Welcome to TMP's trying to conceive, pregnancy & parenting forums!
TTC & Pregnancy Tools: Ovulation Calculator | hCG Calculator | Due Date Calculator
The TMP Store

Preconception, Pregnancy, Parenting & You

Go Back   The Mommy Playbook > Parenting & Family Forums > TMP's Special Kids

to home school or not - TMP's Special Kids

Old March 4th, 2014, 12:41 AM   #1
MontanaGypsy
Loving My Precious Girls

Member #: 12924
to home school or not

J has been in the special needs preschool for 2 years. Part of us waiting to move till next year is that I was told by my therapists that her teacher wasn't sure if she would progress to kindergarten. Upon talking to her teacher she said she will definitely go on to kindergarten. Then in general conversation with the behavioral therapist about J she stated that they thought size wise she didn't fit in preschool for another year. She's tall...age 4 wearing regular 7 pants to fit her length. Since when does size regulate if she is intellectually ready to move forward? I am thinking another conversation with her teacher and if I don't get anywhere going to the superintendent. If he/she doesn't help just pull her out of school. Do another year of preschool at home and then entering her in kindergarten at age 6 after we move home?

I don't know what to do but I do know moving her forward because of her size is wrong and will only set her up to fail later on. Opinions?

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Forum Runner

MontanaGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Please register or login to remove these ads.

Old March 4th, 2014, 12:59 PM   #2
mikeysmommy8
samanthas mommy too!

Member #: 18614
Am I the only one thinking that is coocoo? What does height have to do with anything? I must have missed where you decided to wait to move for another year, thought you were getting close. If the schools going to be strange like that could you possibly get the move going earlier and start fresh in september with the new school? She wouldn't be in kindergarten (or another year of pre k) til then anyway right?

mikeysmommy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2014, 01:20 PM   #3
Munko

Member #: 14753
That's a weird statement. Does that mean I should hold my kiddo back because she's sure to be smaller than most of the kids her age come school time?

Was she just mentioning it in passing as in "she really looks too big to be in play school!" Kinda like how people would always comment that my DD looked too little to be walking? Or did you get the sense that they were actually considering her size as a reason not to keep her there?

Munko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2014, 01:30 PM   #4
MileHighMama

Member #: 25863
Maybe she was developmentally already assured that your daughter will be moving onto KG, and was also saying she had outgrown her peers and would do just fine in a new environment with children of the same or close developmental and physical levels?

MileHighMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2014, 11:43 AM   #5
MontanaGypsy
Loving My Precious Girls

I keep trying to reply to this from my phone but it goes back to the main screen after it gets so long. Owell this way is better because I can quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysmommy8 View Post
Am I the only one thinking that is coocoo? What does height have to do with anything? I must have missed where you decided to wait to move for another year, thought you were getting close. If the schools going to be strange like that could you possibly get the move going earlier and start fresh in september with the new school? She wouldn't be in kindergarten (or another year of pre k) til then anyway right?
The therapist said that shes way bigger than what the other kids will be so she wont really "fit" in with the size of the other kids. Sad that it has come to this. As for waiting to move there are so many reasons to wait....
1. J is seeing a new psychologist. We are working on finding out the degree of her autism. This psychologist does not believe in asking questions over a 45 minute period and diagnosing a child. I love that!!!! So far she has spent several hours over the last several weeks with J and still wants more time. It may take a few more months.
2. The whole school thing....this needs to get straightened out before we move. That way they wont put her in a grade according to her age.
3. CPS has been called on us. It was completely false but they still have to do their investigation. I dont know how long that will take but I dont want to up and move before its been closed.
4. Since it will be a huge climate change for the girls I want to make sure we go through a full summer before hitting fall/winter. It would be just unfair to them!!! This winter our lowest temp was 50-something. Lowest temp in Montana was well below 0 on several occasions.
5. And this one is selfish We can save more $$$ and my best friend will go with us when we go instead of waiting a year after we get there. Since she is the only person I trust with the girls I wont have to wait a year to get a break either.
So while we want to be there yesterday it makes so much more sense to wait till April 2015 to go home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munko View Post
That's a weird statement. Does that mean I should hold my kiddo back because she's sure to be smaller than most of the kids her age come school time?

