Welcome to TMP's trying to conceive, pregnancy & parenting forums!
TTC & Pregnancy Tools: Ovulation Calculator | hCG Calculator | Due Date Calculator
The TMP Store

Preconception, Pregnancy, Parenting & You

Go Back   The Mommy Playbook > Parenting & Family Forums > TMP's Special Kids

Handling Unwanted Behavior - TMP's Special Kids

Old February 14th, 2014, 11:40 PM   #1
Nhebron1

Member #: 22814
Handling Unwanted Behavior

My son has picked up some bad habits that are driving me crazy...mostly because of the germs and potential for sickness. Specifically, he is licking things and his hands (sucking fingers, licking palm). He also picks his nose and licks his finger (repetitively) and chews his clothing.

I am not sure what to do and I am not sure if this is because of a disability or if he is just trying to drive me crazy. When I correct him, he will sometimes laughs at me and repeats things I typically tell him ("eww...stop it, that's nasty"). I don't know what to do stop this behavior and it makes me incredibly anxious when it occurs. Both my husband and I work so when I see this behavior I automatically think..."germs, sickness, lost work time."

How do you handle unwanted behavior like this?

Nhebron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please register or login to remove these ads.

Old February 14th, 2014, 11:53 PM   #2
Munko

Member #: 14753
What about a chewy for him? There are lots of options out there. My cousins little guy has one and it really cut down on his mouthy/licking behaviours. His is a short chew tube on a coiled string, attached with a clip to his belt, so he always has it within reach.

Also not sure how old your LO is, but is gum an option for him? Sometimes that can work too.
I've worked with several little ones who have had oral fixations and have done really well with having gum.

Munko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
behavior, handling, unwanted