Welcome to TMP's trying to conceive, pregnancy & parenting forums!
TTC & Pregnancy Tools: Ovulation Calculator | hCG Calculator | Due Date Calculator
The TMP Store

Preconception, Pregnancy, Parenting & You

Go Back   The Mommy Playbook > Parenting & Family Forums > TMP's Special Kids

Early Intervention - Speech - TMP's Special Kids

Old November 3rd, 2014, 07:18 PM   #1
AmeliaPond

Member #: 13744
Early Intervention - Speech

Has anyone here had someone come out and evaluate their child's speech development before? If so, at what age?

AmeliaPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Please register or login to remove these ads.

Old November 3rd, 2014, 07:31 PM   #2
Munko

Member #: 14753
I haven't had DD evaluated but when I was sent to do evals we didn't recommend before 18m unless the child wasn't making any sounds or gestures or understanding any language. Even at 18m a lot of evals sent to speech end up being told not to worry after a speech therapist checks them out!

Munko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2014, 07:32 PM   #3
A&C's mommy

Member #: 14885
Jumping in- I had my son evaluated twice- the first time was around 18 months and again at 2. He had a delay in expressive speech, but not enough to qualify for services. A few months after he turned 2, his speech exploded and he hasn't stopped talking since!

A&C's mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2014, 11:28 PM   #4
AmeliaPond

Okay. Just trying to figure out when we need to be 'concerned.' Henry doesn't really say anything yet at almost 14 months. I mean...he says "mamama" and "dadada" but I'm not entirely sure he knows what they mean.

He seems to understand what other things are though, like various toys. But he never attempts to say any real words or even repeat anything we say.

I am not really sure what's 'normal' or not though.

Old November 3rd, 2014, 11:37 PM   #5
nimrastar
is TTC #2!

Member #: 19751
We got DS evaluated at around 13 months because his pediatrician was concerned that he wasn't saying mama or dada consistently with meaning. He qualified for help and it certainly doesn't hurt- especially if your program is free and they come to your home like they do for us.

They help you nail down what's normal and what kind of sounds to listen for and what sounds he's currently making. What was actually the case for us is that we weren't recognizing a LOT of his attempts at speech. They gave us a lot of good information on how to recognize and encourage speech in toddlers. I definitely recommend going for it if you qualify.

~Nim

nimrastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2014, 11:46 PM   #6
AmeliaPond

Yeah, it's free here. We had them come out when he was a few years old to see if we qualified for free physical therapy after his torticollis diagnosis. He didn't qualify but I was glad they came out and it was really interesting how they evaluated him.

Maybe we'll call soon and just ask them what they think.

Our pediatrician wasn't concerned but she's pretty laid back.

Henry doesn't walk on his own yet either but I'm not as concerned about that.

Old November 4th, 2014, 09:36 AM   #7
Munko

Member #: 14753
I wouldn't worry just yet. No words is completely normal for 14months still.

And PP is right, often parents miss pseudo words or attempts at words that sounds nothing like the word, it's very hard to tell sometimes at these early ages, and they can be easily missed!

Is he communicating in other ways? Pointing? Crawling to things he wants as whining? Reaching for things

ETA: having him evaluated also never hurts of you think it would ease your mind. They'll also give you ideas of things to do to encourage talking/more language.

Last edited by Munko; November 4th, 2014 at 09:39 AM..
Munko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2014, 10:34 AM   #8
AmeliaPond

He points but not necessarily at something he wants. He whines/cries when he needs help...like if a truck is too big/heavy but he is trying to lift it onto the table...stuff like that. I wish he had a better way to communicate than getting upset though, of course.

He doesn't really wave much or anything. I mean, he knows how...but if we say "wave" or whatever, he doesn't.

Tags
early, intervention, speech