Was she just mentioning it in passing as in "she really looks too big to be in play school!" Kinda like how people would always comment that my DD looked too little to be walking? Or did you get the sense that they were actually considering her size as a reason not to keep her there?
I think they are actually considering it because of her size. I first heard about it from the new psychologist. Some of her observation was at school. The teacher had told her that she was worried about her not progressing in her school work. Then I called the teacher to tell her we were not going to be moving for a year and one of those reasons was that at this point we didnt know if she would be progressing to kindergarten. That is when the teacher told me that she would definitely be going on. Then a couple weeks later while I was signing paperwork to allow CPS to get all of the girls records from the therapist we started talking about J. This is when she stated that the teacher told her that J was so big that she just wouldnt "fit" in preschool any longer. That she is so tall that she would tower over the other kids if she remained in preschool. So What!!!!!

After talking to my mom she said they tried to hold my little brother back in kindergarten because he was so small....that was like 30 years ago too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHighMama View Post
Maybe she was developmentally already assured that your daughter will be moving onto KG, and was also saying she had outgrown her peers and would do just fine in a new environment with children of the same or close developmental and physical levels?
J is not developmentally ready. I can tell that by how she is at home. She can barely count to 5 (however since I got my new tattoo with 12 flowers she can count them consistently in order...so proud of her). If you ask her to cound something else she gets lost at either 4 or 6. I dont know if this is because a tattoo is fun to count and she isnt concentrating. Maybe when shes concentrating she gets more flustered? I did take her to school on Tuesday to show the teacher. Her teacher actually teared up because they have worked so hard to get her to go to 5 and she popped off numbers through 12. Neither the teacher or I knew she even knew 11 or 12 (although I work with my other DD to 20 so I know she hears them). She only recognizes 2 letters J and O....so reading is not even close right now. Heck she cant even say all the abc's yet. Since she will be 5 in June she should be able to do this (or at least I think she should...K has been reciting the abc's for at least a year. She will be 4 in May). She cant properly answer why questions. For example I just asked her why a bird makes a nest and her answer was....because the flower is pink and they sleep in the flower all day. Then the dragon comes to see them and he flies in the sky too. Then Peetree (land before time) and her mommy talks. Your not suppose to make a mess in your room. Not one portion of this answer has anything to do with the original question I asked her....although I wish she lived by the no mess in the bedroom She does try to write/draw but coloring she still just scribbles. She has good points too. She can name all of the colors, all animals (even exotic ones) and what sound they make, and is eager to help when asked. She is so articulate about making sure she does everything right when you ask her to help you. These are things we have worked with her on for a very long time. We are constantly doing things with her at home. For example bedtime routine is while one is getting their teeth brushed the other sits in my lap. We start with the abc's (once by themselves and once with me) then the itsy bitsy spider or baby bumble bee (just a fun song) then we count Mommy's fingers (and since Saturday Mommy's flowers ).

So I have a problem with her still having all these issue and not where she should be but still going to move her forward because shes tall. Of course shes tall she comes from a tall family but that doesnt make her automatically developmentally ready for the next step.

Old March 10th, 2014, 05:22 PM   #6
Purplescraps
*Gone to my happy place*

Member #: 1224
What? That is just weird. Size does not matter, age and readiness is. Just strange.

Purplescraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2014, 02:17 AM   #7
MileHighMama

