Welcome to TMP's trying to conceive, pregnancy & parenting forums!
TTC & Pregnancy Tools: Ovulation Calculator | hCG Calculator | Due Date Calculator
The TMP Store

Preconception, Pregnancy, Parenting & You

Go Back   The Mommy Playbook > Pregnancy Forums > Labor & Birth > Birth Stories

Talia's all natural birth story (first time mom!) - Birth Stories

Old June 2nd, 2013, 08:40 PM   #1
lfw802

Member #: 23058
Talia's all natural birth story (first time mom!)

I went for my 41 week appointment on Wednesday morning. The ultrasound showed that my fluid was a bit low and the midwife suggested that we induce the next day. After waiting so long for this baby to join us, suddenly everything felt very very real! The midwife also suggested a cervix massage to help get things moving along, which we did. It wasn't as awful as it sounds. She said I might feel some cramping and have a little bloody show. A few hours later I was having some serious cramps and was losing my plug. I tried to nap but I was too uncomfortable to sleep. That was the first time I thought maybe this was more than just cramping, but I didn't want to get my hopes up so I put it out of my head. My friend from work came over around 5:30 to wish us luck before the induction in the morning. While she was there I was too uncomfortable to sit on the sofa and moved to the yoga ball instead. She said, "I think you're in labor!" That was the first time I let myself believe it was really happening--we weren't going to make it to our induction in the morning! I called the midwife after laboring at home for a few hours. Things progressed really quickly after that. We arrived at the birthing center at 9:30pm and I was already at 5 cm. The doula arrived about an hour later. I spent a lot of time sitting on the yoga ball in the shower, and moved to the jacuzzi tub for a little while but didn't like feeling trapped in the tub. The doula was amazing and made sure to keep me changing positions and moving around. By midnight I was at 9.5 cm and just needed to get past that last tiny bit of cervix to be able to push. When I did get to the pushing stage, I was pretty exhausted. I had heard that some women get an energy burst for pushing, but I definitely did not. I wasn't sure what to do to push effectively and nothing seemed to be working. I asked the midwife for help to figure out what to do, and she said to follow my body and do what felt right. I almost cried--that obviously wasn't working!! The doula could see how frustrated I was and suggested that I go back to the shower and yoga ball to relax and get past my frustration. When I came back the midwife was gone and the nurse took over for a while. Thank god for the nurse!! She taught me how to push by having me push against her finger, and made very specific suggestions, like keeping my chin down and holding my breath through the pushes. Finally all that energy seemed to be pushing the baby out. After I figured out what I was doing, I spent the next three hours pushing her out. Time was a total blur, so I'm basing this on what my husband told me later. The top of her head was visible for the last hour of pushing, but I had no interest in touching it or seeing it in a mirror. I was entirely focused on pushes and resting as much as I could in between. My totally squeamish husband was completely fascinated watching her head crown and was telling me what he could see and coaching me like one of his hockey players. Amazing! I had about ten minutes (I think) of the ring of fire and then she was finally out! The most bizarre part for me was that after HOURS of feeling her head so close to coming out, her whole body slid out like a fish in a matter of seconds. I was shocked!! She came right up on my belly and the first thing I noticed was that she has her daddy's brow line. It's so strange what you make note of during a huge life changing event. Her eyes were wide open right from the start and we nursed right after her cord stopped pulsing. She is a total champ at nursing and latching. I had a few stitches but not too bad. Our 8 pound, 14 ounce baby girl joined us at 5:29 am on 5/30/13, and I felt every bit of her 14 inch circumference head! Very proud of myself for going totally med-free, and very proud of my girl for deciding to arrive 2 hours before her scheduled induction. We are home now and exhausted but happy and healthy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-3827203519.jpg (48.6 KB, 48 views)

lfw802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please register or login to remove these ads.

Old June 4th, 2013, 03:20 PM   #2
musiclaydee
In love with my babies

Member #: 13639
That is an awesome story! Congrats to you and your perfect little one!!

musiclaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2013, 05:45 PM   #3
DisneyMommie2Be
TTC #1 Since June 2011

Member #: 24198
Wonderful story!

DisneyMommie2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2013, 05:54 PM   #4
MelaMommy
ATTITUDE OF GRATITUDE!

Member #: 15518
Congrats! What a wonderful birth!!! I got chills when I read that you had not only a girl, but also that she was born on 5/30! The reason is that I TOTALLY want a girl and even more so, a Gemini girl! I tracked my periods for the upcoming 12 months, and if everything goes as planned, my EDD will be 5/30/15! =)

Congrats again!!!

MelaMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2013, 07:13 PM   #5
twobytwo

Member #: 13454
what a great story

twobytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2013, 08:56 PM   #6
lfw802

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelaMommy View Post
Congrats! What a wonderful birth!!! I got chills when I read that you had not only a girl, but also that she was born on 5/30! The reason is that I TOTALLY want a girl and even more so, a Gemini girl! I tracked my periods for the upcoming 12 months, and if everything goes as planned, my EDD will be 5/30/15! =)

Congrats again!!!
You WANT a Gemini girl?! My chatty sweet girl has instant mood swings, in true Gemini fashion

Old November 2nd, 2013, 09:07 PM   #7
uscgwife

Member #: 24159
I love your birth story!

uscgwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2013, 09:19 AM   #8
lfw802

Thanks