Welcome to TMP's trying to conceive, pregnancy & parenting forums!
TTC & Pregnancy Tools: Ovulation Calculator | hCG Calculator | Due Date Calculator
The TMP Store

Preconception, Pregnancy, Parenting & You

Go Back   The Mommy Playbook > 2008 - 2012 Playgroups > 2012 Playgroups > July 2012 Playgroup

Starting solids? - July 2012 Playgroup

Old December 1st, 2012, 08:00 AM   #1
Eashanna
Loving Gavin

Member #: 16546
Starting solids?

Gavin has been staring us down while we eat! Lol we are still holding off until 6 months but I am starting to think of what food I would like to make him.

What foods do you guys plan to make your babies? What do you plan to start with? Do the foods need to be steamed? Or can I be more creative with it like broil it with some flavor?

Eashanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Please register or login to remove these ads.

Old December 1st, 2012, 08:44 AM   #2
AJH1544
My DH's #1 Fan

Member #: 16785
I was going to start with avocado but have now switched to sweet potatoes.

Ive read not to season because "solids before one are just for fun" to get used to new textures.

AJH1544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2012, 12:12 PM   #3
Eashanna
Loving Gavin

Member #: 16546
I wanted to start with sweet potatoes too but someone told me not to start them with sweet foods I don't know what to do.

Eashanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2012, 12:40 PM   #4
itworksmommy
WAHM DS9/20/10 DD7/25/12

Member #: 21222
Aw I'm not sure what we are going to do. Definitely waiting until 6 months but everyone says some sort of cereal. But like you all said start with real food! My DS who is 2 now hated baby food (jar or made!)

itworksmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2012, 01:28 PM   #5
Hamslice

Member #: 6324
I want to start with something green, not sure what yet.

Hamslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2012, 03:41 PM   #6
Munko

Member #: 14753
I'm just going to jump in if you ladies don't mind!

Breastmilk and formula are sweet - breastmilk almost tastes like sugar water, if you've tasted it!

I asked my dr about starting with veggies or meat so baby wouldn't get used to the sweet stuff...but they already only know sweet. My dr did say to start with something iron rich, which we did (cereal) and then from there pick whatever we wanted, but that fruit may be the most successful to start with as its not such a big shock to their tastes from what they're used to. We did try to introduce meat early for the iron and she wasn't having it, so we stuck with cereal (oat and now wheat) She loves meat now though.

For what it's worth, we started with cereal and fruit, both of which are sweet and my DD would eat veggies and meat all day if I let her, she much prefers her veggies and if meat is mixed in she'll eat twice as much!

Once they hit about 8 months you can start adding seasonings like cinnamon or a touch or garlic or whatever and then you can experiment with stronger flavors as they get closer to a year and solids become a bigger part of their intake. Start bland and plain to begin with, though.

Munko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2012, 08:27 AM   #7
itworksmommy
WAHM DS9/20/10 DD7/25/12

Member #: 21222
Awesome thoughts and advice! Thanks! I have also heard doing different things like you said wheat.

itworksmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2012, 12:01 PM   #8
honeybee91

Member #: 12027
I was thinking of starting with carrot first then sweet potato and apple and pear

honeybee91 is offline   Reply With Quote