rounds down the aisles and he loved making friends (you can always tell who the grandparents are on the flights!). Good luck to you!

tellybeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2014, 02:17 PM   #4
AmeliaPond

I'm thinking those little food pouches to eat during take off and landing to keep him swallowing.

Good idea about a new toy or two for the plane. Hadn't thought of that!

What do you think of these headphones for a kid his age? http://www.amazon.com/Kidz-Gear-Wire...ler+headphones

Old August 11th, 2014, 02:38 PM   #5
calucy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeliaPond View Post
I'm thinking those little food pouches to eat during take off and landing to keep him swallowing. Good idea about a new toy or two for the plane. Hadn't thought of that! What do you think of these headphones for a kid his age? http://www.amazon.com/Kidz-Gear-Wire...ler+headphones
I have heard kids headphones are great for watching DVDs or the in flight entertainment. I'm going to see how Emrys is with those things and if he can sit and watch a video or two I am going to buy something like that.

Old August 11th, 2014, 02:58 PM   #6
AmeliaPond

That's what I'm thinking. Henry doesn't watch and t.v. or movies yet. But I am certainly willing to see if he'll watch something on our flight. I'll probably get some headphone a month or so in advance so he can 'practice' with them.

How do you all bathe your kids in a hotel room? Dumb question, I know. But do you bring your own non-slip mat? Do you clean the tub out first? I'm so grossed out by hotel bathrooms....haha. Probably because we stay in cheaper hotels.

Old August 11th, 2014, 03:42 PM   #7
calucy

I didn't stay in a hotel so hadn't really thought about it. But we had an inflatable duck tub we used.

Old August 17th, 2014, 01:34 PM   #8
AmeliaPond

I was originally thinking we'd bring our duck tub but I think he'll be too big for it then.

Dumb questions...does a 16 month old need a bib when they eat? Will I need to bring toddler utensils for eating?

Tags
toddler, traveling