Welcome to TMP's trying to conceive, pregnancy & parenting forums!
TTC & Pregnancy Tools: Ovulation Calculator | hCG Calculator | Due Date Calculator
The TMP Store

Preconception, Pregnancy, Parenting & You

Go Back   The Mommy Playbook > Parenting & Family Forums > Oh Baby! (birth to age one)

Birth Marks - Oh Baby! (birth to age one)

Old March 10th, 2015, 10:40 AM   #1
MissusE

Member #: 26564
Birth Marks

Anyone have any experience with birth marks? LO has several. A "stork bite" on the back of her neck, a tiny one on her eyelid, the big/fairly light one between her eyes, and the small, bright one by her mouth. Her pediatrician initially said that they should all fade by the time she's two, but when he saw her at 5 weeks and the one by her mouth had actually gotten darker, he seemed a little less sure. Obviously I don't care, she's perfect regardless. Just wondering what to expect.

MissusE is offline   Reply With Quote
Please register or login to remove these ads.

Old March 10th, 2015, 10:43 AM   #2
Munko

Member #: 14753
Popping in!

DD had a stork bite on the back of her neck and the top of her head (HUGE and dark - they initially told me it was a hematoma but it never went away :hehe) and a cluster of small ones on the small of her back.

I can't see the one on the back of her neck or top of her head at all unless she gets really worked up and hot, then she gets a bit red. The ones on her back are suuuuper light now, can hardly see at all.

Munko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2015, 12:53 PM   #3
cnd29

Member #: 24357
My guy has 2 "strawberries" which are hemangiomas but they're on his back. I'm told they should go away eventually but it'll take a long time, more than just 2 years. Not sure if that's the same thing though.

cnd29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2015, 02:23 PM   #4
alliec

Member #: 19254
My son had a fairly visible stork bite between his eyes at birth. Now at 16 months it's very faint and only really shows up when he gets upset and his whole face goes red

alliec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2015, 04:19 PM   #5
MissusE

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnd29 View Post
My guy has 2 "strawberries" which are hemangiomas but they're on his back. I'm told they should go away eventually but it'll take a long time, more than just 2 years. Not sure if that's the same thing though.
You know, I really wonder if it might be a hemangioma. I'm looking at progressions of hemangiomas online and it looks pretty similar to hers (below, birth to just a few minutes ago at almost 9 weeks). It looks like they can start getting pretty gnarly around 5 or 6 months or so. As you can see, there's been a ton of change in hers. Lately the skin on it has been getting kind of flaky and crusty. Coconut oil seems to help somewhat but not totally. The one between her eyes has not changed like this. What has the progression with your kiddo been like, cnd29?

Old March 15th, 2015, 10:08 PM   #6
cnd29

The coloring and size of the one on her chin is similar to the 2 my little guy has. He had one of them since he was a month or 2 and the 2nd one showed up later. The first one is small and maybe dime sized and is round-ish and a little raised. The second one is a little bigger like a nickel and is more like a cluster of freckles but red. I'd take a pic for you but he's asleep. He also has some pinkish spots on the back of his neck at the hairline I'm keeping my eye on.

Old March 30th, 2015, 02:49 PM   #7
MissusE

Just a follow-up, I took her to the doctor and it is indeed a hemangioma. It's gotten a bit worse since the last picture. Hopefully it levels off soon. Poor baby!

Old March 30th, 2015, 07:41 PM   #8
cnd29

Well the good news is they go away eventually, although it takes a long time. Hopefully that's as big as it gets. My LO's haven't really changed for a couple months.

Tags
birth, marks