Member #: 25863
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGypsy View Post
I keep trying to reply to this from my phone but it goes back to the main screen after it gets so long. Owell this way is better because I can quote The therapist said that shes way bigger than what the other kids will be so she wont really "fit" in with the size of the other kids. Sad that it has come to this. As for waiting to move there are so many reasons to wait.... 1. J is seeing a new psychologist. We are working on finding out the degree of her autism. This psychologist does not believe in asking questions over a 45 minute period and diagnosing a child. I love that!!!! So far she has spent several hours over the last several weeks with J and still wants more time. It may take a few more months. 2. The whole school thing....this needs to get straightened out before we move. That way they wont put her in a grade according to her age. 3. CPS has been called on us. It was completely false but they still have to do their investigation. I dont know how long that will take but I dont want to up and move before its been closed. 4. Since it will be a huge climate change for the girls I want to make sure we go through a full summer before hitting fall/winter. It would be just unfair to them!!! This winter our lowest temp was 50-something. Lowest temp in Montana was well below 0 on several occasions. 5. And this one is selfish We can save more $$$ and my best friend will go with us when we go instead of waiting a year after we get there. Since she is the only person I trust with the girls I wont have to wait a year to get a break either. So while we want to be there yesterday it makes so much more sense to wait till April 2015 to go home. I think they are actually considering it because of her size. I first heard about it from the new psychologist. Some of her observation was at school. The teacher had told her that she was worried about her not progressing in her school work. Then I called the teacher to tell her we were not going to be moving for a year and one of those reasons was that at this point we didnt know if she would be progressing to kindergarten. That is when the teacher told me that she would definitely be going on. Then a couple weeks later while I was signing paperwork to allow CPS to get all of the girls records from the therapist we started talking about J. This is when she stated that the teacher told her that J was so big that she just wouldnt "fit" in preschool any longer. That she is so tall that she would tower over the other kids if she remained in preschool. So What!!!!! After talking to my mom she said they tried to hold my little brother back in kindergarten because he was so small....that was like 30 years ago too. J is not developmentally ready. I can tell that by how she is at home. She can barely count to 5 (however since I got my new tattoo with 12 flowers she can count them consistently in order...so proud of her). If you ask her to cound something else she gets lost at either 4 or 6. I dont know if this is because a tattoo is fun to count and she isnt concentrating. Maybe when shes concentrating she gets more flustered? I did take her to school on Tuesday to show the teacher. Her teacher actually teared up because they have worked so hard to get her to go to 5 and she popped off numbers through 12. Neither the teacher or I knew she even knew 11 or 12 (although I work with my other DD to 20 so I know she hears them). She only recognizes 2 letters J and O....so reading is not even close right now. Heck she cant even say all the abc's yet. Since she will be 5 in June she should be able to do this (or at least I think she should...K has been reciting the abc's for at least a year. She will be 4 in May). She cant properly answer why questions. For example I just asked her why a bird makes a nest and her answer was....because the flower is pink and they sleep in the flower all day. Then the dragon comes to see them and he flies in the sky too. Then Peetree (land before time) and her mommy talks. Your not suppose to make a mess in your room. Not one portion of this answer has anything to do with the original question I asked her....although I wish she lived by the no mess in the bedroom She does try to write/draw but coloring she still just scribbles. She has good points too. She can name all of the colors, all animals (even exotic ones) and what sound they make, and is eager to help when asked. She is so articulate about making sure she does everything right when you ask her to help you. These are things we have worked with her on for a very long time. We are constantly doing things with her at home. For example bedtime routine is while one is getting their teeth brushed the other sits in my lap. We start with the abc's (once by themselves and once with me) then the itsy bitsy spider or baby bumble bee (just a fun song) then we count Mommy's fingers (and since Saturday Mommy's flowers ). So I have a problem with her still having all these issue and not where she should be but still going to move her forward because shes tall. Of course shes tall she comes from a tall family but that doesnt make her automatically developmentally ready for the next step.
Well I totally agree with you then that she is not ready to progress and i really hope they help you and her the way they need to! Support and prayers your way!

MileHighMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2014, 11:28 AM   #8
MontanaGypsy
Loving My Precious Girls

I talked to the superintendent's office. They said they don't allow a 5 year olds in preschool. That it's their policy. So I said then I will just pull her and homeschool her for a year before putting her in KG. She said KG isn't required by AZ but by law I had to have her enrolled at age 6. I said well by AZ state law it isn't illegal to homeschool either so I would have to take all options under consideration. That's when she said well before you do that let's have a meeting. Apparently she's setting one up in April for me to attend with her teachers therapists and her. I still think I will pull her for a year then put her in KG when we get back to Montana next year. This way I can focus more on where she is and what she needs on a one on one basis.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Forum Runner